Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 121 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #49372 06/14/09 07:00 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    I got result for my son's IQ test
    VCI 140
    PRI 123
    WMI 113
    PSI 94
    FSIQ 126
    I'm wondering if he is considered gifted?
    There is more than 40 points difference in verbal comprehension and processing speed, how did it effect his FSIQ?

maplepark #49373 06/14/09 07:17 PM
    Hi Maplepark,
    Does your report mention General Abilities Index (GAI?). That index is calculated from VCI and PRI when there is a large gap between those indices and WMI/PSI. If you have the subtest scores, you can calculate the GAI yourself (or Dottie can whip it up for you in a few seconds 8-) ) using the WISCIV techinical report IV which can be downloaded from the web.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks for the reply. No it doesnt have GAI.
    VCI 140
    Similarities 19
    Vocabulary 18
    Comprehension 13

Perceptual Resoning
    Block Design 17
    Picture Concepts 13
    Matrix Resoning 11
    PRI 123

Dottie #49378 06/14/09 08:35 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks Dottie. Wow you guys are awesome. I don't have the acheivement testing on hand but the teacher told me most of them are in superior range. He comes in high avarage when it has to do with fluency. Psycologist conclusion is due in a week.
    That was done to evaluate his strengths and weekness. Teacher's concerns was he interupts the class which I believe is more to get more information or add some of his knowledge. My concern was he is not being challenged enough in the class room that makes him frustrated. I asked for psycoeducational testing being done. Just few weeks ago she corrected some test paper for the class . There was a question she checked and marked wrong for him. He tried to explain her that this is right . What she said at that time " Do you have a bravery to argue with your teacher?" Then she asked him to get a calculator, and finally they found out that he was right. She thinks that he might have asperger. I know there are many overlapping qualities in asperger & gifted. To solve this puzzle I asked them to do the testing to get the answer. He is an adorable kid, loves parties, has several different area of interest.

maplepark #49396 06/15/09 09:18 AM
    maplepark, your son's profile is very similar to my DD's. I would say that she is verbally gifted smile

You will get more information when you talk to the psychologist. Did they do other testing besides the WISC?

Cathy A #49679 06/19/09 09:22 AM
    R
    R
    Aaaaaah! Just had a report from the EP who used WISC. Seems his raw inteeligence( and this is what we were told, we don't have the results yet) score him in the top percentile (99%). At the same time the teacher has just told us that he is performing below average in class, but that his head is buzzing with facts and information!

I feel like crying because I am so confused!!!!

Raddy #49680 06/19/09 09:55 AM
    M
    M
    Maplepark, will you please keep us posted about the psychologist's conclusion?

My daughter recently received nearly identical index scores, and we were not offered any accommodation by the school. They do not recognize this profile as gifted, nor do they see any cause for further assessment. I'm just curious where this story leads in other communities.

mmme #49686 06/19/09 10:39 AM
    mmme, my DD also has not received any accommodation for her diagnosed learning disability nor have they identified her as gifted.

Raddy #49707 06/19/09 08:52 PM
    Originally Posted by Raddy
    I feel like crying because I am so confused!!!!

Take a deep breath. When you get the results it may help with understanding. Have you asked for more details from the teacher about what they think is happening?

RobotMom #49710 06/19/09 10:45 PM
    R
    R
    Thanks Kerry. The teacher is as befuddled as we are. We should get the EP report next week. On the raw intelligence he completed all the 'tasks' up to the end of the Wisc - he couldn't go any further. If we ask the little'un why he doesn't perform he feigns tiredness and doesn't really give an answer. He is in one of the best schools in the area, but in his head he is so far ahead of all the others in the class - it just doesn't show on paper. He has a test on Monday for science, and adaptation will come up which he finds boring because he is interested in the genetic basis for adaptation, and the stuff about polar bears and camels just shut him down.

We have an egg safely placed in one corner of the kitchen surface; he saw an experiment on how you can extract your DNA from your mouth. He did this and used a pin to inject the DNA into the egg - he's waiting for it to hatch to see what comes out. This is way out, and way ahead of anything he will do in school before age 12.

He can talk about Shakespeare plays with you until you're blue in the face - I know nothing about Shakespeare. He makes fantastic sculptures from plasticine and modelling clay. Who is going to help this guy - he's out of the ball park but doesn't perform in class!

We just don't know what to do, and he's nearly 10 and things just don't get any better for him at school. I think he's just bored and doesn't see the point!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM