Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 275 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #55739 09/17/09 07:47 PM
    Y
    YaYa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Y
    Good Evening All-
    I have come to this site with great hopes of advice and guidance from those of you who have been blessed with a gifted child. I have a 3 yr.10 month old little girl. I have researched until my eyes hurt, and still do not know where to turn for help. Every set of guidelines I have examined shows her to be exceptional. Whether she is actually gifted, I do not know. I can tell you all that at 14 months, she had a 200 word vocabulary, and by age 2 could identify the presidents, all of them. There are no local resources where I live, and early entrance to kindergarten is prohibited by law here. She will be almost 6 by the time she could start kinder, and at the rate she is progressing will be at 4th grade level by then. Where do I start? Any and all help will be appreciated more than I can say.

YaYa #55743 09/17/09 08:13 PM
    Are you looking for a preschool placement for her right now? Or are you needing resources and ideas for activities to engage her at home?

When you say early entrance is prohibited by law, do you mean state law or district policy?

Are you looking for resources for psychological testing?

Cathy A #55771 09/18/09 06:34 AM
    Y
    YaYa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Y
    In my case, state law prohibits early entrance to kindergarten. I have also contacted the local school district and was informed that there is currently no testing done on students any earlier than half way through their kindergarten year. We have a state pre-k program, but my daughter could not attend due to birthday restrictions. The school would not even consider it.
    Yes, testing resources would be wonderful.
    I am not sure is preschool is what she needs at this point. My grandson is in regular kindergarten, and she can and does do more than he can. She has been writing her name, alphabet, and numbers for over a year. She can do simple addition and subtraction, and has begun simple fractions. I try my best to find things to stimulate her, but I am sure I am not doing the best I can. If you could offer additional ideas on home activities, I would appreciate it. So would she!

YaYa #55775 09/18/09 06:45 AM
    J
    J
    Welcome YaYa!

I'll let the "experts" around here answer your questions. wink

JJsMom #55781 09/18/09 06:58 AM
    Q
    Q
    You might want to try www.time4learning.com. It's fun and young and goes through 8th grade. My DS loves it (not that he's been on it recently). But it is a fun, educational full curriculum well-suited for young children. I think it costs about $20/mos., and I believe there is a discounted prepay option. Of course, the mismatch will be even greater by the time she's ready for school. Then what... But she'll have fun meanwhile. smile

questions #55827 09/18/09 01:10 PM
    N
    N
    Welcome. smile

As for things to stimulate her at home, if you have books, art supplies, dirt, and lots of love and attention, I think you're doing fine. But I am a big fan of letting these kids do their own thing.

no5no5 #55832 09/18/09 04:32 PM
    K
    K
    Do the private, charter, or other k programs follow the state on early entrance. Plus you've got time to research and fight... but only if there is wiggle room. Can you legally skip K?

Also... I hate to ask the obvious but did you read the no early e on the state site or did you hear it from a non state person. Either way, I would actually call your state's department of education and ask... then if your state funds any gifted programs then ask to talk to a person who works in that area (different states call it different things - ours is like exceptional talent office I think). I was amazed that people in the state office actually talked to me at length, and emailed me back.

Of course, maybe you already know and it really it locked down... but what if a kid moved into state and was young, therefore, what if you tested into 1st. Or suffer k and skip 1st but now I'm really getting ahead of the game.

kickball #55834 09/18/09 06:30 PM
    H
    H
    Hi YaYa, I second what everyone else says and recommend Starfall http://www.starfall.com/

Welcome.

kickball #55835 09/18/09 07:03 PM
    Y
    YaYa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Y
    I read the no early entry rule on the state site, and it was confirmed by my area public school principal. I have e-mailed the gifted education office in our state, but have not received a response. I feel like everyone thinks I am exaggerating when I discuss how bright my little girl is. The local principal actually said-"every parent thinks they have a genius, but more often than not, this is not the case". I was not implying by any means that my child is a genius- but she is very bright.I was simply looking for a way to measure her ability. But, alas- my questions remain questions. Perhaps I do not know the right questions to ask. All I know is in all the years I have been around children, even my 2 that are grown with kids of their own, I have yet to be as impressed as with the intellect of this child. Should I just let it be and throw her to the wolves?
    Private school is out of the question for us- we simply cannot afford it.

YaYa #55836 09/18/09 07:31 PM
    You could have her tested by a psychologist with the WPPSI-III or SB-5. That may give you an idea of where you stand.

My DS started reading at age 2 1/2. We decided to have him tested at age 4 1/2 to get a better idea of his level of giftedness and to get recommendations from the psychologist about appropriate school placement.

Even if private school is too expensive, you may be able to enroll in a distance learning program like Calvert Homeschool. It's not free, but it's a lot cheaper than a private school! You could work with her at home until she is old enough to attend school and worry about appropriate placement then.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM