Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 376 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #56744 09/27/09 08:11 AM
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    Here's an easy idea for helping to reform gifted education, Make purchase suggestions to your local libraries
    I wonder if schools have a library for teacher resources? Or gifted teacher? or school Psychologist?
    If so give or suggest purchases of the following books.

http://print.ditd.org/young_scholars/Guidebooks/Davidson_Guidebook_Advocating.pdf

see page 5 and request that your library order the 3 books listed.

Ask if they would do a display of several gifted children/education type books?

Anyone else have ideas?

Last edited by onthegomom; 09/27/09 08:13 AM.
    A nation decieved was free on request last time I checked. Maybe we should challenge ourselves to get a copy of that into all of our local libraries and schools?

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    I
    I
    I was surprised to see my library doesn't have a copy of A Nation Deceived. There's an email address to send suggestions for an item be purchased for our local library collection. I'll ask if they'll include A Nation Deceived if I order it.

http://www.accelerationinstitute.org/Nation_Deceived/Get_Report.aspx

If I'm successful with the city library I'll try the school librarian next. Thanks for the idea!

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    A nation decieved was free on request last time I checked. Maybe we should challenge ourselves to get a copy of that into all of our local libraries and schools?
    Or how about... get separate copies into the hands of the District Sup, pertinent District Asst Sup, School Principal and perhaps even the GATE teacher/coordinator for School and/or District.

If I knew that the Belin-Blank Center had unlimited funds, I would love to do this.

I am admittedly guilty, though, of focusing my efforts on the here & now for my child. Negotiating for small changes rather than pushing for a district wide change-of-heart.

The noble goals take sooo long to accomplish, and my child would likely be long gone before anything meaningful happens. Right now, I barely have the time & energy to deal with him, so I'm being a little selfish.

If getting a copy of "A Nation Deceived" into policy-makers' hands would help, I know I could do that -- and could also muster up the energy for follow-up communication. But I think someone would need to lobby tirelessly from then on to see what, if anything, could be done.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    Originally Posted by Dandy
    I am admittedly guilty, though, of focusing my efforts on the here & now for my child. Negotiating for small changes rather than pushing for a district wide change-of-heart.

The noble goals take sooo long to accomplish, and my child would likely be long gone before anything meaningful happens. Right now, I barely have the time & energy to deal with him, so I'm being a little selfish.

Don't be guilty Dandy, you are a shining example of 'putting first things first.' It's all true what you say, and it would be a real shame to neglect your own child 'for the greater good.'

Also 'what's good for gifted' may not really meet your own child's needs, and what meets your own child's needs may not be needed by most gifted children.

Also - I totally agree that building a relationship is much more effective and more time consuming that 'here read this.'

So - like so many things - balance is everything. As my child is getting a bit older I am starting to have more energy to look at the bigger picture. Both are good in their own way.

Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    I think this is worth re-posting, Imagine the impact if everyone's library had some of the great gifted books. This is easy. The first time I read a book on gifted it was on display at the library.

See the past posts.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM