Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: elizabethmom DYS acceptance! - 07/10/09 03:57 PM
I didn't want to step on the other acceptance thread so I started my own -

We got our DYS acceptance today for DD9. For DD5 they are interested but would like more information/portfolio pieces.
I am so excited for one but back to figuring out how to capture the other...
Posted By: Kriston Re: DYS acceptance! - 07/10/09 04:03 PM
Yay! laugh

Have you tried video to capture your younger child's GTness? I'm a firm believer that seeing a PG kid in action is a lot more persuasive than reading about it, especially for younger kids.
Posted By: elizabethmom Re: DYS acceptance! - 07/10/09 04:13 PM
Yes, but this is what I did:
I really didn't investigate first. I had her read first grade work (she is 5) on video and she felt weird doing it on video. Then we read second grade work, but I kept thinking she'd get stuck on a word and would quit, so I turned off the camera, just to have her figure out the word and keep reading, so I turned it back on. It must have looked weird.
I didn't want to rehearse in any way, so this was my weird method. Is there a way to capture a child doing what they do best, without them feeling self conscious for the camera or rehearsing them?
This is my thought now:
I could buy a second grade workbook and have her fill it in on camera, maybe a hidden camera (or say it isn't turned on).
She does academics 2 grade levels ahead and some 3 ahead, but capturing it is so hard! She doesn't write stories yet, still has creative spelling that is hard to read.
Any advise for me?
Posted By: Edwin Re: DYS acceptance! - 07/10/09 06:01 PM
Congradulations!!!!
Posted By: momx2 Re: DYS acceptance! - 07/10/09 06:02 PM
Congrats! Best of luck to DD9 and keeping our fingers crossed for DD5.
Posted By: Kriston Re: DYS acceptance! - 07/10/09 10:29 PM
What does she do that is most "her"? You know? The thing she does that makes you doubt your GT denial the most because you just can't believe that other kids do that thing?

Film that.

Often it involves getting a child to talk about what they're passionate about, especially if they drew or wrote something to go with what they're saying. Creative spelling doesn't really matter if you have video of her reading/explaining what she wrote.

Turning the camera on casually and setting it on the table without letting her know that it's on is a good idea if she's reluctant to be herself with it on.

BTW, I don't think that 1st grade work would get a 5yo into DYS. I could be wrong, but that's my impression. I'd recommend that you show her doing late 2nd grade work at least, and 3rd would be better. Remember that you're not merely trying to show that she's GT, you're trying to show that she's PG. The usual rec is at least 3 years ahead of age level, and 3+ is more persuasive.

HTH!
Posted By: elizabethmom Re: DYS acceptance! - 07/10/09 10:49 PM
Thanks. I looked at our current book (that she's reading) and it is 2nd grade. She has done some third grade work as well, so I will try to figure out how to capture it. I just emailed our librarian to see if she will do an AR test, that might help offer something concrete, but the library (school) is closed until school starts.
Posted By: chris1234 Re: DYS acceptance! - 07/11/09 11:26 AM
Hi, I am not video taping for dys for our dd3, but had some unexpected smart stuff caught on video a few times when I've brought out a book or puzzle that she loves and has lots to talk about - pictures of different animals, words she can read (I guess), details she can talk extemporaneously about, like why she thinks one kind of chicken is the boy and one is the girl.
So, like Kriston said, get a conversation rolling might be a better bet, probably will take a few tries and for you to just go with her flow...that part is hard smile
Posted By: chris1234 Re: DYS acceptance! - 07/11/09 11:31 AM
And congrats on your dd9's acceptance smile
Posted By: Karin Re: DYS acceptance! - 07/11/09 08:05 PM
I have just joined this forum and am completely confused what all the dd6, dys, etc. means. What is that?
Posted By: Lorel Re: DYS acceptance! - 07/11/09 09:32 PM
Hi Karin-

DYS is Davidson Young Scholars. The Davidson Institute runs this board. DD means dear daughter. DS means dear son.

welcome!

Posted By: Cathy A Re: DYS acceptance! - 07/11/09 11:32 PM
That's great news, elizabethmom! smile
Posted By: Karin Re: DYS acceptance! - 07/12/09 01:41 AM
Thanks for telling me. It was making me crazy trying to figure that one out. I kind of came across this site through the back door so I don't know anything about the institute.
Posted By: Kriston Re: DYS acceptance! - 07/12/09 02:33 AM
There's a sticky here that lists a number of common acronyms and/or places to find such lists:

http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....of_Common_Gifted_Acronyms.html#Post13990

It's very helpful!

Welcome! smile
Posted By: st pauli girl Re: DYS acceptance! - 07/12/09 04:10 PM
Yay! Congrats to you and DD9! And good luck with your portfolio for DD5.
Posted By: LMom Re: DYS acceptance! - 07/13/09 05:18 PM
Congratulations to you and DD9!

I am sure you will eventually come up with a good portfolio for DD5. As for reading my guess would be that even 2nd or 3rd grade may not be enough. I think early reading is very common among gt kids (or I am spoiled by mine smile I would think taping a discussion about area of interest will show gt in better depth.
Posted By: Floridama Re: DYS acceptance! - 07/13/09 05:31 PM
Congrats!

Posted By: elizabethmom Re: DYS acceptance! - 07/13/09 09:52 PM
Thanks, and "LMom" that is an interesting idea to think about. I guess I was thinking that since we don't have achievement scores, reading and math on tape would replace it, but you make a good point.
Posted By: LMom Re: DYS acceptance! - 07/14/09 01:45 AM
For example today after dinner DS5 started talking about replication of viruses, including cell DNA and all that goes with it. Then he moved onto ancient Indian civilizations. Why I didn't tape at least part of it is beyond me.

If you don't have achievement data then have her take the test. If I understand it correctly your daughter scored 99.9% but bellow the 150 cut off on WPPSI. I strongly believe that in such case you need both strong achievement data and portfolio.

Good luck
Posted By: shellymos Re: DYS acceptance! - 07/20/09 07:58 PM
Congratulations!
Posted By: mom2sofia Re: DYS acceptance! - 07/20/09 09:13 PM
What an AWESOME accomplishment!!!!!! HUGE Congrats!!!!!!
Posted By: kickball Re: DYS acceptance! - 07/24/09 12:49 AM
Get your portfolio in... we dragged our feet for almost the whole year. Of course now I'm dragging on the next kid and her scores will expire next year so... think the summit would be a better investment if we were taking both. Our biggest thrill to date - making a friend from the list of local dys kids.
Posted By: elizabethmom Re: DYS acceptance! - 07/24/09 05:59 PM
Yes, I can't wait to get into the website to see if anyone lives near us.
I am working on that portfolio for the little one, it is nearly done. I look forward to getting it in so that I can move on ...
It is time consuming to constantly think "should I tape that"? "Should I send that thing in that she just did?"
Thanks!
Posted By: bk1 Re: DYS acceptance! - 07/29/09 02:09 AM
Hi:

I didn't have a video camera and knew it would make DS nervous, so I just unobtrusively turned on a digital recorder/mp3 player on a table while we did a science experiment, and captured DS's extreme curiousity and advanced knowledge (for his age) of chemistry, electricity, and history and such as we did the experiment. He's always very chatty and inquisitive.

I then sent in the audio file as part of the application. I'd never mentioned DYS to him and we only told him later, after he got in, about the program.

bk
Posted By: Floridama Re: DYS acceptance! - 07/29/09 12:59 PM
Just curious... Why/If I should I apply to DYS.
My DD7 functions great in her school and we don't need any outside enrichment.

Is there any other reason we should apply for her?

Our business is VERY busy in the summer, so we would not be able to go the yearly conference.
Posted By: Kriston Re: DYS acceptance! - 07/29/09 02:18 PM
I agree 100% with Dottie: we're in DYS largely because of the contact with parents and other HG+ kids. Sharing experiences and resources that work for other families is really nice.

Realize that there are informal, regional get-togethers planned beyond the big national one. Having access to other HG+ families in your area is nice for playdates, too. I made a really good friend through DYS, and there are several more friends whom I "e-met" here first and then got to meet IRL because of our DYS connection. These are lifelong friendships, I think, because we have much in common and we speak the same language.

And my kids have made friends, too. Oh yes, the kids... wink I joke, but it's really true that when we're with DYS familes, I CAN focus more on my own conversations because my kids are happy and connected with the kids they're with. They have plenty of non-DYS friends, too, but socializing always seems somehow more relaxed and EASY with DYS families. It's hard to explain, but you know it when it happens. Everyone just seems to exhale and feel at home. It's really nice.

I'd also support what Dottie is saying about not knowing what the future brings. I think of the other services and resources that DYS offers as insurance. If I need them, they're there. And it's just nice to have a consultant asking how things are going a couple times a year, even if my answer is "They're fine." It gives me someone who knows what they're doing to bounce ideas off of if I want to.

Finally, there are also online seminars for both kids and parents with experts and educators. Lots of good opportunities!

They also offer financial aid if you need it. While need is a factor, they are not solely need-based.

It's free. All that's required is that you fill out the (long!) application. There's really no risk and lots of reward.
Posted By: CatherineD Re: DYS acceptance! - 07/29/09 02:34 PM
I have said so many times over the past few months that if we could just find another 3 year old into multiplication and the state capitals, we'd be golden...G would have an instant friend. smile I'm really looking forward to applying to DYS if his tests come back appropriately because I'd love to find those other kiddos. We need to meet some of them. smile
Posted By: Floridama Re: DYS acceptance! - 07/29/09 03:37 PM
Thanks for the comments. smile
Our biggest issue is that the IQ test our school uses, RIAS, is not one that DYS accepts and she has never had any achievement tests, other than the easy grade level stuff. So, I would have to fork out alot of money for an achievement test and a different IQ test.
We also have a DS who just turned 3 & will most likely need DYS assistance. We just figured we'd reserve our scarce funds for the kid who is probably going to need it the most, our DS3.
I have said so many times over the past few months that if we could just find another 3 year old into multiplication
That is impressive!
Posted By: Kriston Re: DYS acceptance! - 07/29/09 03:52 PM
If you're pretty sure DS3 will need DYS help, then you can certainly wait. The family reaps a lot of benefits from having one kid in DYS, even if the other is not in for whatever reason.

Then again, get one in now and you can apply for financial aid for camps, school stuff, even computers...
Posted By: LMom Re: DYS acceptance! - 07/29/09 05:58 PM
The parental support, local friends, and local gatherings are priceless. If you have the scores then apply. The application is long but you have to do it only once. Well worth it.

You may also need help in the future. DYS also offers seminars for both the kids and the parents. They can help you find a tutor in the future. There is financial assistance if needed.

The scores are valid for 2 years. You can wait a few months if you are too busy now.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum