Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 136 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    B
    Ben Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    What do the admission scores that meet the criteria mean? As in, what LOG? I was wondering because they seem awfully low for an 8th grader on the ACT. You need: 28 English, 26 Math, 30 Reading, 26 science, 26 composite (at least 3 of 5 are needed to be met). But I got a 33 English, 34 Math, 30 Reading, 34 Science, and 33 composite. What LOG would I be, by definitions?

N
    N
    Umm, "Very" would be my estimation--forget the definitions. smile I know only one person in my high school who had scores like that, and he was of the off-the-charts variety of gifted. He's an MIT professor now. I know that doesn't answer your question regarding LOG definitions, but those are an odd collection in themselves.

V
    V
    College admission test scores aren't required for admission to the Academy. But for those who do opt to submit them, ACT/SAT test scores are only one piece of the admissions picture, and I believe the admissions team doesn't use them to determine LOG. Nor should they, as that's not what either the SAT or the ACT are designed to test. The ACT, in particular, measures academic achievement, not intelligence or giftedness. Full scale IQ results would probably be more appropriate for something like that and give you a better idea of LOG. You should certainly be proud of you high test scores, though! Well done!

Otoh, there is an SAT:Iq conversion chart floating around on the web (should be taken with a grain of salt!) I have read, and I think it is reasonable, that it is impossible to achieve more than one is capable of (aka higher than your innate potential), so you could think of your act scores as a minimum statement of your potential.

There might be a similar one for act scores, but I could not find one, upon briefly googling.

http://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/GREIQ.aspx

V
    V
    I am familiar with the correlation charts that are floating around out there, but thought that they were only valid for calculating IQ from college admission test scores that are at least 15 years old or so. I believe that once the SAT was re-centered in 1995, it was no longer possible to use it as an effective measure of IQ (and therefore is no longer an appropriate tool for determining LOG). I know that Mensa doesn't accept SAT/ACT scores from after '95 for admission purposes, for that very reason. The new version of these tests just don't lend themselves to IQ correlation.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent