Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 262 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    inky #38445 02/18/09 11:40 AM
    Originally Posted by inky
    The fact that little change in status and growth was noted between the 2005 study and the current study is not unexpected, since the sample sizes in each study are so large that a major change in education would be needed to affect the norms substantially. On the other hand, individual schools and
    districts show remarkable differences in how their students grow. While this is a fascinating story, it is one for another time.

This was the last sentence of the report. I'd love to know more about this story! wink

They mean "population size" not "sample size."

As far as education goes, they really need to follow individual kids and not just the districts to understand how education is doing. Then you can correct for both student and district effects.

Austin #38496 02/19/09 07:49 AM
    Surely that's a mistake related to the changes in this site, no?

Kriston
    Kriston #38626 02/19/09 09:18 PM
    I
    inky Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    I wonder... views of ultimate brag thread: 3,418,331 confused

inky #38627 02/19/09 09:20 PM
    That might be valid. It's a LOT of pages! I've probably looked at it 1000 times myself!

Kriston
    Kriston #48224 05/24/09 08:31 PM
    I
    inky Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Adding to the MAP test info. I was looking for information about test ceiling for the primary test. Couldn't find it but came across this for the secondary test.

http://www.nwea.org/support/details.aspx?content=532
    Scale Variance by Subject
    Why do RIT scales vary from subject to subject (e.g. the mathematics RIT scale goes higher than other subject areas)? A ceiling effect exists when an assessment does not have sufficient range to accurately measure students at the highest performance levels. It has nothing to do with the actual numbers attached to the scale and everything to do with the position of students on it. For example, in reading, the RIT scale measures with relative accuracy up to about 245. This represents the 93rd percentile at grade 10, and the 95th percentile at grade 8. If a student scores above we know that student performed high but may not be able to accurately assess how high they performed. Relative to other tests, therefore, there is very little true ceiling effect in this assessment. Even most high performing 10th graders receive a technically accurate measure of their skill.

Dottie #48237 05/25/09 07:01 AM
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    Okay...I'm confused! "Even most high performing 10th graders recieve a technically accurate measure of their skill", when they preceed that statement by saying the ceiling is only at about the 93rd percentile? confused I know it's early, but does that make sense?
    I'd read it this way: "most" means more than 50%, so if "high performing" means, say, above the 75th percentile, then of the high performing 10th graders, the fraction who receive a technically accurate measure, i.e. do not hit the ceiling, is (93-75)/(100-75), which is greater than 50%, i.e., most! It all rests on what the definition of "high performing" is...

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    ColinsMum #48240 05/25/09 07:48 AM
    I
    inky Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    I had the same question as Dottie when I read it and came up with an explanation similar to ColinsMum's. The main takeaway is that when a child scores around 245 in reading on the secondary test, that should be considered their lowest possible score. Their actual score could be a little or a lot higher, but it's impossible to know without using a different test.

I wonder what the math RIT ceiling for the secondary test is? 265??

I think there's a similar effect with the primary test somewhere around the 210 RIT level.

Here's another interesting post about the NWEA MAP.
    http://kitchentablemath.blogspot.com/search?q=nwea

The probability density graph is interesting as the bell curve flattens and standard deviations get wider as children move up in grade level.

When I looked at the SD on the national data, they seem to increase every year up to 8th grade then decrease. I wonder if this is due to the test ceiling on the upper end of the curve?

Dottie #48326 05/26/09 01:09 PM
    I
    inky Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    If an expert is someone who brings confusion to simplicity, then I must qualify wink

This added to my confusion:

http://www.nwea.org/support/details.aspx?content=914

It seems there are three levels of MAP testing and not two like I thought:
    MAP for Primary Grades (K&1)
    Standard MAP for grades 2-5
    Standard MAP for grades 6+

So this would mean there are three different test ceilings that could come into play. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any guidance about switching a child who's performing near the ceiling to a higher level test. The guidance seems to be just based on grade (see page 6). frown
    http://www.bransonschoolonline.com/filestore/branson_parentlettertesting.pdf

inky #48354 05/26/09 10:07 PM
    C
    clc Offline
    C
    me too, but it seems there is a Grade for 2-5th garders? 6th and up?...thats how it comes across. Where is the teacher in all this? The Teacher should send an explaination...

clc #48516 05/29/09 10:58 AM
    I
    inky Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    The teacher's been in the loop but gets information from administrators who have given out some bad data in the past. I asked if DD7 could take the secondary test but was told it's past the test window and probably wouldn't have any effect on her score. I came across this today which seems to support my 210 primary MAP ceiling theory:
    MAP Primary Ceiling

Choosing Appropriate Test

* Refer to prior data gathered on the student
    * Discuss with prior teacher
    * Pre-requisite test until the student has attained all foundational skills
    * Skills test until the student has attained all foundational skills
    * MAP for Primary Grades until they obtain a RIT score of 210 or no longer need the audio support

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM