Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 121 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #58211 10/13/09 02:38 PM
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Hi - I've recently found this site and have been reading/lurking.
    I'm trying to determine what we should do with my DS5.

He is in K and enjoying it but definitely gets bored with the work since even his 4 yr old sister can do most of it. I emailed the principal to start talking about options for next year and am waiting (very impatiently since I emailed Friday afternoon) to hear back from him to see what my options might be.

He was tested at 3 1/2 by the school district (suspected ADHD as a possible cause for lack of eye contact and behavior and we wanted to know if that was the case so we could work with him on those areas in a better manner). They did the DAS-II and I am wondering if I should have the school (new district) do a new test since he is now over 5?
    Here are his scores(using the Standard Score) from then:
    GCA 137 99%
    Verbal 143 99.8%
    Nonverbal Reasoning 128 97%
    Spatial 120 (mostly due to writing/copying ability at the time) 90%

I assume these scores will be rather different from now (some higher/some lower) due to age but not sure if we need to retest or just show the school he was already tested?

Any help would be great, I would like to not dread next year and am already feeling that way (a whole 2 months into the school year...).

He gets bored and does things very very slowly or gets distracted very easily. Yet when it interests him he'll keep it up and finish very quickly. His reading level according to the Star Reading test is 2.3 (sometime in Sept of this year)

J
    J
    Hi - I'm no testing/results expert, but wanted to say welcome. Does sound like boredom is a HUGE issue. I would definitely look into having him tested with the school - if nothing else, it will give you the information you need to take the next step, no matter what direction that might be!

Good luck!

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Do schools have to test at my request at this age? I know they do if we request due to concerns about being behind but wasn't sure if they would have to honor a request to test for being ahead.

O
    O
    Look at your state eduction Laws- see the how gifted friendly is your state link to the lefts.

Lood luck.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM