Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 455 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Mnsell, thanks for the feedback on the schools. I have also heard good things about Hulstrom, but unfortunately they do not accept out of district students. I liked Peak 2 Peak's parents info session, but now that I know more about gifted needs I could ask more pertinent questions. I was impressed that they had 6 reading ability groups in their K class. None of the other schools I looked at offered that. I'm still hoping that Mom2Boys will chime in with her thoughts on that school. wink

I had not heard about this school discrimination law. I thought that Stargate and Westgate both looked at IQ for entry. If they can't do that, then it won't be long until they are no longer high ability schools.

Cricket, Yes, I'm pretty sad to hear that too. I was really hopeful about that school. At this point, I really don't know where to turn to for schooling. I did see that they have job openings listed on their website, so maybe they are still trying to make it work. They are looking for a new Education Director. If they find someone really good they'll have a shot at turning it around, but they'll have to make some changes quickly.

K
    kmd Offline
    K
    Hi, I'm another parent from RMS. I had two children there-my son attended for 5 years and my daughter for three years. I concur with everything that mnsell has posted...RMS has serious financial issues and I'm not sure what would happen with any deposits received in the event that they do not open.

I have heard the same things about Stargate from multiple sources. While you need to have a child tested as part of the enrollment process, there is no IQ limit established--bc that would be discriminatory. Their evaluation process, in my experience, was nebulous/ethereal--nothing concrete--as the applications are reviewed by a parent board using subjective criteria. Siblings are given a preference. Thus, a gifted student would be enrolled as well as a non-gifted sibling. I have a friend that was a substitute teacher there and stated that there were some children that really struggled as a result. I had my son tested by a psychologist that Stargate recommended. He scored a fs 145, but hit many ceilings, I never had him tested using the SB, but understand that his IQ is probably higher. When I specifically asked if that was an acceptable range for Stargate student, she replied that it was higher than most students at Stargate. Additionally, I know of at least one boy who is probably profoundly gifted that was in district that was not accepted. They strive to maintain a 50-50 gender ratio for the classes, regardless of gender breakdown of the applications they receive (they receive many more apps for perspective male students than female students)--thus, it's easier to get a daughter enrolled than a son.

Westgate is an option that a lot of ex-RMS students were looking into-there were out of district students that were able to enroll *this year*. However, that's just because it was the first year. I'm thinking that 2nd year and beyond it will just be more and more difficult to enroll if you are out of district. Still, I'm not so sure given the non-discrimination policy in effect, that it would truly be able to serve gifted students for the same reasons that Stargate's hands are tied.

There are charter schools in Longmont, if you are that far north. Flagstaff Academy has received excellent reviews and I think I saw that 3 of their students scored the highest in some state science fair (3 out of 5 students who placed in this science competition were from Flagstaff). I also received a survey recently that suggests that parents are moving forward with the paperwork required for *another* charter school in the St. Vrain Valley SD-which would specifically address the needs of gifted children. That school would not open this year, but for 2010-2011 school year...so, there is hope.

K
    kmd Offline
    K
    Lafayette Elementary was a school that many parents were looking into and/or enrolling their gifted children. The principal there, Dr. Holly Hultgren, has a background in gifted education (Ed. D. School Administration and Gifted Education � University of Denver, CO). From the school's web site, "Dr. Hultgren has recently been named the 2008 Colorado National Distinguished Principal of the Year. "

In any event, there's another option to look into on the No end of town.

http://www.bvsd.org/schools/Lafayette/staff/Pages/principal.aspx

B
    B
    hi everyone- RMS is officially not reopening. Got the call a few days ago. We are new to the gifted world as well and were hoping for a placement for our 4.5 year old daughter. BVSD is kind of a nightmarish process for early placement, especially so close to the start of the next school year as she is a year off for K. We looked at Peak to Peak and Flagstaff options but they are a lottery and also have age cut off dates.

We have finally decided this week after touring so many to places to enroll her at Broomfield Academy. Their director also has a background in gifted education. It is an accelerated and creative program with individualized learning plans. Although they also have an accelerated preschool after the K teacher met with her they think kindergarten is the most appropriate placement. It is not gifted per se but students won't hit a ceiling and you can also set goals that are not academic. They are a member of the National Association for Gifted Children and this school was as close to the recommendations as we could get from her testing in Denver and the Gifted Development Center did have it on the list! I'll let you know how it goes!

Last edited by Branwen; 07/31/09 06:37 PM.
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Kmd, thanks for the school suggestions. Longmont area is probably too far north for us unless we move (which we are sort of considering). Do you have any idea where I could get more info on the proposed charter school? Lafayette would be doable, so I will look into that school more, thanks!

Does anyone know where the non-discrimination policy is in effect? Is it just Adams-12?

Branwen, that is wonderful that you found a good placement for your DD! I have heard good things about Broomfield Academy, but for some reason I always thought it was a daycare/preschool only? I see now that I was mistaken, and I will look into it. It is very close to me, so that would be great if it turned out to work for us.

A friend who used to teach just recommended some schools to me:
    - Bear Creek in boulder, it focuses on math, music and science.
    - Mesa in boulder.
    - Community Montessori in boulder, provides one on one instruction.

I have not heard how they do with GT kids, but she thought they would be pretty good since the families in the area are very math and science oriented (math PhD's, engineers, etc). My friend doesn't know where my DD is at with academics though, and I don't feel comfortable telling her, so her recommendations are not specific to the LOG that we are dealing with. Does anyone have any knowledge of these schools?

Thanks!!!

B
    B
    Hi Sdrothco- Broomfield Academy is having an open house on August 6, 2009, 9 AM and 5 PM.

A Bear Creek kindergarten teacher's assistant works for us part time. It is one of the best elementary schools in BVSD. She thought our DD could try to open enroll there but she warned me that the class size is still quite large 25+ which has been a problem at DD's current Montessori school. She also said that she thinks the 'smart ones' don't get the attention they need. They do pull out options though. Anyway, it will be on our list for open enrollment next year. This is so challenging! Truly!

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Branwen, thanks for the feedback on Bear Creek. Sounds like it might be an option if we were to move to BVSD.

I've been poking around on the Broomfield Academy's website, and it sounds quite interesting. I noticed that they said students were accepted based on tests, but they are pretty vague. Is there an IQ requirement? I'm going to try to make it to the open house, but its a crazy busy day for us so I don't know if I'll be able to. Am I correct in assuming they only have full day K? Maybe I could move her there for 1st... The IEP's sound fantastic! smile

B
    B
    Hi Sdrothco,

No formal testing or IQ requirement, although we had this done already so we offered it to them- they want anything they can get their hands for the ILP. They do have your child meet 1 on 1 with the teacher whose class they anticipate them being in for about an hour to see if it is a good fit. I do believe that both K classes are full day. They explained to us that evaluations are more important for grades 1-6 for matching with the accelerated model, so I think fit becomes more of an issue the older the kid is...

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Thanks Branwen! I'm going to go have a tour with the principal on friday. My only option would have been to take all 3 kids to the open house alone, and that would have been far too insane.

I'm worried about the full day K thing...I really, really want half day K for my DD, mostly because I just want more time with her. They said I could put down a deposit to hold a place for her for 1st grade though, so I will at least consider that.

The administrator initially misunderstood me when I was speaking with her and thought I wanted to skip DD into 1st and said they could assess her and if it was a good fit they would do it. It kind of got me wondering...? Maybe I'm just insane trying to keep her in K? I really wanted her to have the play time, you know? But she's reading 4th grade books and does 1st grade math easily. I have no idea how she could begin to fit in to her traditional K class we have lined up, even *with* separate reading groups. But then I swing back to thinking "she's not *all that*, you know"...and a 3 hour class is mostly about play anyway, right? Sigh. This stuff is driving me nuts...

So I'm crossing my fingers that it will look like a good fit at least for 1st if not for K. smile

C
    C
    How about doing the half-day K and then skipping 1st to enter 2nd the following year? That way she still gets the shorter day and play aspect while she is still young but then skips some of the repetitive "learn to read fluently" stuff and flash cards that can happen in 1st grade.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM