Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 105 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    I would love to hear some IEP ideas.

MY DS9 will be going into 3rd Grade. He did the Woodcock Johnson Achievement test and his is average 9th Grade across subjects with writing skills at 3rd Grade level. He is immature for his age. Teachers & I agree he should not go up a grade.

Here's the plan for this year.
    They will let him do 5th Grade while remaining with his class. His teacher has time to help with Math questions. He can get out his math puzzle books if done early.

They will give him the choice to read higher level books to be tested on the computer. They must read 50.

He has a choice to write a paragraph rather than a sentence for his cursive writing practice. Although, he did beatifully with his writing last year, he says he hates cursive.

They are open to him reading if he gets done early with his school work.

He may do some independent studies and presentations during this school year. They are to be done during the school day when he is done with work early. He likes science and has lots of interests. This gave him something to be excited about learning last year. It was very open ended.

They will pull him out with a group two times a week for 20 Minutes each time for math and reading enrichment program. He likes this.

Last year, he was very bored of already knowing the information or having to review too much. His teacher was very creative with supporting art projects and spelling and math competions that made the pracitce Homework more meaningful. I helped with Art once a week. He tuned out during art instructions he didn't need. He failed tests last year from zoning out. He sharpened many pecils down to little bits. Right now we need to stay in this school and make the best of it. The teacher says his plan can be flexible.

The goal is to challenge while let him feel apart of his peer group. So far the kids seem to look up to him for being smart in our neighborhood and school. I hope this will last. He's good at sports so that helps him connect with the other boys although social is hard at times. They say he is the very top student in his grade. I'm thnking they won't be teaching to his level. He learns very quickly and has not needed to study in the past.

I'm looking for ideas that will not be too much for the teacher. Please make sugggestions.

That all sounds very good. If he loves science (which was my daughter's fav subject), he can enjoy his projects. The teacher sounds very accommodating.

T
    T
    Here are a couple of thoughts--FWIW smile

I would recommend looking at Susan Weinbrenner's book and using the Resident Expert approach for at least some of his learning.

Ideally, the broad subject would be related to what class is studying in science and/or social studies:

A goal might read:

Given assistance setting goals, organizing resources, and developing a guiding question, "Tommy" will select a subtopic from an area of interest related to the classroom science or social studies unit. He will research the topic in order to answer his question, and will present his learning to the class in an oral, written or visual format.

I'm not sure how reading is organized in his classroom, but a thought would be to build his writing skills through his advanced reading abilities. For instance:

"Tommy" will demonstrate the ability to compare two books in the same genre or on the same topic, and to clearly explain the similarities and differences in writing.

OR

"Tommy" will demonstrate the ability to respond in writing to an open-ended question about a book (or books) that he has read, by identifying and exploring three or more examples from the text.

I question the goal of 50 books however. For a reader of his ability it seems like it would make more sense to "dig deep" than to read widely. I'm guessing from what you've shared that he already has the ability to read text and recall information from it. So, even with harder books, he won't necessarily be acquiring new skills if his goals are to read and answer questions. KWIM?

If he doesn't like cursive, and doesn't need extra practice, I'd personally recommend letting him stick with the sentence. Does he tend to finish his cursive ahead of other students? If he already has it mastered, would he be interested in learning to write in another alphabet?

As far as math, if there is a grade level curriculum that is available to him, then wouldn't the goal be to meet the standards in that curriculum?

Glad the school is willing to work with you. Our district is supposedly going to begin to develop individual plans, but I'll believe that when I SEE it! wink

O
    OP Offline
    O
    all the students must read 50 books in third grade and take a ar test. He will have the choice of reading more advance level books.

I like the idea of him expanding his writing abilities tied into these books. He reads very quickly - about 10 books a week in summer 15 a week last winter. His testing show above level comprehension.

I think we have the math part of his day covered well at this point. We just have to try it and see how it goes.

I will try to get reccomended books. I am looking for more he can do that keeps him busy using his time well without isolation or without more books and stuff to keep track of.

Some of the ideas that I have are:
    have him take an extra gym class. But that might cause resentment. wow would that be good for him if they would work. He loves gym.

another ideas that the school liked but couldn't schedule was to take music lesson. They offered the keyboard. I thought that would be great if he liked it and didn't feel like he was isolated missing out on being with his class.

I feel very luck the school is aware of abilities and willing to work with us. They said they never had a student like this before. I'm still worried for him. I'm not sure the exsiting plan will be enough for him. I feel like I need to be ready with more ideas. Things don't happen fast at school.

Last edited by onthegomom; 08/22/09 12:15 PM.
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    Does anyone have more ideas for IEP?
    or thoughts on what worked for keeping their child challenged without isolation or resentment or feeling outside his peers.

Grade acceleration is not out option due to maturity.

Originally Posted by onthegomom
    I am looking for more he can do that keeps him busy using his time well without isolation or without more books and stuff to keep track of.

Hi OTGmom,
    I'm so sorry that your son isn't a normal average boy. He really just isn't. You kind of have to choose between keeping him learning at his readiness level and keeping him looking 'average, or at least normal.' Some kids just don't have the temperment to let you choose - they act out if things aren't right. Some are more pliant and let you choose. Of those, some eat themselves up inside and some are perfectly fine.

I really think that you should revisit the gradeskip option with some additional subject accelerations, or consider homeschooling if possible. Lots of times people see the '9th grade level' and think 'what is the point of going to 4th grade when they are at a 9th grade level?'

There are 2 points -
    1) It establishes a precedent of 'this is a kid who has a unique developmental path, and we are going to give him a unique journey through the school system.
    2) There may be other kids in the 4th grade who are reading at a 9th grade, or at least a 7th grade level. Theortically, more kids in 4th grade than in 3rd grade.
    3) He may suddendly become more popular because more kids 'get his jokes' in 4th grade.
    4) He suddenly seem more mature, because lots of the triggers for his immature behavior are probably bordom and condesention - both of which decrease as he moves upward in grade.

In otherwords - if you want him to be busy and not isolated, do everything you can to make sure he is learning at his readiness level, and surround him with kids who are as similar as possible to him.

I hope I'm not being a nag here, if so, consider me talking to the lurker who is sitting 'behind' you and identifying with your post, ok?

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    IEP ideas: Try to get the 20 minute pull outs to be with kids who are similar in abiility level, not nescessarily in his grade.

I love the idea of keyboard learning. I'll bet you $5 that once he finally learns to keyboard comfortably that his written expression zooms ahead and starts to look like his other skills.

Actually, I'm just remembering your other post:
    just got my ds9 broad score from Woodcock Johnson III Achievement test.

Broad Reading 133, 99%
    Broad Math 145, 99.9%
    Broad Written 127, 97%

That Broad Written doesn't look like 'grade level' to me....

In the end, sitting and observing possible target classrooms and his 3rd grade classroom is one of the best ways to project how he might do with a skip.

Smiles,
    Grinity

O
    OP Offline
    O
    Woodcock Johnson III Achievement test.
    Norms based on 8yrs,9months

subtest,stadard score, percentge rank, Age equivalent

Letter word ident., 122, 93,12-9
    reading Fluency, 137, 99, 14-6
    Spelling, 126,96,15-2
    writing Fluency 130,98,12-1
    passage comprehesion 126,96,15-3
    writibg samples 101, 53, 8-11
    word attack 121,92,16-11
    reading vocabulary, 137, 99, 15-4
    Story recall 128, 97, >21
    understanding Directions 121, 92,15-0
    Calculation 146, 99.9, 15-2
    Math Fluency 122, 93, 11-2
    Applied Problems, 140, 99.6, 13-10
    Picture Vocabulary 118, 89, 12-0
    Oral Comprehension 138, 99.5, >23
    Quantitve Concepts 130,98, 12-11
    Academic Skills, 134, 99,14-1

cluster grouping:
    Basic reading skills 123, 94, 14-1
    Reading Comprehension, 136, 99, 15-4
    Math calculation 143,99.8, 13-4
    Total Achievement 140, 99.6, 13-6

Grinity - I am showing more scores above from the same test. Understanding what it all means in terms of his educations and relationship is still difficult for me. (It would be handy to be a gifted mom)

I am very scared to have my DS9 skip a grade(s). What happens when it's time for him to go off to college and he is not emotionally prepare? I'm also worried about how he would feel little amongst bigger kids. He's about average or a little smaller than his current class mates. Sports is also inportant for him. He would be disadvataged in the older grades.

My DS9's prior school(prek-1st)therapist said there is nothing wrong with him, just 2 yrs behind in maturity and a bit out of balance because of high intelect. He can be intense. He will catch up. (She didn't specialize in gifted) She said he was the smartest kid she every met. Yet he seems to be only borderline DYS with these score.

I am also keeping in mind a 20 minutes away Montessori School. $$$$ is a issue for us. I also like the ideas of him staying in the school near home so relationship are more convient. I also feel like at this point since I don't have a choice let's see what his current school will do.

His current school said he should stay with peers due to maturity. They have grade skipped many kids.

I think I will take your advise of trying to get him into a higher level Math enrichment and/or look into the Math club which may have older kids. I've been wondering as he does the 5th grade math will he still like the 3rd grade math enrichment. My son does best with a little change at a time. I think we need to take baby steps.

His current school said 3rd grade should be more challenging but that is what they said last year.

Are schools usally open to parents observing the older classes for these purposes? That's intersting. I never thought of that.

I feel like a driven Mom who's child has a disease she is trying to understand, looking for the cure. Luckly I only have my current situation. That should keep it in perspective but I feel obsessed. I loved my kids and want the best for them.

ps. I don't think your a nag. I can take or leave anyone's advice. I appreciate it all. And sometimes I need to hear advice/ideas a few times before I can take it on. Please just be you.

I'm not holding back my long winded posts. It's so hard to give enough details for understanding in a paragraph. This stuff is complex.

Last edited by onthegomom; 08/27/09 08:28 AM.
    I'm not holding back my long winded posts. It's so hard to give enough details for understanding in a paragraph. This stuff is complex.

Sing it sister! Very complex.

I feel like a driven Mom who's child has a disease she is trying to understand, looking for the cure. Luckly I only have my current situation. That should keep it in perspective but I feel obsessed. I loved my kids and want the best for them.

Yes, it is lucky that your son doesn't have a disease, but in many ways you are correct. His school is endangering him. Lack of opportunity to learn how to learn at this age can lead directly to situtions where real door close in the real future. You aren catasprphizing - you son is in danger, and the 'professional' keep being smug AND wrong. Bright people, when faced with situations that aren't 'ringing true' do rev into 'obsession mode' and a bright mom who feels that her son is in danger, and keeps being told - it's ok, is definitly wise to be in 'obsession mode.'

I'm thinking of Abraham with all those ex-egyptian slaves in the desert. That all had to radically change their perspecitives, and fast, in order to survive. And still it took a whole generation. You have considerably less time. My son was in your son's shoes in 2nd grade. He had a wonderful teacher for 3rd grade, but the problems were right back there in 4th grade. So I know all about skips that are later occuring. Not Pretty. It is totally possible to reverse your son's underachievement, but it won't be pretty.

ps. I don't think your a nag. I can take or leave anyone's advice. I appreciate it all. And sometimes I need to hear advice/ideas a few times before I can take it on. Please just be you.

That's good to hear. My BFF from far away came to visit when my son was in 1st grade with a behavior chart. She told me what I'm telling you, and I dismissed her. I said: 'Oh no, I asked the teacher and she assured me that he was bright, but nothing unusual.' I believed the teacher, not my BFF who had BTDT. It can't be changed, but perhaps I can help you?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...