Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 395 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    My just-6-year-old son, who is in the 99th+ percentile on the WPPSI, is having some sensory issues at school (kindergarten). He feels there are too many kids in the classroom (18), it is too loud during quiet time, etc. He had these problems to a certain extent during preschool, too. The school so far is being supportive and suggests we send him for an OT evaluation for Sensory Integration Disorder.

I'm wondering: does it matter to what extent can we ascribe his overstimulation and behaviors to a possible SID diagnosis, or to Dabrowski's Overexcitabilities? Do "treatments" for his troubles differ depending on the source? I do think he needs some sort of help or treatment in order to be fully successful at school, as his symptoms are interfering with his comfort there. Do I need an OT familiar with giftedness and Dabrowski?

It seems there is a lot of awareness about SID, less about giftedness, so if the diagnosis really doesn't matter, and the treatment is the same, that's great. But if there is a difference, I'm hoping you can give me some advice on how to handle it.

Thank you!

I
    I
    I would contact one of the authors of this book for guidance:

Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnoses of Gifted Children and Adults: ADHD, bipolar, OCD, Asperger's, depression, and other disorders

James T. Webb, Edward R. Amend, Nadia E. Webb, Jean Goerss, Paul Beljan, F. Richard Olenchak

Here's the link for Dr. Amend
    http://www.amendpsych.com/

W
    W
    I second the Webb et al suggestion, and I've also found the Eides' work helpful (The Mislabeled Child).

For my daughter in K, we addressed this via occupational therapy, which included some sensory integration therapy. There was some progress--and with time she was growing out of some of her hyper-sensitivities--but we eventually decided that we were working too hard at making a sensitive/overexcitable kid try to fit in to a noisy and crowded classroom. After spending time in her class I realized that I felt overstimulated too! The teacher was outgoing and even boisterous, and the energy level was high. Since that K year we've tried to check out teacher possibilities in advance and ask for a more soft-spoken teacher, when there's one available. We've had friends deal with this by seeking a part-time school placement, or by asking if their child could spend extra time in a quieter space in the school, like the library--this works better for older kids, obviously, since schools don't like little ones to be traipsing to the library unaccompanied.

H
    H
    We struggle with this dilemma also. It seems the school understands the "SID" label and can accomodate this. I'm not sure they understand or know how to accomodate OEs without the SID label. I agree with the above suggestions for books.

We do sensory stuff here every day and it helps but mostly the cognitive aspect of working one-on-one with the child in sensory-rich environments has worked best for us. I think it would depend on how aware your kiddo is of his sensory overload signs and how well he can cope/ask for a break and how well the school/teacher can make this happen. At 6 that was a lot for our DS to do.

We did 6 months of OT at age 7 for DS, and I am so grateful that we tried it and it really helped!

It's possible that SID wouldn't help a kid who did have OEs, but 'truely' didn't have SID, but what (besides time, money and your sanity) do you have to loose?

I'm all in favor of modifing the environment, when it isn't too burdensome, but I love the idea of helping the neurons grow in the right direction!

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    Thanks, everyone, for your input. I know Dr. Amend quite well (he tested both my kids) but we no longer live nearby . . . perhaps a phone conference is in order. And although I skimmed that book for other issues relating to my other child, I'll take another look at it with respect to sensory issues. Thanks for telling me what I already should have thought of!

It sounds like OT can probably help regardless of the cause of my son's sensitivity. Although I'm reluctant to have him tagged with a label, SID is a pretty benign one, and if OT will help, I'm all for it. He's already in a private school with a small class size (compared to public, not compared to his ideal!) so I think our ability to find a better environment is limited. The teacher is soft-spoken and willing to learn about sensory issues, which already is a huge thing.

Still open to more feedback . . . with gratitude.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations