Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 356 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Karin #51016 07/20/09 02:13 PM
    M
    M
    What an AWESOME accomplishment!!!!!! HUGE Congrats!!!!!!

Karin #51159 07/23/09 05:49 PM
    K
    K
    Get your portfolio in... we dragged our feet for almost the whole year. Of course now I'm dragging on the next kid and her scores will expire next year so... think the summit would be a better investment if we were taking both. Our biggest thrill to date - making a friend from the list of local dys kids.

kickball #51192 07/24/09 10:59 AM
    OP Offline
    Yes, I can't wait to get into the website to see if anyone lives near us.
    I am working on that portfolio for the little one, it is nearly done. I look forward to getting it in so that I can move on ...
    It is time consuming to constantly think "should I tape that"? "Should I send that thing in that she just did?"
    Thanks!

B
    bk1 Offline
    B
    Hi:

I didn't have a video camera and knew it would make DS nervous, so I just unobtrusively turned on a digital recorder/mp3 player on a table while we did a science experiment, and captured DS's extreme curiousity and advanced knowledge (for his age) of chemistry, electricity, and history and such as we did the experiment. He's always very chatty and inquisitive.

I then sent in the audio file as part of the application. I'd never mentioned DYS to him and we only told him later, after he got in, about the program.

bk

bk1 #51439 07/29/09 05:59 AM
    F
    F
    Just curious... Why/If I should I apply to DYS.
    My DD7 functions great in her school and we don't need any outside enrichment.

Is there any other reason we should apply for her?

Our business is VERY busy in the summer, so we would not be able to go the yearly conference.

Dottie #51447 07/29/09 07:18 AM
    I agree 100% with Dottie: we're in DYS largely because of the contact with parents and other HG+ kids. Sharing experiences and resources that work for other families is really nice.

Realize that there are informal, regional get-togethers planned beyond the big national one. Having access to other HG+ families in your area is nice for playdates, too. I made a really good friend through DYS, and there are several more friends whom I "e-met" here first and then got to meet IRL because of our DYS connection. These are lifelong friendships, I think, because we have much in common and we speak the same language.

And my kids have made friends, too. Oh yes, the kids... wink I joke, but it's really true that when we're with DYS familes, I CAN focus more on my own conversations because my kids are happy and connected with the kids they're with. They have plenty of non-DYS friends, too, but socializing always seems somehow more relaxed and EASY with DYS families. It's hard to explain, but you know it when it happens. Everyone just seems to exhale and feel at home. It's really nice.

I'd also support what Dottie is saying about not knowing what the future brings. I think of the other services and resources that DYS offers as insurance. If I need them, they're there. And it's just nice to have a consultant asking how things are going a couple times a year, even if my answer is "They're fine." It gives me someone who knows what they're doing to bounce ideas off of if I want to.

Finally, there are also online seminars for both kids and parents with experts and educators. Lots of good opportunities!

They also offer financial aid if you need it. While need is a factor, they are not solely need-based.

It's free. All that's required is that you fill out the (long!) application. There's really no risk and lots of reward.

Kriston
    Kriston #51449 07/29/09 07:34 AM
    C
    C
    I have said so many times over the past few months that if we could just find another 3 year old into multiplication and the state capitals, we'd be golden...G would have an instant friend. smile I'm really looking forward to applying to DYS if his tests come back appropriately because I'd love to find those other kiddos. We need to meet some of them. smile

F
    F
    Thanks for the comments. smile
    Our biggest issue is that the IQ test our school uses, RIAS, is not one that DYS accepts and she has never had any achievement tests, other than the easy grade level stuff. So, I would have to fork out alot of money for an achievement test and a different IQ test.
    We also have a DS who just turned 3 & will most likely need DYS assistance. We just figured we'd reserve our scarce funds for the kid who is probably going to need it the most, our DS3.
    I have said so many times over the past few months that if we could just find another 3 year old into multiplication
    That is impressive!

If you're pretty sure DS3 will need DYS help, then you can certainly wait. The family reaps a lot of benefits from having one kid in DYS, even if the other is not in for whatever reason.

Then again, get one in now and you can apply for financial aid for camps, school stuff, even computers...

Kriston
    Kriston #51473 07/29/09 10:58 AM
    The parental support, local friends, and local gatherings are priceless. If you have the scores then apply. The application is long but you have to do it only once. Well worth it.

You may also need help in the future. DYS also offers seminars for both the kids and the parents. They can help you find a tutor in the future. There is financial assistance if needed.

The scores are valid for 2 years. You can wait a few months if you are too busy now.

LMom
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs