Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 420 guests, and 40 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    E
    elh0706 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    E
    I loved JD's post. What a wonderful way to start of the year by recognizing the triumphs and tramas of the previous year and looking forward to both the fights and successes of the coming school year.

Today, I sent DS off to his last first day of Elem school. After hearing DS (10) discuss what he was looking forward to, and what made him anxious about the coming school year these past couple weeks, I know we have alot of battles ahead. Some DS will have solve himself, others his father and I may be able to help smooth the way. With our state writing assessment in the Spring, this year will be writing intensive. This will be a big challenge for DS since he struggles with handwriting and we still cannot get accommodations for typing or dictation. Also a challenge will be his teacher. She is very nice and overall a very good teacher but does not seem to understand that accelleration does not mean do every problem assigned but do 2-3 times as much work per night as the rest of the class. On the positive side, she was his math teacher last year so we aren't starting from square 1, his gifted teacher is wonderful and DS is starting out the year with a desire to do well.

Good luck to all in the coming school year!

Good luck elh0706! HOw did the first day go?

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    E
    elh0706 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    E
    LOL, Grinity!
    First day, DS forgot to bring home his binder with all the paperwork I needed to fill out. I do give myself a pat on the back for just calmly saying alright, bring it home tomorrow and letting it go. DS was in a lousy mood because he was going to have to stay in for recess for not having the filled out paperwork. It turns out his teacher didn't make him stay in for recess and he did bring home the binder the next day.
    My mantra this year is calm, both with Ds and the school smile

Hope things are going well for you and your family!

Calm is a great mantra!

DS13 had a totally frustrating first day of High School, hated being in a new building with new kids. I remember being overwhelmed the first few days too, back in the day. The second day he came home feeling fine.

It doesn't help that I don't know the people or the building or the 'customs' either, but I got my 'stalker-powers' on and did some sleuthing, so there are fewer 'covered-holes' now. For example, his 'assistant principle' in charge of his grade has a name that when pronounced, sounds like a 'dirty word.' I had my 30 minutes of freaking out over it, and now I can be sure to warn DS in advance, so he doesn't have to deal with that in public.

Love to everyone at this challenging time!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent