Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 441 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    Hi, well, after a quick school change for DD6, grade 2, out of a public school with a one day a week pullout gt class, into a private school with no gt services we have come across a few "interesting" situations with DD's new teacher.
    First, let me preface this with saying that DD is being challenged in her new school, the teacher is bending over backwards trying to accomodate her and DD is starting to warm up to her. (She's a cautious one with her trust.) smile
    The problem we have is that Ms. S. (teacher) thinks that because DD is highly gifted and so much more advanced than any other student she has ever had that she should always make choices based on giving herself the harder option of work. For example, when given an option of doing a simple grammar multiple choice worksheet, and a more difficult one that requires writing, DD chose the easier one. Ms S didn't know what to do - she was amazed that DD didn't choose to challenge herself! Another time she mentioned to me that she didn't know what to do with DD about the books she chooses to read during silent reading. DD's level is gr 5, but she chooses to read the easy little books in the room instead. (DD will read anything, and the more "pretty" the book the better.)
    We told Ms S before DD moved into her class that she has never been challenged before, so we really don't have any idea how she will react, but that she will not act out in class and Ms S will not know if things are too easy for her unless she asks. We also told her about the intensities and perfectionism and all sorts of other things relevant to DD's personality. Yet, she seems to be stuck on all of her own ideas about how a GT kid is "suppose" to act in an academic situation. crazy
    I was wondering how do others deal with this? I know how hard it is to break these notions, but I think DD's doing a pretty good job blowing up all of them smirk

Sorry this is so long.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Kerry
    The teacher thinks that because DD is highly gifted and so much more advanced than any other student she has ever had that she should always make choices based on giving herself the harder option of work.
    This is where I've casually dropped in my "broccoli" analogy. If given the choice, our DS would not choose to add broccoli to his plate; we must make the choice for him.

I'm sure there are those select few who might routinely choose the more challenging work, but seriously, what 6/7/8 year-old kid, gifted or otherwise, is not going to opt for the easy choice?

If she's heck-bent on giving options, then simply offer two different assignments with roughly equivalent challenges. Tonight, for instance, our son got to choose between broccoli and spinach... the end result for us wasn't terribly important, but he got to make the choice. (He chose broccoli!)

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    I just wanted to chime in and say that my ds6 would choose the easy option too so that he could finish more quickly. Afterward, he'd complain that it was too easy. One day I asked him to make a choice similar to what you are describing. He chose the easier option, and I said, "you know, later you are going to complain that this was too easy." That's when ds6 said, "It seems like an adult decision to me." And, he was right.

W
    W
    Some gifted kids are also very aware of what their peers are working on or reading, and may choose materials or tasks that seem roughly equivalent (short books, rather than long) rather than more challenging. I love the broccoli analogy! I'm all for limited choices at this age especially. Could you help the teacher pre-select some books and let your child choose from a more limited range?

J
    J
    DS5.5 would pick the easy one too. I love the broccoli analogy, too, but DS5.5 LOVES broccoli! We'd have to use sweet peas instead. wink

B
    B
    I have to say, I have seen it so many times with my own DD's teachers. It seems that they don't understand what gifted means. I have had converstations where they have said "Well, if she is as bright as you say she is... there is more to work on in X grade, such as organization! After all, she forgot her folder on the table last week in the classroom!" SERIOUSLY?! Later on after the "official" standardized test results were in their views changed slightly, but I still feel that most teachers don't "get it". They think gifted=perfect. That gifted means they will always pick the more challenging thing to do. That they will answer every question perfectly in class. It never occurs to them that they child is still a child and still likes to read the "easy" books because they are only 6 or 7 and still like to read about the same topics that any other 6 or 7 year old girl or boy reads about (be it fairies, or spiderman etc.) whether it's too easy or not! I also have seen that in the beginning of the year, the teachers LOOK for ways to prove that the child isn't as "bright" as they have been told and will look for things to point out to foil the theory. Not always, but often. I think it is very hard to break away from teachers notions about what it actually means. I honestly think that they have academic achievement confused with gifted. They think that all gifted kids will be a+ students and have no idea that factors such as underachievement are a huge concern with that particular population. As a parent, I find myself not speaking up about it in the beginning of the year because my previous 2 experiences have been NOT WELL RECEIVED until they saw for themselves. By the end of the year, my DD was at her wits end with the "baby homework" as she called it and started asking the teacher (in a whisper in her ear) to PLEASE GIVE HER HARDER MATH WORK TO DO. It was then that teacher had an AHA! moment and realized that couldn't have been the result of a "pushy parent". In other words, the teachers don't always get it, and it takes some "teaching" from the parents to enlighten them as to what gifted is and is not!

OP Offline
    Sorry it has been so long since I started this. It's crazy here...
    But, I like the broccoli analogy - I'll try it next time I need it.

I think there is definitely a bit of the thought that it is us pushing her, rather than her pushing us. I had forgotten about that aspect.
    Last week DD blew her away with a page and a half "essay" she wrote about the Sahara desert, so I think she is moving beyond the initial ideas of how DD would behave, but isn't comfortable making the next step to understanding what DD really needs.
    I am hopeful that this will improve as the year goes on. DD is warming up to her, so that will help a lot in getting the message across that she is still just a kid.
    bh14 - We too have had the talk about her organizational skills. The really funny thing about this is that I was talking to some other parents from DD's class and they are having the same issues with their kids, but the teacher seems to see that as "normal" for them, but extraordinary for dd. confused
    Wouldn't it be great if people just accepted kids as kids and went from there?

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent