Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 141 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    OP Offline
    Kriston:

Still debating the why. At first I concluded that she is not getting mad because 'I' didn't fulfill her requirements because throughout the rest of the day our relationship is well defined. I am not the type of mom that gives in to demands. Now I really think it is because I don't give in to the demands throughout the rest of the time that she has focused into this obsession at nap/night time. (If that makes sense) As for the other possibilities you brought up: I don't get that something 'bad' will happen to her but it is possible that her actions fall under the MUST be done but I still think it is too early to classify this under that. I still think we are under a fun activity that got mommy to do my bidding and now it has turned into this obsession which brings me back to the 1st possibility.

I have asked her before about why she has to have mommy do all of the actions but never really got past the orders ... she can be very stubborn. If she doesn't want to talk about something she absolutely won't. She will totally ignore us. But I am going to ask her again tomorrow when not in the middle of doing the actions and see what she says.

It may also mean that she's not sure why, and that's okay. "Because I want it that way" is the safe answer here, I think, and it sounds like that's what's going on.

FWIW, the more you say about it, the more normal it sounds to me. I just didn't want to dismiss it out of hand as harmless, you know?

But it sounds to me like a very normal--maybe even typical!--control issue for a GT 3yo. I wouldn't recommend making a big deal of it. Then it just becomes more of a battleground for her to stand firm about. I don't think I'd even recommend that you ask her about it further. Unless it scares her, I'd say accept what you con tolerate and then no more, but don't make anything of it with her.

Where shall I send my bill for the utterly amateur psych consult? LOL! wink

Kriston
    OP Offline
    I recently changed my cyber address and the mail hasn't caught up. Darn!

After reading everyone's opinions on the topic and evaluating the situation tonight; I am even more certain that I am dealing with another quirky habit. I even tested her tonight, explaining that I would only do one thing and allowing her to choose the one and she didn't pitch the fit I expected.

Thank you all for the opinions b/c as I said ... talking to other moms with kids the same age I was constantly getting the 'how strange' comments but I think the strange element really highlights the gifted factor which seems to be backed by the reassuring comments of all of you.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM