I'm new to the forum so please redirect me if this topic is covered elsewhere.

My dd9 is struggling on one issue in school. She has an unusual form of dyslexia where she can't remember how to spell words (despite repetition). A particular form of this manifests in being unable to copy words. She'll often leave out a letter or group of letters, reverses b's/d's or capitalizes B's and D's to avoid directionality. After significant tests by the school (and independently) they've identified that she has an orthographic memory issue. What's really odd is that she can sight read with high comprehension and can identify misspelled words, but can't produce the right spelling even if copying. This recognition and production issue also shows up in rote memorization of math facts.

I should mention she is 3 grades ahead on vocabulary/reading comprehension/... but 2 grades behind in spelling/math. This is what is so odd.

We got an IEP in place last year for speech but the school would not recognize her difficulty in spelling/math as a learning disability (we live in California) saying that this is a learning difference and not a recognized disability. I'm still not sure what that means. We did get some accomodations where she doesn't have to copy from the board, spelling doesn't count on compositions, and no timing on math tests. Our issue is that her teacher thinks she's just not trying hard enough and this is causing my dd9 to break down in tears as she really is trying as hard as she can. It is really obvious in her writing.

We're trying to figure out what to do. My dd9 does have some social anxiety and so pulling her out for using a resource room isn't working. We feel a bit stuck and would value any advice on either working with the school or doing more outside school.

Thanks,

Buster