Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: onthegomom outside tudor/teacher come to school? - 09/05/09 03:59 AM
I was wondering if anyone has ever had or heard of a parent hiring a teacher or tudor to come into there school? If a school doesn't have the resources to provide for your student this seems like it would be an option. Maybe there are complications that I'm not aware of.

Last year my DS9 teacher was open to letting him out of class for Music lessons at school. It was a scheduling issue. So why not bring someone in. Would this be outrageously expensive?
Posted By: djf Re: outside tudor/teacher come to school? - 09/05/09 04:53 AM
We suggested that a group of parents of gifted kids do this at our school. The principal said we couldn't unless it was after hours and unless the group was open to any students who wanted to join. Otherwise it would be perceived as exclusionary.

I don't know what she would have said if we wanted to bring in a tutor for just our one child. That might have been different.
It may depend on the teachers' union contract (assuming it's a public school). A couple of years ago a parent in my district hired a math tutor to work with her son when he was really struggling. The school principal had refused the parent's request for in-school assistance from a learning assistance teacher, and the child's classroom teacher had also refused to provide any additional help. The tutoring quickly came to an end after the teachers' union filed a grievance. The gist of it was that only unionized teachers could perform regular teaching duties at the school during school hours.
Posted By: Floridama Re: outside tudor/teacher come to school? - 09/09/09 01:31 PM
I have heard this is allowed at our school, but only during an elective time, like PE.
I know of one kid who is allowed for Gifted and many that are allowed for extra help.
Cound'nt hurt to ask
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum