Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 372 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    deleting personal information

Last edited by mom2sofia; 07/31/15 03:19 PM.
    C
    C
    Welcome, and what a lovely post! IKWYM about feeling it's bragging, but I think it's OK here :-) Sounds as though things are going well for your daughter at her new school? No under-challenge problems? At least if any turn up, it sounds as though you have this psychologist on your side to testify that she's exceptional!

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    I
    I

Unfortunately, state law (which we will fight citing the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act ) dictates that we can�t get a copy of her exact IQ test score. The psych did say that we will receive in the mail copies of all of the scores/information on the academic and IQ tests that they can legally give us.

Should be interesting to see what they give you and if you'll need to use FERPA or not.

Most importantly though, I was just beaming when all three people that we met with told us what a lovely person my girl is��really, she just the sweetest, most sensitive, loving child I�ve ever known. Of course, I am pretty biased!
    Love this! Thanks for sharing such a heart warming story.

T
    Tiz Offline
    T
    Hi Dianna and welcome! I enjoyed reading your post and your daughter sounds like a lovely girl. I have two sons, DS7 and DS4.5 and I have found this forum such a great place to get support, ask other people's opinions etc.

Welcome smile

F
    F
    Welcome and thanks for posting!
    Everyone needs a safe place to brag, and this is it!
    Congrats on your good scores!

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Awww.... thank you guys SO much for the warm welcome. It really is so comforting to be able to freely post my thoughts without second-guessing myself on whether I am "bragging." I've kicked myself a couple of times since Tuesday, wondering if in my over eagerness to share the news, I may have sounded way too boastful to some friends. It's just been so hard because I'm so happy for the doors this can open for my girl.

Unfortunately, there is no organization among parents of gifted children in my parish (county). Though, the parent group of our bordering parish seems very active, so I have been able to get info from their site and hope to attend one of their meetings. I also registered and paid the fee for the state parent group on Tuesday, but have yet to even get a receipt for my payment.

The area that I live in is one of the fastest growing and highest scoring in the state. Unfortunately, my preliminary research shows that it has been criticized during state evaluations because it invests very little into the gifted program.

My daughter�s school is undergoing a major transition now, as the primary and middle schools split. This week at the first PTA meeting for the new primary school, a mom questioned the new principal about the status of the TAG program. The principal pretty much said that it is in limbo, and there is no plan yet in place for how it will operate because the current TAG teacher will have to split her time between both schools and may even just visit students in their individual classrooms. Wouldn't it be much more enriching for the gifted children to be together?

I spoke to that mom who questioned the principal after the meeting was over, and she said that she had to BATTLE the school system for three years to get services for her artistically talented daughter. To me, this is ridiculous, especially since state law states that talented and gifted children MUST receive services because they fall under special education.

Inky--- Can you direct me to any resources for researching whether we have the right to get a copy of my daughter's full IQ and academic scores? The "team" all concurred that it was ridiculous that parents aren't given the scores. I left a message with the Family Compliance Office, hoping that someone will return my call and just let me know if the school system is legally obligated to release them.

I just started researching FERPA, and I believe it states that you can't get a copy of the records for the purpose of contesting a special education evaluation. Hopefully, this doesn't apply to us because I am not contesting anything. Gosh, it just seems absurd that they don't automatically release the scores, just absurd. And, as a stay-at-home mom and former paralegal who�s married to an attorney, I will pursue any avenue to get a copy of my girl�s scores!

Oh Geez, sorry I blabbed so! Thanks again, so much for the warm welcome.

E
    E
    Your post brought tears to my eyes. It is so lovely to share in others' happiness--and you can do so here!

M
    OP Offline
    M
    You guys ROCK!!!!! I'm so glad I found my way here!!!!!!

F
    F
    The psych did say that we will receive in the mail copies of all of the scores/information on the academic and IQ tests that they can legally give us.

I'd hang back a little and see what information they do give you, before you start launching your legal campaign.
    Do you know what IQ test she was given?
    I am quite confused as to why they can't give you the full info you are requesting? What logic was that law based on?

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by Floridama
    [quote] What logic was that law based on?

Thanks SO much for your advice. I definitely agree that I should hold of on sending the letter until we see exactly which records they will release. Though I have already prepared it smile smile smile. I am having a really tough time trying to find the state law they use to justify their position of not releasing the scores. The psych and social worker both inferred that they thought that the law was ridiculous too and the psych stressed that we would be able to figure out her actual IQ score by the information we receive. I fogot which test she was given, but I'm pretty sure it was either the Stanford Binet or WISC. Of course, as soon as we left the meeting, I thought of a thousand questions I should have asked.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM