Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Last month the "We got in to DYS" posts appeared on 8/31, starting in the early afternoon.

Today is the last day of September (though not a Monday like 8/31 was), and I can't stop checking my email. :-)

The email we got when our application was complete said "at least 3 to 4 weeks" from 9/15, which would mean at least another week....

Anyone know if we can expect to hear from them this week? Or should I just try to chill out?
Guilty! whistle
Yes! Guilty too!
Um yep, me too! I'm also checking here obsessively hoping to see if anyone has heard. I'm trying not too think about it too hard, but I also noticed that last months group heard at the very end of the month.

I really, really hate waiting!
This is from A Facebook Davidson update.
"Some staff in D.C. for Davidson Fellows events. On Capitol Hill today with Fellows & award ceremony tonight! What an impressive, and gracious, group of young people!!!!"

I think the FAQs talk about taking longer to process the applications when the staff is busy with events... Just FYI.. it might apply this time.

We'll be sending in our application in a few days, so we are not waiting yet.
Thanks for finding this, Mam. I'll try to stop worrying for at least the rest of this week, then...
Do they usually let everyone know within a month?
This is what they say in the FAQs:

Q. What is the deadline for submitting an application?
Applications are reviewed on the 15th of each month. Applications received by the 14th of each month will be reviewed and decision letters will be sent by the beginning of the following month. Occasionally, decision letters are delayed due to scheduled events hosted by the Davidson Institute.
So after they receive all parts of the application they email you and let you know? I just sent mine off yesterday smile
Yep -- we got a very polite email saying that all DD's application pieces were in. And now...still waiting...
Does anyone know if they send the decision email even if the application is declined? I've only seen people post with the email saying they were admitted.

Right now I'm feeling pessimistic and thinking that they're trying to find a nice way to say no- but ask me again in 10 minutes and I might be feeling better about it, lol.
Yes, I have heard people get the "thanks for applying" or "please submit more information", relatively early as well. I think this is a slow month for them. No news is usually good news, right?
And how long after you get the letter/email of acceptance does it take for the "Extreme Life Makeover" van to pull up in front of your house alerting all the community that you have one of the brightest minds under your care? And then the school lays out the red carpet and the staff welcomes you with open arms and exclaims "How can we accomodate your dc needs?" And then the community members give you their phone numbers 'for support'. And said DC applies him/herself and really accels. About how long after the letter can you expect that?
hkc75 -

Thank you for that wonderful post!lol!lol!lol!

I feel like if my DS gets in to DYS there will be no magic wand for my prince. It will take more baby steps in the right direction. I think the school and my son can deal best with change a little bit at a time. DYS would be a big relief because I will have experienced support. This feels like a lot of pressure for me to get this right for him. I worry....

I wrote the application in one weekend. I had some much to say. It is very hard for me to judge what is 2 to 3 yrs above level.
I took 3 months to add information and edit. We have one minimum broad score in Math so I have the added pressure of needing to WOW them in the portfolio. I am done and still think there is more I could add like some video but we are not setup with that at home. When will it be enough? I need to get my house clean again and move on. I've put a lot of time into researching and yet there is still much to learn. It's going to break my heart if we don't get in. My husband said I shouldn't feel like DS's future rests on DYS. He will be OK either way. I know he is right.

I have gained something by putting all this info down on paper. I can go into our IEP meeting with our new principal and say here this is my son. He is not the average kid and needs more.

I do feel blessed the school is willing to work with us. I have a very motivated independent learner who is interested in so many things. My son has been blessed with a very supportive family and good health. This makes for a great DYS situation.

Thanks in advance, I needed the venting again..
Originally Posted by hkc75
And how long after you get the letter/email of acceptance does it take for the "Extreme Life Makeover" van to pull up in front of your house alerting all the community that you have one of the brightest minds under your care? And then the school lays out the red carpet and the staff welcomes you with open arms and exclaims "How can we accomodate your dc needs?" And then the community members give you their phone numbers 'for support'. And said DC applies him/herself and really accels. About how long after the letter can you expect that?

LOL, if only.... and if we are dreaming I will add to this...how long until the school says "money is not an option" and "the sky is the limit" for your DS. We will do whatever it takes to make sure he is interested and challenged and working to the best of his ability. That would be awesome.
We got our email- DS7 is DYS!!!
Just this moment got our DYS acceptance email!!!!!!!!!!!! Best of luck to everyone!!!!
Originally Posted by mamaandmore
Congrats!!!
Saw the posts here before I checked my email...
DS9 is in. Congratulations mamaandmore and txmama!
Originally Posted by Dottie
Originally Posted by Hkc
About how long after the letter can you expect that?
3 years, 4 months, 5 days, 12 hours, 45 minutes and counting...

laugh laugh laugh

Onthego...it's enough, send it in for October's deadline!

I AM DOING IT TODAY. thanks for the encouragement.
Congrats on all the new DYS kids/families!

How exciting. Good job parents for finding this resource.

It would be fun to learn how/what you are telling your kids. Are you going to do something to celebrate? Maybe you could shredd a boring workbook or something. OR open the champange.
Congrats to you all!!
Originally Posted by mamaandmore
Awww, man!

The one morning I'm actually away from my desk. I wanted to be the first to announce!

Huzzah!

Not sure what I'll tell DS, but I'll at least buy him an ice cream or something.

Double-drat, though... no word on the secret handshake,

Dandy
Congratulations to all the New YSP families and Welcome!

((hugs)) to all the folks who got 'tell us more' - this isn't bad news - stay in the moment and persue!

((hugs and a crutch of choice)) to all the folks who got 'Thanks so very much' letters. If you haven't come out of lurkdome - start some new topics and pretend that we have enough collective wisdom that we will provide the support and info that you would have gotten in YSP. OK?

Back to the folks who are brand new, here's the Grinity To Do List!

1) As soon as you can log onto the private website, go to the directory and make a list of all the possible playdates for your family based on gender,age,interest,schooling-type, or whatever, and start sending out emails introducing yourself and asking if there are any local resources that you haven't found out about yet, and seeing if the other parents are intersted in setting up a playdate. Start with the shortest drive and work your way out. See if any DIGs are planned, or work with one of your new contacts to plan one. You may find that some families will met you halfway at a local attraction. This is what has made the biggest difference from my DS13, but then, we are very social people.

2) Join a few email lists - homeschooling if you are or thinking about it, classroom if you want a quieter list that focuses on sending our children to school, Twice Exceptional if you are interested or want a particularly kind and supportive bunch - they have seen it all! There may be a regional email list where folks alert each other to local goings-on, they are very nice. See if there are any 'DIG's coming soon and put them on your calander. Davidson Informal Gatherings=DIGs PGparenting is very busy, and you kind of never know how your post will hit.

Effective posts will have catchy topic lines, that start with words such as: 'Help' or 'Need Support' or 'So Frustrated' or 'So Weary.' Try to stick to your own experience, as we gifties can be very fact-orriented and opinionated. Don't let me scare you, be brave and introduce yourself.

When you can, take a look at the parent seminars and see if there are any you can sign up for. They are terrific.

I'm not sure what the email says, but I remember my Family Consultant setting up a time to talk to me and ask me 'how is everything going.' YSP has grown a lot since then, so you may have to pursue them.

Best Wishes,
Grinity
Oh, I forgot to say. If you haven't said anything to your dear child about applying, don't say anything now. Check it out first and see what makes sense. There is really very little to gain from being upfront about this - particularly if there are siblings involved.

I see it more as 'Mommy/Daddy is really happy because she just met a whole bunch of interesting new friends that really like her.' kind of thing.

Just my 2 cents
Grinity
Thanks, Grinity, for all the details and suggestions!

Dandy: I think "private website" must be the "secret handshake" of the new millennium.
Congrats to all. Looking forward to those email playdate requests smile
Congrats to all!
Congratulations to all! I hope at least one of your kids will happen to live in our area wink

I may not be waiting for an acceptance e-mail but I sure check the DYS database at least once a month to see if any new kids showed up in our area smile

Originally Posted by LMom
Congratulations to all! I hope at least one of your kids will happen to live in our area wink

I may not be waiting for an acceptance e-mail but I sure check the DYS database at least once a month to see if any new kids showed up in our area smile

me too. although we just got into DYS last month and aren't listed up on there yet. Should be soon though...I am hoping for more kids up in our area. Some day hopefully : )
So if you didn't get an email yet is that the "Sorry" one coming???? Or do they send out all the types of emails at the same time? We qualified on GAI so I am not even sure if we 'qualify' you know. And now I didn't get an email and am seriously pacing and hitting refresh...

And Congrats to all who have made it so far... grin
I'm super late to the party, but DD5 is DYS too!

Congrats everyone - ice cream all around!
Thanks Dottie for the 411. Not knowing is the worst for me. Hopefully 'the letter' will come soon then. At least it gives me a reason to possibly check out Dr. Ruf's beta test and get an even more indepth look at DS7 if she doesn't contact us first. wink
This is all really helpful information. Thanks to all. We're excited (and have not said anything to DD6 as of yet).
Thanks for the information Grinity, after the initial "Yay, I have an answer and can stop waiting" high wore off, I was wondering what exactly I was supposed to *do* with this shiny new toy.

We told DS7 we were applying and when I mentioned that he was accepted he was completely unimpressed, especially when I explained that it was more for me to help him than something fun for him to do. I'm *really* hoping for some local homeschooling contacts, we're having social issues right now.
Yay to the new YSs! smile
Congrats to all whose kiddos are new YSers! And congrats to all the parents, YS or not, who are working so hard to find out the best educational fit for their kids. smile
Congrats to all!

Ditto to what master_of_none says!
Congratulations and thanks for sharing the good news!
Well, said, st pauli girl. I agree. All the best to all of the parents and children, and congratulations to the new DYS'ers. And for anyone disappointed by your news - don't despair. There are DYS who were denied or deferred the first go, but admitted later.
Congrats everyone!
We finally got our email this morning. DS8 is DYS, too!!!! laugh

Whew! I've been so nervous since we didn't get our email a few days back. Now I can finally relax.

Thank you Dottie, for helping me understand the WJ III scores, and Kriston, who gave me the courage to apply.

Yay! Congratulations! laugh
Congrats! I would have been very nervous!!!
Congrats to everyone - it seems like such a great resource you guys have available to you and I feel privileged to be able to share in some small way. Its wonderful to feel the joy.
grin Congratualtions! grin
Congratulations!!
Posted By: Dandy DYS: Letter vs. Email? - 10/10/09 07:33 PM
The email from DYS mentioned that a letter is also coming in the mail... has anyone received this, and if so, does it contain anything different?

Just curious.
Posted By: LMom Re: DYS: Letter vs. Email? - 10/10/09 08:50 PM
Congratulations! That's must have been couple of long days of waiting.

The letter also contains additional paperwork you need to fill out before you get a full access to DYS services. It takes a few weeks to get everything set up. At least that how it worked back in the mail only age smile
Posted By: Botchan Re: DYS: Letter vs. Email? - 10/10/09 08:59 PM
Thank you, everyone. I slept like a baby last night. sleep
The DYS application is sent in. I was wondering if they let you know they received everything? Or could I call? Our reccomendation was faxed. It would be nice to know when they have it all.
They did send an email when the application was complete. If you are wondering if something is missing, give them a call.
Good luck, onthegomom!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum