Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 429 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    JBDad Offline OP
    OP Offline
    We're not yet applying for DYS. I think our DS might qualify when you consider the loose "working 2, 3, or 4 years above chronological age" but we do not yet have supporting tests. We are planning a future test and depending on what we learn, we may apply for DYS. We could use that advocacy help.

So that being said, I am curious about how the section on references has been dealt with by others that have applied. Our problem has been that there have been very, very few people that have supported what we suspect or know (that DS is pretty far outside the norms). His psych noted it, but the references specifically asks for people that have not tested the child. The only other person that I can reference is a preschool teacher a year and half ago that was blow away by something DS did. Other than that, we have a lot of skeptics. What did you do? How did you handle this part of the application?

Just curious. Thanks.

JB

Know any parents of GT kids? Adults who your DS talks science or math to? Camp counselors? Babysitters?

The pre-K teacher would be just fine. DS8's K teacher wrote his, and though she IDd him as GT, I'm not sure she got just HOW GT he was. But I don't think that matters so much.

They just want to know that you're not a nut, I suspect. If someone else can say, "Yes, the child is smart," that's all that's really needed to show that you didn't have your kid memorize the IQ test or something crazy like that. Don't stress over it.

Kriston
    M
    Mam Offline
    M
    We used her K teacher from last year and a family friend. This friend has seen our DD in action and heard about things she does. It helps that their DC is very gifted also (I am certain a future DYS kiddo).

You mention "very few people", I would think one of those. Is he in K already? Taken any classes where he shines?

JB,
    You need to get out more!
    ((Humor Alert))

My advice is to apply now, with a portfolio, and then when the scores roll in, you will be 'almost all done' - yes?
    Download an application, and get the preschool teacher's rec NOW, before she moves to another state, or forgets.

We ended up with one from DS13's Afterschool French teacher and from a GT teacher from a different part of the state. We met at one of our state gifted program's Saturday 'Learning Jam' kind of things. I had gotten permission for DS to attend with a group who was 1 to 2 years older, because the offerings in his agegroup didn't look that interesting. At the end I stopped in to check on his behavior, and the teachers were floored that he was so much younger - they work with 'gifted' students all day long, and were able to confirm for me that yes, PG is different even if he isn't doing calculus in his highchair. I quickly got the agreement to write the rec, and a phone number, did the follow up and the rest is history.
    Other ideas:
    That nosy lady in the grocery store,
    Any doctors, nurses, dentists
    Parents of older gifted kids
    Your Accountant - any adult you have dragged your child along with you to any adult-type activity
    Docent at a museum. Chaperone during a school trip - watch your kid dominate the conversation which the other children drift off - and get the phone number and agreement.
    Anyone with eyes to see - basically,
    Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    JB, I sympathize. We had good luck with recommendations for my boys, as they were more open about showing their gifts. But my girls are less vocal in public, less likely to do things that make people go "Wow!" My older dd did get a nice rec from a friend who had her in a homeschool science class- dd was the youngest by far and came up with the best solution to one of the group challenges. But for my youngest, who is not yet five, I am not sure where to turn. I actually took out the app forms the other day and reviewed them, and decided that I need to get her interacting more with other adults, in order to give them a chance to know her better.

JBDad Offline OP
    OP Offline
    On the iPhone so this will be brief... I'll follow up more later. What about his grandmother? She's a third grade teacher. I can't recall if the references had to be non-family. She's observed him and often would comment that she wished her students did 'X' as well as DS.

DS tends to blend in with others in group settings. And if he's not interest in something you wouldn't really notice him. Which is a lot of the time during the school year.

Humor noted smile

JB

M
    M
    All previous posts are filled with wonderful suggestions. Just wanted to add that a rec from a camp counselor or instructor from a summer/afterschool enrichment program could be useful too. Good luck. ITA with Grinity - get the basic app out of the way along with the recs and submit the scores when you get them.

O
    O
    My thoughts are get the application in with out the test scores. You may need more support then you think in the future. It is better to get a recommendation while the information is fresh in her minds. You can give the teacher as reference and then add family members comments as support in the portfolio. If there is something you can video that would also be good. Good Luck!

JBDad Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Actually... you guys have got me thinking now. On my way into work I realized that I could probably get a recommendation from DS's chess mentor. He started playing serious chess a couple of months ago so I started taking him to a local chess club. The organizer has taken him under his wing and gives him free private lessons before the club meets. (Usually he's a paid coach.) So I think that leaves us with three options if using his grandmother is okay. I forget how many you need.

Luckily I did capture on video once something that I think would be appropriate to submit...

Thanks for the brainstorming...

JB

M
    M
    You only need one, that's all we had since DS7 is homeschooled and we just don't have many people who are in a position to see him in action. I think the chess mentor would be perfect! The application said it couldn't be family, though I'm not sure how far out on the tree they mean, so a grandparent might be ok. We used a family friend who has kids who are GT, I was really grateful she was willing to write it for us because we had no one else we could ask if she wasn't able!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM