Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    OP Offline
    I�m kind of at a loss with DD. I�m not really sure what is normal or not so maybe somebody could help me out here? I�ve been wondering lately if she might have some sensory issues but I don�t really understand exactly what is the difference between SPD and overexciteabilities. Also, everything I�ve been reading about SPD says that children hit their milestones late and that is the complete opposite of DD! She�s quite a bit early across the board...

So here are the 'issues'. Taken alone I wouldn�t worry about some of them but I�m wondering if the combination of them all could mean something? Oh, and DD is 9 months old...

HATES sleep. It�s a real struggle to get her to sleep and keep her a sleep. The room has to have background noise, be dark, the perfect temperature, the bed has to be soft, etc.

Still isn�t eating solids. We started trying at 6 months but she refuses them entirely if we try to feed her anything (she gets so stressed out that she will throw up). She will only eat if she puts it in her mouth herself and even then she very, rarely does (pretty much only apples and bread). She definitely has the ability to feed herself, she has a great pincer grasp and can even use a spoon some, but she just refuses.

Very sensitive to textures. Will remove socks, hats, sweaters, pants (well, tries to at least). Screams at diaper changes, screams during baths, screams if she doesn�t like the texture of an outfit etc.

Very highly distractable. Refuses to nurse except in a completely quiet, dark room. Stops the second something/someone moves.

Sensitive in general. Cries if someone is using a "loud" voice or yelling. Same even if someone laughs too hard. Lots of seperation anxiety from early on too. Doesn�t like objects that make jerky movements (like toys that dance around).

Besides all that she is a very happy baby normally. Most people are shocked to find out that she has these problems because she is soooooo social. I have no clue what is supposed to be normal at this age. None of her friends seem to be dealing with this stuff or at least not all at once. I�d appreciate any insights you have!!!!

Oh, and any ideas on how to handle these things???

J
    J
    Some of this sounds like how my son was at that age.

He never, ever, ever slept and the slightest thing would wake him up and we'd have to begin the process again. I attribute that to his brain being unable to stop and struggling to keep his body awake.

He was (and still is) distracted very easily. He did love to eat though so I had no problem getting him to focus on his food smile

He cried about everything. Change was the worst for him. If we did something we normally didn't do he'd throw a fit. If I got water on his face while washing his hair he'd scream. If there were too many people in a room he'd scream. I was never able to have a peaceful birthday party for him because the people would make him cry and then when it was time to sing happy birthday it'd get really bad!

My son seemed to grow out of a lot of these things though so I don't know. What has your doctor said about it?

OP Offline
    Some of these things are new so we haven't really had a change to talk to DD's pediatrician about everything as a whole (I plan to when we go to our next well baby visit in Nov.). Here's what she's said so far, though:

sleep- either we try CIO (something we're not willing to do) or live with it

solids- it's promising that she'll at least take whole foods (like apples) but she wants to wait and see a bit first before she decides if this is an issue or not

textures, distractability, and sensitivity- forgot to mention at our last appointment, wasn't as bad then but have gotten worse more recently

She was shocked about how early on she had separation anxiety but she chalked that up to DD being very advanced.

It's comforting to hear that I'm not the only one who went through this (although I'm sorry you had to too!). How long did it take your son to grow out of it? Did you find anything that helped?

J
    J
    With the sleeping nothing helped. I think that he was well over 3 years old before he started sleeping all night more than once a week. He still has his nights when he's up a few times for whatever reason. Usually it's because he has very vivid dreams.

He just turned 5 and he's just starting to not have as many crying episodes. A year ago they were still pretty bad. But it seemed like once he could express himself to us it helped a lot with the crying. From about 3 weeks until he was almost 1 he cried almost non-stop.

H
    H
    Hi Newmom21c,
    I cringe to hear you are going thru this. I hope you have a support group to lean on. My DD now 3 was/is like this. I was told by the members in my family that I needed to get out with her more so she would adjust to noises and people more. LOL How do you take out a baby who starts screaming the second you leave the house? I used a sling which helped a ton! She didn't eat well and didn't sleep either. My ped told me to stop putting her down for naps (she only slept for 15 mins anyways) at 6 months. I thought he was absurd but I tried it and it worked. She slept for 6 hours straight at night from then on. This was huge! Sign language helped a lot for communication. Both of my kids were signing at 7 mos. I let her touch as much stuff as I could and talk about each item especially the ones that make noise; washing machine, dishwasher, vaccuum, all the various toys, etc. Just talking in general helped calm her down and the sling. laugh

She is now 3 and if she sleeps for 8 hours a night, I am happy.

HTH and hope you get some sleep soon. That is always the hardest part.

Originally Posted by newmom21C
    Also, everything I�ve been reading about SPD says that children hit their milestones late and that is the complete opposite of DD!

LOL, She may be hitting those milestones later than she would if she wasn't putting so much energy into dealing with the world, you never know!

anyway - my son was misdiagnosed when we first started noticing 'the difference' and he did go to Occupational Therapist for Sensory Issues, and it did help him tremendously, and our insurance paid for most of it. Later when we found how that he was gifted and what that 'meant' I realized that he was 'probably' 'just' extreamly OE, but I was really grateful that we had come down the 'something wrong with him path' so that we got him to the OT instead of writing it off as 'just gifted-manage the environment.'

Does that make sense? So, to me, if her differences are interfering with your daily life, and you mind, then try OT, and quit if it doesn't help.

As for sleeping, DS13 was a non-sleeper,and again, I heard that gifted kids don't need to sleep. Looking back, I think that DS DID need to sleep, but was terrible at winding down. Now that he is big, I give him Melatonin, which triggers him to wind down, but never saw that type of behavior before that. Later I read

Secrets of the Baby Whisperer: How to Calm, Connect, and Communicate with Your Baby by Tracy Hogg

And wondered if this would have helped at all. Let me know!

We did use a baby sling, and he would drift off as long as I was wearing him, and that helped. Since he was my first, we both just napped a lot. Get as much social support as you can. Get outside in the fresh air as much as you can.

If she is staying on her weight chart, I would totally let her manage her own eating. I've seen lots of kid/parent unit go down the path of worried mom/manipulative kid. Lots of journaling and venting on that one. Also, check to see if her food is tasty. I tried to give my son 'only the best' natural cheerios, etc. Yeah, didn't want to eat something that tasted like cardboard. I can't tell you the number of kids I know who 'never eat' at their house, but mysteriously eat the 'semi-healthy' food at my house. Potato Chips and Goldfish crakers are both exactly 50% of their calories from fat...Guess which one raised motherly eyebrows in my neighborhood. People are weird. Count the ingredients! I have no problem with families who don't eat either, but what makes Goldfish Crackers normal baby food?

Try and get enough sleep for yourself, even if you have to put a mattress on the floor of her room and lock the two of you in there for your daytime nap.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    C
    C
    Hang in there! It's hard when your friends kids aren't going through the same things.

My son (now 10) also had/has? some sensory issues and was the baby from hell. On the bright side he then became the perfect toddler so maybe you'll be lucky. As others suggested it really helped to use some sign language. I think it helped him communicate what was bothering him. We also used the phrase, "How can I help you?" a lot where he'd respond by dragging us over to whatever he needed.

He too was a lousy napper (the 15 minute ones) (he'd cry forever!). When I really needed him to nap (and I needed it!) I wrap him up like a baby burrito and hold him while I napped along side. He'd cry for about 10 minutes and pass out. Somehow it helped keep him sleeping longer if I was holding him. (Means you won't get much done!) But it might help.

He also had trouble eating solids till about 11/12 months. I agree with others, as long as she's healthy let her figure out the eating. It's a good sign that she'll eat some solids.

Good luck--hope things improve!

B
    B
    Wow! Lots to deal with. We experienced a lot of these things with our second. He was a super preemie, so was being watched closely for muscle tone and delays. When he was young I hadn't heard of OE's and just assumed that all of his quirks were from being a preemie. Like Grinity's son, he had OT when he was young and it helped a lot with sensory issues. If he qualifies for any reason for the OT I would definitely take advantage of that. I still to cut tags out of shirts until he was at least 10 and even at 12 he's very picky about which socks and pants are comfortable, but the few months of OT made a huge difference in his ability just to live in his surroundings.

He slowly grew into being able to remain calm with a normal amount of noise (he started at the click of a coffee maker turning off in the next room). He found classical music when he was 5 and has enjoyed that in the background.

He has never become a good eater - but this probably is because of being a preemie, not because of OE's, or maybe some combo. Having read every book about feeding/eating issues I could find, I would definitely follow the advice of others here and not push the food. The fewer conversations and struggles you can have about food, the better chance of growing up with a good relationship with your food.

And also to repeat others, sign language was a tremendous help. I certainly never learned a lot, but the ability to communicate with even a few words calmed him a lot. When he started talking he was calmer, when he started walking he was calmer. I think he was a little person stuck in a body that wouldn't get him what he wanted.

I don't think there are a lot of kids this extreme. I also had people tell me that I needed to "help him adjust." The OT did that, but I couldn't have done it alone - and it didn't help for people to imply that somehow if I just did things differently, he wouldn't be acting this way. So, give yourself a break and say "WOW, he's really something."

He may always be extremely sensitive, but he'll change from what he is right now. That is a guarantee. Don't let the pediatrician be too relaxed about it all. She may not really understand just how sensitive he is. Life is never dull, is it?

Benny
    OP Offline
    Thank you everybody so much for the replies! We�re planning on talking to DD�s doc next month for her well-baby visit so I�m going to bring a list of all the possible SPD things that she is doing. I have some videos too, like one of her reacting badly to the texture of a skirt I had put on her, do you think I should bring that too?

Also, for those of you that have done OT, how did you start it? Did your pediatrician recommend it? Was it covered by your insurance? How long did your children do it for?

LOL, She may be hitting those milestones later than she would if she wasn't putting so much energy into dealing with the world, you never know!

You know, after you said that it made me wonder. DD has been ready to walk "any day now" for what seems like forwever. She�ll take a few steps here and there but something seems to be holding her back. Who knows?

Oh, and we used to do baby signing but then got lazy with it. We really should�ve kept up with it because she was learning quite a few signs! I�ll have to try and get back to it...

I didn't get to read all the responses, so sorry if this is repetitive. But, everything you described was my son exactly at that age. We went the SPD route at age 4, but the therapy didn't help him too much. I did use some of the strategies at home, and at times it helped. Others have had huge success with the therapy regardless of whether it is/was true SPD or not.

I personally think my son has significant OE rather than true SPD, but really I wouldn't think it matters what you call it if the behaviors are the same. I'm not sure if the neurology behind OE vs. SPD is any different.

My ds's pediatrician says sensory processing develops at different rates for different people and that it's part of being a child. She also says that if you take a child to an OT to get tested for SPD, he/she WILL have SPD. She's never seen a child get tested and have it ruled out. She thinks it's like taking your car to the mechanic; they'll find something wrong one way or anther. I hate to say that b/c I'm a therapist too! Personally, I think it's more that sensory issues are typical for most kids, so everyone is going to have some area in which they could improve.

My son has grown out of a lot of his sensitivites but not all. He has no really major issues though, other than being highly emotional. I really wouldn't worry, especially if he's reaching milestones on time. Since you've noticed these things, however, I would recommend reading up on SPD strategies and implementing those on your own at home. They're great for any child and should help. Just my two cents. Hope this helps.

Oh, just looked up at your last post. Our insurance did cover a portion of the OT, but it was still pretty expensive. I'm a speech therapist, and I work closely with OTs and have some experiencce working with kids with SPD. I have to say, I haven't see one strategy you couldn't just do yourself. Of course, it helps to have the expertise of the therapist to help you get started, but there are lots of books you can buy on the subject and lots of info online if you want to avoid the expense.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM