Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    I was wondering if anyone has ever had or heard of a parent hiring a teacher or tudor to come into there school? If a school doesn't have the resources to provide for your student this seems like it would be an option. Maybe there are complications that I'm not aware of.

Last year my DS9 teacher was open to letting him out of class for Music lessons at school. It was a scheduling issue. So why not bring someone in. Would this be outrageously expensive?

Last edited by onthegomom; 09/04/09 09:00 PM.
    D
    djf Offline
    D
    We suggested that a group of parents of gifted kids do this at our school. The principal said we couldn't unless it was after hours and unless the group was open to any students who wanted to join. Otherwise it would be perceived as exclusionary.

I don't know what she would have said if we wanted to bring in a tutor for just our one child. That might have been different.

W
    W
    It may depend on the teachers' union contract (assuming it's a public school). A couple of years ago a parent in my district hired a math tutor to work with her son when he was really struggling. The school principal had refused the parent's request for in-school assistance from a learning assistance teacher, and the child's classroom teacher had also refused to provide any additional help. The tutoring quickly came to an end after the teachers' union filed a grievance. The gist of it was that only unionized teachers could perform regular teaching duties at the school during school hours.

F
    F
    I have heard this is allowed at our school, but only during an elective time, like PE.
    I know of one kid who is allowed for Gifted and many that are allowed for extra help.
    Cound'nt hurt to ask

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM