Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    N
    Niki Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    Hi. I have posted some time ago asking for a help to decipher my son's IQ scores. I do a lot of reading on this forum, although I don't post as much.
    Here is some update on us:
    My HG DS5 is starting Kinder this August. (We have home schooled until now, with him mainly being in the lead for all subjects of study. It is amazing how much we have covered.) We have searched for a best school we could find. We visited full time gifted public, full time gifted private, and bunch of others. My son finally fell in love with public magnet science, math and technology school. The school seems really great: their motto is learn with hands on. It has its own planetarium, mock up space station room where children perfom various tests in astronaut suits, flight simulator ,real science class room with live animals and microscopes (this was a big selling point for my DS), lego robotics, invetions club, chess club, also art and music, and much more. However they only offer pull out gifted classroom 45 minutes a day/5 times a week for math and reading. The gifted teacher reviewed DS's tests and work and is ready to start to work with him on the 3rd grade level of math and reading. The rest of the day he will be in his regular K classroom. He is allowed to join some after school clubs that are for 2nd graders and higher: science club and chess club. Our district is strictly against grade skipping, that is why they offer gifted programs, we were told.
    But DS's examining psychologist told us, that DS will most likely be bored in gifted school. So we tried to look beyond, and this program seemed less limiting to ones capabilities.
    However, I still worry if we made the right choice and if regular school is even a good option. I am stay at home mom, and can go back to HSing on moments notice.
    I am sorry for this long intro, but here is my question: What are the signs in child's behavior, to be on a lookout for? I know, some of you mentioned that your children had horrid year at K, and I want to avoid that experience for my DS. I like to be proactive. DS is my only child, and he loves learning! I would hate if his love of learning would disappear.
    Thanks in advance. Niki

Wow - that sounds like a fabulous school! I wish we could send our HG+ DS5 there too. I don't have any advice yet, as we are in sort of the same position. Our DS5 will be starting kindergarten in our local public school. The school doesn't have any official gifted program until 3rd grade, but they recognize that DS should not have to sit through basic learning to read and beginner math stuff, so they're going to provide some differentiation. But I'm green with envy hearing about your school with a planetarium and real science labs!

I have read that some HG kids really like kindergarten, since it's not all about sitting in your seat all day long, so hopefully this will be the case with your DS. And perhaps the nonskipping policy could be readdressed when the school sees what your DS is capable of.

Sorry I'm of no help, but I'm also interested in hearing what others have to say with regard to your question.

F
    F
    My DD7 also goes to a magnet school. We had a great K year and she still loves it. She was pretty advanced for K but being ahead really helped boost her confidence.
    My school, also does not allow grade skips, but they do offer leveled grouping which helps some. There are a few subject areas and assignments which are beneath her, but she is still learning new stuff everyday so we are happy.
    I think your Magnet school sounds great! Many schools only offer gifted pull-out for 1hr/week, so 45min a day is a blessing!
    You can't predict how your child will fit into the school picture. I say give it try and see. It sounds like you have a good plan! laugh

Wow! That school sounds wonderful! I say don't borrow trouble. There are kids who are PG and w/ some accommodations, do just fine in PS given their personality. Others who may test lower on an IQ test, but can't stand 5 min of boredom (my son lol), would just die. You can't go by just IQ scores...I think personality factors soooo much more heavily into the school experience than IQ.

I guess if it were me, I'd try out the magnet science school. I had a great time at school. Loved it. It took me some time to get over the sadness I felt that my son didn't love school. It took me 3yrs before deciding to HS.

On the otherhand, some are wedded to HS even though PS might work and just keep on HSing and that's fine too lol.

B
    B
    Funny, I just posted on another thread about having to decide whether to move my son from his current gifted public school to a charter school-- and he showed ALL the signs Lauren mentions: classwork coming home, reading under desk, loss of enthusiasm.

N
    Niki Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    Thank you all for your input.
    I feel, we are pretty lucky living close to such school. And although it is not in the perfect neighborhood, it really seems
    great. (It is a hidden pearl in our area, it seems.) After seeing all the other schools my son said there is no reason to go to school. After we visited this one, he said, he wanted to go to school. So, that is what we will do.
    I do agree that a big part of it is unpredictable, and we will just see how it goes. I love HSing, but I worry about not being able to keep up in couple of years. A big plus for me with this school is that there are lot of men and women working there, who are truly into science and math, and my DS will have the opportunity to ask questions. Because I ran out of the answers long ago...
    Thank you, Lauren, for sharing your experience.
    I will give you update how DS is doing.

B
    B
    oh my ... that school sounds terrific!

would you mind sharing where it is located? I'm sure it's not around here (lol) but am just curious!

thanks

N
    Niki Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    It is in South Florida, Palm Beach county.
    What is interesting, not many people even know about it.
    There is a lottery process to get into magnet schools around here (some are impossible to get into),
    and with this school almost all in Kinder, who apply get in. Some parents decide against it, based in what area it is (and 20% of the children from the area come to the school), but it did not seemed different from any other school that we have visited. Some people find ti too boyish, with all the science.
    We will see. They are welcoming parents to volunteer, I am hoping to be able to on regular basis.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM