Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: onthegomom reforming gifted education - 09/27/09 03:11 PM
Here's an easy idea for helping to reform gifted education, Make purchase suggestions to your local libraries
I wonder if schools have a library for teacher resources? Or gifted teacher? or school Psychologist?
If so give or suggest purchases of the following books.

http://print.ditd.org/young_scholars/Guidebooks/Davidson_Guidebook_Advocating.pdf

see page 5 and request that your library order the 3 books listed.

Ask if they would do a display of several gifted children/education type books?

Anyone else have ideas?
Posted By: Grinity Re: reforming gifted education - 10/02/09 06:03 PM
A nation decieved was free on request last time I checked. Maybe we should challenge ourselves to get a copy of that into all of our local libraries and schools?

Smiles,
Grinity
Posted By: inky Re: reforming gifted education - 10/02/09 06:13 PM
I was surprised to see my library doesn't have a copy of A Nation Deceived. There's an email address to send suggestions for an item be purchased for our local library collection. I'll ask if they'll include A Nation Deceived if I order it.

http://www.accelerationinstitute.org/Nation_Deceived/Get_Report.aspx

If I'm successful with the city library I'll try the school librarian next. Thanks for the idea!
Posted By: Dandy Re: reforming gifted education - 10/02/09 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by Grinity
A nation decieved was free on request last time I checked. Maybe we should challenge ourselves to get a copy of that into all of our local libraries and schools?
Or how about... get separate copies into the hands of the District Sup, pertinent District Asst Sup, School Principal and perhaps even the GATE teacher/coordinator for School and/or District.

If I knew that the Belin-Blank Center had unlimited funds, I would love to do this.

I am admittedly guilty, though, of focusing my efforts on the here & now for my child. Negotiating for small changes rather than pushing for a district wide change-of-heart.

The noble goals take sooo long to accomplish, and my child would likely be long gone before anything meaningful happens. Right now, I barely have the time & energy to deal with him, so I'm being a little selfish.

If getting a copy of "A Nation Deceived" into policy-makers' hands would help, I know I could do that -- and could also muster up the energy for follow-up communication. But I think someone would need to lobby tirelessly from then on to see what, if anything, could be done.
Posted By: Grinity Re: reforming gifted education - 10/02/09 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by Dandy
I am admittedly guilty, though, of focusing my efforts on the here & now for my child. Negotiating for small changes rather than pushing for a district wide change-of-heart.

The noble goals take sooo long to accomplish, and my child would likely be long gone before anything meaningful happens. Right now, I barely have the time & energy to deal with him, so I'm being a little selfish.

Don't be guilty Dandy, you are a shining example of 'putting first things first.' It's all true what you say, and it would be a real shame to neglect your own child 'for the greater good.'

Also 'what's good for gifted' may not really meet your own child's needs, and what meets your own child's needs may not be needed by most gifted children.

Also - I totally agree that building a relationship is much more effective and more time consuming that 'here read this.'

So - like so many things - balance is everything. As my child is getting a bit older I am starting to have more energy to look at the bigger picture. Both are good in their own way.

Grinity
Posted By: onthegomom Re: reforming gifted education - 10/02/09 10:55 PM
I think this is worth re-posting, Imagine the impact if everyone's library had some of the great gifted books. This is easy. The first time I read a book on gifted it was on display at the library.

See the past posts.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum