Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 455 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #62453 11/28/09 08:26 AM
    T
    Tiz Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    My DS7 (who has been accelerated 2 years) was quite agitated last night and after lots of small talk about his day I finally got to the bottom of things...

They were waiting for a lesson when one of the boys (all boys mentioned here other than my DS are 9 or 10) started pinching and picking on one of the other boys because of something he had done (my DS does not know what this was). My DS likes the boy who was being picked on and stood between them to try to stop the fighting. The boy doing the pinching then put both hands around my DS's neck tightly and my DS tried to push him away, the boy then punched my DS full in the stomach. DS said that at this point he was doubled over in pain and he then withdrew and stood near the girls, at which point the teacher arrived! The teacher does not know what happened.

I am absolutely furious with what has happened, but how do I go about dealing with it - is this normal "boy behaviour" for the older age group? I don't like the idea of children who are so much bigger hurting my DS but I do understand that teachers can't be present all the time and I also don't want the school to blame the acceleration for the problem as my DS is generally so much happier at school(not that they would blame the acceleration but I don't want to cause problems). Has anyone else dealt with a similar situation?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated...

It may be normal behavior, but I'm sure it's against the school rules! How does your DS feel about reporting the incident? Is he afraid of the bully now?

I would approach this with the school as a bullying issue. The bully was also picking on another kid (who presumably wasn't accelerated...) I don't think they can argue that your DS is too young/small/socially immature/whatever and therefore somehow deserved or provoked the bullying.

Focus on the bully's behavior. What the bully did was against the rules.

I'd talk to the teacher. The picking at each other, like the older boys were doing, is common among that age group. Most of them pick & tease and are best of buds at the next recess. That's not to say it's OK, but a lot of it is addressed by reminding the boys to quit it. Advise your son to step back and observe & if he's concerned about someone's safety then he needs to go get an adult.
    The punch to the gut was too much though. That's not 'fair' among the unwritten code of conduct among boys picking on each other. Hitting a smaller boy is bullying, and I'd ask for it to be addressed by the teacher and/or the principal.

no one is allowed to punch your child. This is not normal, not acceptable, not allowed, not tolerated.

period.

C
    C
    Yes. I would take the bullying route. 9 and 10 YOs should know better.

And kudos to your son for trying to protect a friend! To me, that seems like true social maturity.

We dealt with some verbal girl style bullying last year. I'll be intertested to hear how your school reacts when the bullying involves hitting.

Warning: sleep deprived
    T
    Tiz Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    Hi everyone - thanks for the support. At least I know that my reaction is normal and I am not being over-protective! I will be speaking to them on Monday...

Cathy A - DS is now very wary of this boy, I have told him that I will speak to the teacher about it for him.

OHGrandma, I will be telling DS to go and call a teacher next time - good idea!

Chrys - we have also had a whole lot of verbal taunts from one of the older girls, we just seem to have got over all that and now this has happened! In the end I went to the teacher and she sorted it out as, even though it was just verbal, it was starting to upset DS and there was one particular day when it turned into her pulling him around.

Has your son learned the real lesson here?

You do not get into a fight unless you are prepared to accept the consequences. Had a teacher seen him in the midst of the fight, he'd have been expelled or suspended.

While what the other boy did was wrong, your son was wrong to intervene. He should have gone to find an adult.

He needs to think before he acts.

When he gets older, he can join a fight to save another life, but he needs to realize he may lose his in the process, causing his family and others great sorrow. You either join a fight with overwhelming violence or seek help.

This is a different situation that self defense.

Because he will be the smaller kid for most of his educational life, he needs to understand the realities and understand the possibilities.

Last edited by Austin; 11/29/09 06:04 PM.
    I'm with Austin here. DS13 is very pessimistic about adults ability to intervene. I think that a 'out of the blue' thing is different than a pattern of misbehavior (bullying.)

DS13 assures me that he has been in this situation plenty of times, and he has learned not to get in the middle unless he is 'prepared to accept the consequesnces.' He says that when he says: 'Sorry, I would have liked to have helped you, but there really wasn't anything I could have done at the time' than the other victim-kid has been understanding.

I wasn't happy to hear all this, but I think that it 'is what it is.'

My son is tall for his age, but definitly not as strong as same sized kids who are 2 years old. It just isn't happening. I do like the idea of verbal interventions, and if it is a pattern that becomes a different thing, but sadly, Ds's perspective is 'boys will be boys.'

((pout))
    Grimity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    I disagree. There was a study done (which I saw on a TV show about bullying, so I have no reference to offer--sorry about that) that said that the majority of the time, if a person steps up to say "Hey, that's not cool," bullying stops. (www.bullying.org says 57% of the time, it stops within 10 seconds.)

I think there's nothing wrong with saying, "cut it out." Telling an adult becomes tattling in many situations. I'd save that for a last resort.

Bullies tend to pick on kids who are alone. Sticking together is a good strategy. No, it didn't work this particular time. But that doesn't mean it's a bad idea. More kids = more power.

And personally, if my child were punished for standing up (verbally) for a friend against a bully, I'd argue his case and support him through it. He's doing the right thing!

Last edited by Kriston; 11/29/09 07:09 PM.

Kriston
    This is from www.bullying.org, and I put especially relevant points in bold:

What should you do if you see someone else being bullied?

· Don't join in. Don't be mean to other kids by calling them names or picking on them.

· Walk away. Help the kid who is being bullied by leading them away from the bully, without looking at the bully. Did you know that bullying usually stops within 10 seconds after someone who is watching (a bystander) gets involved? Get help from an adult or yell for help if you need to.

· DO NOT try to fight the bully. You should never make fun of a bully or say mean things to a bully. It will just make things worse for you and everyone else.

· Believe the kid being bullied. Listen to what they have to say.

· Don't make the bully feel important by paying attention to them. When you ignore bullies, you take away their power.

· Bullies like to look tough in front of others, so they almost always have an audience when they are being mean. Most of the time the bullying will end if someone like you steps in to stop it.

· Make sure the kid who's being bullied tells an adult. Offer to go with them if it will help. If he or she doesn't want to talk to anybody, offer to talk to someone they trust for them.

· Involve as many people as possible, including other friends or classmates, parents, teachers, school counselors and the principal.

· Stand up, don't stand by. Kids can stand up for each other by telling a bully to stop teasing or hurting someone else.

· Refuse to join in and don't just sit back and watch. The bully wants an audience. You give bullies power when you watch. If you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

· Be a friend. Kids who are being bullied can sure use a friend. Walk with a friend or two on the way to school or recess or lunch or wherever you think you might meet the bully. Offer to do the same for someone else who's having trouble with a bully. Look out for kids who are new to school, or those kids who always seem to be alone. Invite the new kid at school to your party. Think about how you feel when you're left out of something.

· Treat others the way you want to be treated. Stand up for someone when he or she needs it, and when you need it, someone will stand up for you. Everyone has the right to be respected and the responsibility to respect others!

Fact: Peers are present 85% of the time when bullying occurs.

Fact: Bullying will stop within 10 seconds most of the time when someone else steps in to be a friend to the victim.

Kriston
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...