Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (mithawk), 332 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    BTW, the shot you took toward Austin, "I know Austin thinks Americans (or do you mean white Americans Austin) have the corner in the market on creativity." was uncalled for. It sounded like a backhanded way of saying he is racist. Austin sticks up for Americans, and I have never seen him separate them by color.

W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    The comments made that Americans were the leaders in invention and creativity was similar to comments years ago about the limits of Asians. I do think there are differences in culture, we wouldn't have the old joke about European heaven and hell. I have been in 30 automobile assembly plants around the world and I know there are cultural differences in workers.

Chinese don't feed the ear grain and the cob. Just the cob. They can't afford to give them both, as they need the grain.

That was the point.

Ren

W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    And yes, it was probably a low blow but I think it typical of "racist" type of thinker when they distort the facts. From Industry Week:

Geographical Shifts

Various factors -- including rising transportation costs, quality issues and currency fluctuations -- have manufacturers rethinking where they source and produce products and components. An AMR Research Inc. survey conducted in late May asked 113 executives about their supply chain plans over the next year. Of those surveyed, 64% come from companies with more than $5 billion in revenue. The rest reported revenues less than $5 billion.

Change in Sourcing Activities for the Next 12 Months

Within the United States
    Increase Sourcing -- 23%
    Decrease Sourcing -- 25%
    No Change -- 52%

Near Shore
    Increase Sourcing -- 30%
    Decrease Sourcing -- 7%
    No Change -- 63%

Originally Posted by Wren
    And yes, it was probably a low blow but I think it typical of "racist" type of thinker when they distort the facts. From Industry Week:

Geographical Shifts

Various factors -- including rising transportation costs, quality issues and currency fluctuations -- have manufacturers rethinking where they source and produce products and components. An AMR Research Inc. survey conducted in late May asked 113 executives about their supply chain plans over the next year. Of those surveyed, 64% come from companies with more than $5 billion in revenue. The rest reported revenues less than $5 billion.

Within the United States
    Increase Sourcing -- 23%
    Decrease Sourcing -- 25%
    No Change -- 52%

Near Shore
    Increase Sourcing -- 30%
    Decrease Sourcing -- 7%
    No Change -- 63%

You have not shown that Austin distorted any facts, using this post. Outsourcing products or service is only a sign that foreign workers, with a lower standard of living, are able to produce products or provide service cheaper than Americans. It has nothing to do with creativeness, unless you decide the American businesses are being creative on how to increase their bottom line.

Besides, I've seen plenty of distortion of facts to support one's position and never attributed it to racist thinking.

Chinese don't feed the ear grain and the cob. Just the cob. They can't afford to give them both, as they need the grain.

That was the point.

Ren

There is extremely little food value in the cob, even for a ruminant. In the USA there are other uses for a corn cob, as a polishing abrasive for one. With the increased use of fiber to produce methynol, some combines have been converted to gather the fodder, including the cob, after the grain is stripped from the cob. Americans hold those patents. And I couldn't tell you what race they are.

S
    S

Geographical Shifts

Within the United States
    Increase Sourcing -- 23%
    Decrease Sourcing -- 25%
    No Change -- 52%

Near Shore
    Increase Sourcing -- 30%
    Decrease Sourcing -- 7%
    No Change -- 63%

Maybe it is just me but I am failing to see the correlation between the cheap shot and the stats.

D
    D
    And yes, it was probably a low blow but I think it typical of "racist" type of thinker when they distort the facts.
    Oh, dear.

I think I prefer the name-calling to be a little more subtle -- back-handed, even. Easier to pretend it didn't happen... or to give the writer the benefit of the doubt, whether deserved or not.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    Val Offline
    And yes, it was probably a low blow but I think it typical of "racist" type of thinker when they distort the facts.

Umm. What's going on here? This conversation is becoming increasingly...unlike this board.

The thing that makes this board so special (for me at least) is the extremely high level of courtesy and respect in the posts. The high level of thoughtfulness that goes into the posts keeps me coming back. I'm also very fond of the general lack of flaming that we see here.

Val

W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    I agree Val and I apologize. I went too far. It was not my intention to go in that direction.

I am not posting to the thread anymore.

Ren

B
    B
    Chenchuan,
    I think your daughter's review got a little lost in the discussion here. I think her opinion on this might count for a little more the some of the ramblings of the rest of us. Tell her I enjoyed reading it very much and feel that it was very well written. I teach cross-cultural communication and would like to use the review in a class. Where was it published?

Benny
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent