Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 269 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    M
    M
    Yes, it would be very interesting to see how all our kids "do school" this coming year!

My son met the GT teachers the other day for his math assessment, and lets just say he really "wowed" them. Talked briefly with one of the GT teachers afterward, and she really wasn't sure where she would place him (but I have a feeling we have another "group of one" with this subject, too - lol).

We're extremely lucky here, because although the school has admittedly never seen anyone like DS, they are really going to try hard to give him an academic challenge. A plus is that the GT teachers definitely get it (in terms of the academic level that my son is at). We'll see how everything plays out. I'll meet with them just prior to the start of school next year to discuss the program that they have come up with for DS. DH's hope is that it will keep him interested for at least a few weeks, and then we'll reassess.... and maybe by then he'll be a first grader - lol. And hopefully the behavior problems will improve....

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Originally Posted by m2gts
    My son met the GT teachers the other day for his math assessment, and lets just say he really "wowed" them. Talked briefly with one of the GT teachers afterward, and she really wasn't sure where she would place him (but I have a feeling we have another "group of one" with this subject, too - lol).

LOL, groups of one still make me laugh, I see DS's future as many groups of ones. His latest math interest is factors and double digit multiplication and long division. It amazes me how he suddenly learned about factors (from that show cyberchase on TV) and then got it right away and was suddenly able to give all the factors of numbers like 68. That is so crazy to me. I don't imagine they will have a group for him in the first grade class that would be a good fit.

That's great that you are at a school that seems to get him and is going to try to challenge him. I think we have a school like that as well. I am hopeful and looking forward to seeing how it goes in the fall.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM