Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 414 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #57996 10/10/09 12:16 PM
    H
    hkc75 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    I was just wondering what others have found works or does not work with dyslexia and gifted. Here is what I know:

1.I just read an article that Direct Instruction is NOT recommended. http://learningpeople.typepad.com/the_learning_people/dyslexia_at_school/

2. A lot of visual spatial learners and hightly gifted kids have dyslexia (various websites) http://www.meadowbrook-education.com/visual_spatial_learners.htm

3. According to Dr. Ruf on her webinar and in her book, level 3 and higher kids who aren't reading independantly several years ahead are most likely dyslexic or have CAPD. (Plz correct me if I am misparaphrasing here).

4. Dyslexics also have sensory processing issues, r/l brain hemisphere difficulties=coordination problems in addition to spelling, reading, writing and timed tests.

I looked at Timezattack but DS7 is worried about the timed portions for math. I need to find a good LA program to help with spelling/writing. I am thinking about getting write out loud software if his school will approve.

TIA...

hkc75 #58000 10/10/09 02:06 PM
    MAE Offline
    It sounds to me like Direct Instruction is a particular brand of curriculum rather than a method. Dyslexics do benefit from explicit, systematic instruction, particularly in phonemic awareness and phonics. The book recommendation has been made here (sorry I don't remember by who) The Mislabeled Child by Eide & Eide which addresses "stealth dyslexia" or see http://mislabeledchild.com/html/Library/DyslexiaReading/Stealth_dyslexia.htm. I would also recommended Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnoses of Gifted Children and Adults. Also see the International Dyslexia Association for a list of Orton-Gillingham influenced and other multisensory programs which have been extensively researched and are recommended for people with dyslexia.

Hope this helps!

MAE #58002 10/10/09 02:21 PM
    H
    hkc75 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    Thanks. I have read through all of the Mislabeled child stuff online and in the book. I will proceed to the Orton-Gillingham material.

Have you heard anything about the Davis Programme?

hkc75 #58005 10/10/09 02:38 PM
    MAE Offline
    Sorry, I'm not familiar with the Davis Programme. We homeschool because my son is reading at grade level but is ahead in everything else and we are using All About Spelling, an Orton-Gillingham influenced program. We are also using Headsprout Early Reading for reading & phonics and will consider continuing with Headsprout Reading Comprehension. Both programs would be suitable for afterschooling. I think the best I've seen for home is Barton but it didn't work out for us.

We use Rightstart math but I'm considering switching to EPGY. I'm not sure if he's having trouble with math facts or not since we just started in August, but he does still count (as do I).

MAE #58010 10/10/09 04:47 PM
    H
    hkc75 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    Thank you Mae. I am not sure about the OG program. I did find one specifically for visual spatials which seems very different from the other formats (lots of repetition), the Davis Program. Surprisingly math for us is clipping along but he does not memorize and hates when I try to show him "steps". We are also hsing (well doing an online school).

hkc75 #58046 10/11/09 08:42 AM
    MAE Offline
    Repetition is integral to OG. It is unfortunately one reason DS hated Barton. AAS is working out better for us, probably because the lessons are so short. The Bob books are helping too and have pretty well matched the different programs we have tried.

You might get more feedback about the Davis Program and others by posting at Heart of Reading or HsExKids.

MAE #58048 10/11/09 09:15 AM
    H
    hkc75 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    There is some more interesting stuff on youtube as well as theeinsteingene.com

http://www.theeinsteingene.co.uk/ei...1-latest-news/16-dyslexia-gifted-profile

They quote Dr. Brock Eide a lot. There is also one article on hyperlexics that is related and interesting.

Thanks again Mae. I will check these out.

hkc75 #58053 10/11/09 09:53 AM
    MAE Offline
    Wow HKC, that is interesting. My son scored 93th centile on SB-IV, much lower than expected considering his other subtest scores and the fact that he is obviously highly verbally gifted. I was shocked that verbal wasn't his highest score. Other verbal tests he has taken since have been more in line with what I would have expected from him.

I am interested in learning more about the research on 'the dyslexic profile.' I have been so consumed with the more practical issues of teaching DS to read and now homeschooling that I have had little mental energy to pursue anything else.

I failed their screening on the page you linked to even though I learned to read early by watching Sesame Street. I still don't know my times tables for example even though I have always been gifted at math. My husband sometimes forgets I am good at math because I often count on my fingers!

Good luck finding a program that works for your son. All your research will certainly pay off for him.

-M

Last edited by MAE; 10/11/09 09:54 AM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM