Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: maplepark WISC IV result - 06/15/09 02:00 AM
I got result for my son's IQ test
VCI 140
PRI 123
WMI 113
PSI 94
FSIQ 126
I'm wondering if he is considered gifted?
There is more than 40 points difference in verbal comprehension and processing speed, how did it effect his FSIQ?
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: WISC IV result - 06/15/09 02:17 AM
Hi Maplepark,
Does your report mention General Abilities Index (GAI?). That index is calculated from VCI and PRI when there is a large gap between those indices and WMI/PSI. If you have the subtest scores, you can calculate the GAI yourself (or Dottie can whip it up for you in a few seconds 8-) ) using the WISCIV techinical report IV which can be downloaded from the web.
Posted By: maplepark Re: WISC IV result - 06/15/09 02:28 AM
Thanks for the reply. No it doesnt have GAI.
VCI 140
Similarities 19
Vocabulary 18
Comprehension 13

Perceptual Resoning
Block Design 17
Picture Concepts 13
Matrix Resoning 11
PRI 123
Posted By: maplepark Re: WISC IV result - 06/15/09 03:35 AM
Thanks Dottie. Wow you guys are awesome. I don't have the acheivement testing on hand but the teacher told me most of them are in superior range. He comes in high avarage when it has to do with fluency. Psycologist conclusion is due in a week.
That was done to evaluate his strengths and weekness. Teacher's concerns was he interupts the class which I believe is more to get more information or add some of his knowledge. My concern was he is not being challenged enough in the class room that makes him frustrated. I asked for psycoeducational testing being done. Just few weeks ago she corrected some test paper for the class . There was a question she checked and marked wrong for him. He tried to explain her that this is right . What she said at that time " Do you have a bravery to argue with your teacher?" Then she asked him to get a calculator, and finally they found out that he was right. She thinks that he might have asperger. I know there are many overlapping qualities in asperger & gifted. To solve this puzzle I asked them to do the testing to get the answer. He is an adorable kid, loves parties, has several different area of interest.
Posted By: Cathy A Re: WISC IV result - 06/15/09 04:18 PM
maplepark, your son's profile is very similar to my DD's. I would say that she is verbally gifted smile

You will get more information when you talk to the psychologist. Did they do other testing besides the WISC?
Posted By: Raddy Re: WISC IV result - 06/19/09 04:22 PM
Aaaaaah! Just had a report from the EP who used WISC. Seems his raw inteeligence( and this is what we were told, we don't have the results yet) score him in the top percentile (99%). At the same time the teacher has just told us that he is performing below average in class, but that his head is buzzing with facts and information!

I feel like crying because I am so confused!!!!
Posted By: mmme Re: WISC IV result - 06/19/09 04:55 PM
Maplepark, will you please keep us posted about the psychologist's conclusion?

My daughter recently received nearly identical index scores, and we were not offered any accommodation by the school. They do not recognize this profile as gifted, nor do they see any cause for further assessment. I'm just curious where this story leads in other communities.
Posted By: Cathy A Re: WISC IV result - 06/19/09 05:39 PM
mmme, my DD also has not received any accommodation for her diagnosed learning disability nor have they identified her as gifted.
Posted By: RobotMom Re: WISC IV result - 06/20/09 03:52 AM
Originally Posted by Raddy
I feel like crying because I am so confused!!!!

Take a deep breath. When you get the results it may help with understanding. Have you asked for more details from the teacher about what they think is happening?
Posted By: Raddy Re: WISC IV result - 06/20/09 05:45 AM
Thanks Kerry. The teacher is as befuddled as we are. We should get the EP report next week. On the raw intelligence he completed all the 'tasks' up to the end of the Wisc - he couldn't go any further. If we ask the little'un why he doesn't perform he feigns tiredness and doesn't really give an answer. He is in one of the best schools in the area, but in his head he is so far ahead of all the others in the class - it just doesn't show on paper. He has a test on Monday for science, and adaptation will come up which he finds boring because he is interested in the genetic basis for adaptation, and the stuff about polar bears and camels just shut him down.

We have an egg safely placed in one corner of the kitchen surface; he saw an experiment on how you can extract your DNA from your mouth. He did this and used a pin to inject the DNA into the egg - he's waiting for it to hatch to see what comes out. This is way out, and way ahead of anything he will do in school before age 12.

He can talk about Shakespeare plays with you until you're blue in the face - I know nothing about Shakespeare. He makes fantastic sculptures from plasticine and modelling clay. Who is going to help this guy - he's out of the ball park but doesn't perform in class!

We just don't know what to do, and he's nearly 10 and things just don't get any better for him at school. I think he's just bored and doesn't see the point!
Posted By: maplepark Re: WISC IV result - 06/21/09 03:49 AM
Sorry guys for being away. I didn't get psycologist report yet just the scores of his WISC.
They also did WJ III. Here are the scores
Broad Reading 131
Letter Word Identification 133
Reading Fluency 127
Passage Comprehension 122
Broad Math 124
Calculations 107
Math Fluency 97
Applied Problems 142
Broad Written Language 132
spelling 147
Writing Fluency 113
WRITING sAMPLE 109
tOTAL Achievement 134

Test of writen Language - 3
Contexual Convention 14
Contexual Language 13
Story Construction 12
Spontaneous Writing Quotient 119

Does anybody know how to calculate age equivalent and grade equivalent? He is 10 years old & in 4th grade. Is this a 2E profile. They are suspecting aspergers. Teacher says that he doesn�t always take advantage of the curriculum differentiation and extensions offered by the general education teacher.But my understanding is its not challenging stuff what he doesn't like is more repititive kind of work as his speed is slow but he thrives on challenge. Special education teacher said he didn't do a single mistake whatever he did but his speed was slow . IEP is due on Tuesday. Please suggest what should I ask for.Thanks
Posted By: delilah67 Re: WISC IV result - 06/24/09 03:00 AM
1. Ask for extended time for testing to relieve any kind of test anxiety that he may experience.
2. Request group/individual social skills development.
3. Request a paraprofessional to assist with the development of organizational skills(if this appears to be an issue).
4. Have a communication log with your child's teachers as this will indicate any issues or concerns and any need to modify the IEP in the future.

Do not let anyone convince you that your child needs to be medicated.

Your child has a brilliant future ahead of him,praise him often for his academic achievements.

Take your child out often as this will help him with social skill deficits and behaviors. Correct him when he is behaving inappropriately.

At home, emulate positive social skills with the individuals in your home as he will learn valuable socials skills from people in his household first.

Your child has the tools for an excellent academic future despite being diagnosed with aspergers. He just learns differently.
Posted By: maplepark Re: WISC IV result - 06/25/09 03:15 AM
Thanks Dottie.What an awesome work you have done.My son is 10 years 1 month old. We had a meeting yesterday. They were not ready to listen a single word about gifted. Infact they did put him on IEP as having asperger.
The weekly spelling test words were like ,'against', 'and', have, 'between' no wonder he was frustrated & acting out sometimes.
In math assesment special ed teacher said he did all the problems exactly right but with very slow & steady pace. A scrap paper was given for applied math problems but he didn't use any.
Posted By: maplepark Re: WISC IV result Update - 01/05/10 03:31 PM
Hi everyone,
So we had an IEP in June they decided to help him with social skills and some organization skills. As he was moving to a new school I signed the IEP papers with reluctance because I knew some of the things were happening just because he was not challenged enough.
Well at our first term report teachers were surprized to know is this the same kid's IEP and we decided on IEP/program review. Well, a lot of the problems were automatically disappeared when he is offered acceleration in maths ( thats another story him saying that 6 grade math is still too easy )
The only problem he is having now is he really doesn't want to write more. His grades in science are dropping just because he didn't write the answer in detail. What shoul I ask for at the coming IEP review.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum