Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 105 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    N
    Nan Offline
    N
    Oh, Cricket2, I'll laugh so hard if you do that - except I think that maybe at 10, you should still post about her in Childhood Years!

N
    Nan Offline
    N
    And Sciencemama, for what it's worth, I let my DS (heading into first) finish the HP series. Did your daughter end up reading them all? How did it go? It didn't seem to bother my ds at all, but I think he may have just read more superficially when it was disturbing. He seemed most disturbed by Dolores Unbridge in one of the middle books. Actually, come to think of it, I think that was the most disturbing part for me as well!

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Cricket2
    I don't want to be a jerk either, but it does have some obnoxious appeal to start posting about my 10 y/o starting 7th grade next week in the preteen forum along with some bogus problem we are having and see what type of response I might get - lol!

Hey, my 9 y/o is starting 6th in a couple weeks. We can post at the same time. And as an added bonus, we have lots of bogus problems around here! whistle

Val

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Cricket2
    I don't want to be a jerk either, but it does have some obnoxious appeal to start posting about my 10 y/o starting 7th grade next week in the preteen forum along with some bogus problem we are having and see what type of response I might get - lol!

That'll learn them for taking away the gifted board.
    It would be funny.

Is the thought that the MDC gifted board is going to be returned? Anyone know if they've done this to any other boards? What seems odd about it to me is that prior to the threads being moved I was totally unaware there was any concern or problem.

H
    H
    I am guessing it's just closed until Heather B returns from vacation.

E
    Exo Offline
    E
    Originally Posted by Val
    Hey, my 9 y/o is starting 6th in a couple weeks. We can post at the same time. And as an added bonus, we have lots of bogus problems around here! whistle

I can't say anything. I have two posts out there already. wink

Val Offline
    Given the number of new people writing intelligent posts who've shown up here in the last 24 hours, MDC's loss is this board's gain!

Val

Originally Posted by Sciencemama
    I haven't read the book, but I have to say, after hearing from some bloggers who were Ph.D. students in scientific fields, this is really true and even worse if you are female in your field. It seems that many academic science fields hasn't truly caught up with feminism.

I think the trick is finding a good adviser. The most important advice I'd give any Ph.D in science is really, really, really think about who you want as an adviser before you sign on the dotted line. Talk to other students of theirs, see what kind of jobs they get afterwards, make sure you're interested in their field of interest etc. For the most part I've had a really positive experience in a large part due to my adviser.

In German they refer to the Ph.D adviser as the Doktorvater (doctor father). I think it's pretty much those most accurate description I've ever heard. It really is like a parent/child relationship and as like parenting you can have great parents or abusive parents. However this time around you actually get to choose who you want as a parent!!

I've got two things to say about this thread.

1st. Welcome to the new posters, this is a great place to talk about our kids, the good, the bad, and the ugly(usually all wrapped up in one!).

2nd. On the net, I've seen too much commentary regarding other forums devolve into feuding with posters on both forums('sides') attacking each other. This is a great forum, invite the people from elsewhere that need a place to post with likeminded parents; let the others resolve their own issues.

S
    S
    Oh Grandma - I think you are right about #2. I don't think any of us want to have toxicity follow us here, but really we had the rug pulled under us and are feeling a little hurt by it. It wasn't even a major thing that triggered it. The issues were very minor and no one who questioned what was happening was rude about it. But rather than asking us not to discuss the matter amongst ourselves, they closed that forum down. It made no sense.

A similar thing happened at SENG - there was a great thing going and boom the powers that be pulled the plug (at least they gave us advance warning there so those who wanted to find a new place to go and bring their friends with could do so). Many people were displaced and the hardest thing was finding somewhere to go. I feel badly for those who only lurked and we don't know who they are so they can't be contacted to be told about this place. I emailed 15 posters about another gifted message board (for adults and children called My Gifted Life that was one that was created after SENG shut down). And that's how I found out about this forum. I imagine there were many more who lurked and I can't contact to let them know about either.

School is starting this week or next for many kids...I'm almost certain there's going to be a spike in questions as the kids adjust to the new year and good news and disappointments to share about the accomodations that may or may not happen.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM