Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 250 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    I haven't been to MDC. Did they lock the whole site or just the gifted forum?

S
    S
    Originally Posted by Val
    Originally Posted by Austin
    I see the same kind of lockstep thinking in many of the clients I work for - the adherence to an idea when demonstrably better methods are available.

Gifties need to understand human individual and group dynamics in order to protect themselves. Just like one would not want to walk around at dark in certain areas, there are certain cultures one does not walk around in with your brain hanging out, either.

Have you ever read The Trouble with Physics (Lee Smolin)? It's really two books in one. Most of the book is a great discussion about the current state of theoretical physics (TP). He discusses the dominance of string theory and the near-exclusion of other approaches in TP. He argues that progress in TP is being retarded by an unwillingness to allow different approaches.

The last 4-5 chapters are all about sociology and how it contributes to the problems described in the first part of the book. He also touches on the fact that these problems plague many other fields.

One of his major points is that intelligent, creative people face huge obstacles because:

1. Young researchers are pushed to follow the programs of senior researchers and are discouraged from pursuing their own ideas;

2. If you want to get an academic job in TP, see point number 1 for the correct course of action;

3. If you want to get a grant in TP, see point number 1 for the correct course of action;

4. If you want to get tenure in TP, see point number 1 for the correct course of action.

He talks about herd behavior and how it's having a serious negative impact on progress in his field. Simply put: individuals complain about the state of things in the field, but everyone seems to be powerless in the face of the group.

One of his key points is that there are two kinds of scientist: the one who has creative, new ideas (a seer), and the one who's less creative but more technically adept and can work through the details of the new ideas and push them forward (the master craftsman). He argues that both types are needed but only the latter ones are tolerated now (well, in 2007 when the book was published).

Seems OT, but I think the hostility to the gifted forum on MDC might be related to this idea. I also think that people are mostly only allowed to be different if their differentness is more-or-less the same as everyone else's, if you see what I mean.

Val

I haven't read the book, but I have to say, after hearing from some bloggers who were Ph.D. students in scientific fields, this is really true and even worse if you are female in your field. It seems that many academic science fields hasn't truly caught up with feminism.

It's not as bad on the clinical laboratory side of things - there's a bit more respect for women's contributions there (I used to work in clinical labs and was shocked to hear what goes on in academia).

I followed a blog of a woman working on her Ph.D in molecular biology, scraped by finally to get it after dealing for years of bs from her advisor, and now is doing something entirely different because she was totally disenchanted with the entire process.

Here's some real insight to grad school.

Should I go to grad school?

I will be looking for that book from the library.

Last edited by Sciencemama; 08/12/09 12:52 PM.
    C
    C
    They just locked the gifted forum and the thread in Q&S about the gifted forum rules. Apparently the mods have been moving a lot of threads out of PtGC (parenting the gifted child) into other parts of the boards -- books for my 4 y/o to the books forum, schools for my gifted child to learning at school, etc. There is also apparently some modification of the forum guidelines that indicates that threads about babies and toddlers should be posted in the age specific forums not the PtGC forum.

I don't know how important it is to know if your infant is gifted or whether one can tell for sure, but those types of threads didn't dominate the PtGC forum as far as I can tell. If a parents wants to discuss their gifted baby, it isn't an issue for me either and I imagine that it would get a much more receptive audience in PtGC than in the infants forum! It is a life long malady not one that starts in elementary school - lol!

Val Offline
    Moving threads about book-suggestions-for-my-literate-preschooler from Gifted to Books seems a bit over-controlling to me.

From what I read, the responses against the movement of posts were reasoned and logical, and I didn't see the need for exerting so much control.

Perhaps something else is going on.

Val

C
    C
    I'm sure that there is something else going on. I've been on MDC for quite some time and there was a similar big long thread when the PtGC forum came into being separate from the special needs forum. I've really never liked that we are not allowed to discuss what constitutes gifted, either, and (as I posted on the Q&S thread), it seems odd and arbitrary to moderate based upon a definition of what is and isn't related to being gifted without sharing that definition with the forum participants.

Apparently some the posts have been deemed more relevant to books, schooling, or the age of the child than the fact that s/he is gifted. I tend toward a broader definition wherein the child's giftedness can impact all aspects of her social and other functioning in the world. For one of my kids that has definitely been the case.

As someone else mentioned here, I do think that a lot of the complaints have been coming from people who take issue with the term gifted, with labeling children (although apparently not other special needs kids like those with ASD), and/or who have issues related to their experiences in GT programs as kids. The GATE programming I was in as a child in no way was adequate nor prepared me to learn how to work, but it didn't scar me either, so I guess that I don't have that hang-up.

Another online community I was in (unrelated to giftedness) disintegrated after the Admins made some rather arbitrary changes. The members left en masse and reestablished the community on hyperboards (a free web-hosting service).

Could be an option...

ETA, I'm sure everyone is welcome here as well!

E
    Exo Offline
    E
    Well Hi. Count me is an another migrating MDC'er.

One kind MDC mama pointed me over here to advocacy and what did I see over on the right hand side but this thread. wink

There are definite communication issues going on over there. The hesitancy to actually answer questions about the changes is perplexing and the cryptic responses that are given are very questionable.

I am testing the water by posting some threads in 'appropriate forums' while PTGC is down. I'm curious what would really happen if PTGC posters actually started posting elsewhere on MDC. I've been around long enough to know but am thinking that moderators and others have not.

The researcher in me is excited to see a direct comparison in responses to posts between forums if PTGC were to be re-opened.

In the meantime I enjoyed the wealth of information I perused here last night.

Exo

F
    F
    I haven't read the book, but I have to say, after hearing from some bloggers who were Ph.D. students in scientific fields, this is really true and even worse if you are female in your field. It seems that many academic science fields hasn't truly caught up with feminism.
    I am sorry but we are going to have to move your comment to tread about books. snicker snicker whistle

S
    S
    Originally Posted by Exo
    Well Hi. Count me is an another migrating MDC'er.

One kind MDC mama pointed me over here to advocacy and what did I see over on the right hand side but this thread. wink

There are definite communication issues going on over there. The hesitancy to actually answer questions about the changes is perplexing and the cryptic responses that are given are very questionable.

I am testing the water by posting some threads in 'appropriate forums' while PTGC is down. I'm curious what would really happen if PTGC posters actually started posting elsewhere on MDC. I've been around long enough to know but am thinking that moderators and others have not.

The researcher in me is excited to see a direct comparison in responses to posts between forums if PTGC were to be re-opened.

In the meantime I enjoyed the wealth of information I perused here last night.

Exo

I'm half tempted to go into other forums and start bragging up my dds, but that would be sinking to low levels. I don't even brag about them on PTGC. I sure appreciate the forum for what I did use it for.

One of them was asking about the Harry Potter book series for my first grader - whether or not I should let her continue with HP #4 - it's a 6th grade reading level. I don't know many first graders independently reading 6th grade books - which starts to get into dark topics. I didn't think to ask in books because I wanted the advice of other moms who's gifted kids could read independently. So yeah, I was one of the threads about books and independent young readers that got moved and I was a bit surprised about it.

Very strange indeed.

But I'm grateful for the two specifically gifted forums I have found. I think I'm going to be happy in both places.

Last edited by Sciencemama; 08/12/09 03:31 PM.
    C
    C
    Dd#1 started reading HP in 1st grade, too. I think that I responded on that thread of yours although I did let myself get sidetracked about the movies, too, so maybe I'm no better than the rest of the parents whose kids weren't reading 6th grade books in first grade wink.

I don't want to be a jerk either, but it does have some obnoxious appeal to start posting about my 10 y/o starting 7th grade next week in the preteen forum along with some bogus problem we are having and see what type of response I might get - lol!

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM