Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 357 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    O
    O
    Congrats on all the new DYS kids/families!

How exciting. Good job parents for finding this resource.

It would be fun to learn how/what you are telling your kids. Are you going to do something to celebrate? Maybe you could shredd a boring workbook or something. OR open the champange.

S
    S
    Congrats to you all!!

D
    D
    Originally Posted by mamaandmore
    We got our email- DS7 is DYS!!!
    Awww, man!

The one morning I'm actually away from my desk. I wanted to be the first to announce!

Huzzah!

Not sure what I'll tell DS, but I'll at least buy him an ice cream or something.

Double-drat, though... no word on the secret handshake,

Dandy

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    Congratulations to all the New YSP families and Welcome!

((hugs)) to all the folks who got 'tell us more' - this isn't bad news - stay in the moment and persue!

((hugs and a crutch of choice)) to all the folks who got 'Thanks so very much' letters. If you haven't come out of lurkdome - start some new topics and pretend that we have enough collective wisdom that we will provide the support and info that you would have gotten in YSP. OK?

Back to the folks who are brand new, here's the Grinity To Do List!

1) As soon as you can log onto the private website, go to the directory and make a list of all the possible playdates for your family based on gender,age,interest,schooling-type, or whatever, and start sending out emails introducing yourself and asking if there are any local resources that you haven't found out about yet, and seeing if the other parents are intersted in setting up a playdate. Start with the shortest drive and work your way out. See if any DIGs are planned, or work with one of your new contacts to plan one. You may find that some families will met you halfway at a local attraction. This is what has made the biggest difference from my DS13, but then, we are very social people.

2) Join a few email lists - homeschooling if you are or thinking about it, classroom if you want a quieter list that focuses on sending our children to school, Twice Exceptional if you are interested or want a particularly kind and supportive bunch - they have seen it all! There may be a regional email list where folks alert each other to local goings-on, they are very nice. See if there are any 'DIG's coming soon and put them on your calander. Davidson Informal Gatherings=DIGs PGparenting is very busy, and you kind of never know how your post will hit.

Effective posts will have catchy topic lines, that start with words such as: 'Help' or 'Need Support' or 'So Frustrated' or 'So Weary.' Try to stick to your own experience, as we gifties can be very fact-orriented and opinionated. Don't let me scare you, be brave and introduce yourself.

When you can, take a look at the parent seminars and see if there are any you can sign up for. They are terrific.

I'm not sure what the email says, but I remember my Family Consultant setting up a time to talk to me and ask me 'how is everything going.' YSP has grown a lot since then, so you may have to pursue them.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Oh, I forgot to say. If you haven't said anything to your dear child about applying, don't say anything now. Check it out first and see what makes sense. There is really very little to gain from being upfront about this - particularly if there are siblings involved.

I see it more as 'Mommy/Daddy is really happy because she just met a whole bunch of interesting new friends that really like her.' kind of thing.

Just my 2 cents
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    D
    djf Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Thanks, Grinity, for all the details and suggestions!

Dandy: I think "private website" must be the "secret handshake" of the new millennium.

M
    M
    Congrats to all. Looking forward to those email playdate requests smile

M
    Mam Offline
    M
    Congrats to all!

Congratulations to all! I hope at least one of your kids will happen to live in our area wink

I may not be waiting for an acceptance e-mail but I sure check the DYS database at least once a month to see if any new kids showed up in our area smile

LMom
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by LMom
    Congratulations to all! I hope at least one of your kids will happen to live in our area wink

I may not be waiting for an acceptance e-mail but I sure check the DYS database at least once a month to see if any new kids showed up in our area smile

me too. although we just got into DYS last month and aren't listed up on there yet. Should be soon though...I am hoping for more kids up in our area. Some day hopefully : )

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM