Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 106 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Ha!

On March 22nd, 2003, DS, now 5, was conceived. I knew moments after the deed that I was pregnant, and had a slightly positive test a week and a half later... and a full blown YOU ARE HAVING A BABY test a week after that. I am starting with that because from that day, I have always had an amazing connection with DS. He was our little surprise, as having a child was not on the agenda. And he continues to surprise us to this day.

In December, he was born with wide open eyes and a sturdy head (which freaked me out b/c I was always told newborns need so much head support, etc...). A few weeks later, he rolled over.

Before age one, he had a real vocabulary, could sing and dance all the Wiggles songs, knew his alphabet (the letters, not the song), colors, shapes, animals and animal sounds. He was also the only 1 year old that I have ever seen eat his first birthday cake with a fork. He was fascinated with books and learning shows far beyond his age and though he couldn't read, he would stare at the words and pictures so intensely. And while he didn't stay in the lines, he loved to color, paint & drew pictures of real things. This is also the time he stopped napping on a regular basis.

At 18 months, we took him out of his daycare and put him in private care. He was the only baby, and the lady that watched him had three older kids, her youngest 2 years older than DS was. Everyday I'd here "you know that's not normal" or "you know he is extremely bright for his age", but still I was in denial.

At 22 months old, his baby sister was born. She was the newborn I had always heard about. When she didn't roll over so early or eat cereal as early or talk as early, etc, I began to wonder if there was something wrong with her.

I remember turning DS's tricycle over when he was about 2 to show him how to pedal with his arms (that way it didn't move, just the wheel), and after turning it back over, he got on it and drove off. And thinkin' back, he's always been that kind of kid that only had to be shown once. He had a Leapster before the recommended age and could play the games that DD3 is still not really able to figure out (physically). He never asked "why", but he has ALWAYS been curious. And when he asks a question, he always repeats it back in his own words to make sure he understands it.

At about 2.5, he was very into reading us the Brown Bear books (panda bear, polar bear, etc). Only, we assumed he memorized them. Right before he turned three, he picked up a new book that we had never read and read every single word. I was absolutely stunned. At that point, I begin reflecting back on all the things that he did accomplish way earlier than his sister and began to put the puzzle pieces together. My DS is "special" (still in Gifted denial).

At age 4, we began having behavior problems in school, and I realized it was because he was so far advanced than most of his peers, and he was flat out bored. At this time he was back in a daycare setting, and we moved him to a new school. He had a great teacher that really understood how to deal with him. Challenge him, keep him engaged, and he will be the best behaved kid ever. Allow him to be completely bored, and he will act up.

I called every school, the school board, etc to try to get him into kindergarten for this school year and no one would budge. "if he was born in September" would be their response (we have a sept 1 bday rule). Or, "we don't let anyone in per the state's rules".

So, I've let it ride at this point. Unsure if he was just advanced in reading, and knowing he's a boy, I figured I would just see how pre-K went and how the beginning of Kindergarten went. Besides, it's not like he's a math WHIZ (though now he does simple multiplication WHEN I can get him to work with me... he works better for other "teachers". I'm mom, so it's not my "job" to him). Though he is into science and motor sports (and his memory is CRAZY good).

But after finding the K assessment test to get into 1st grade several months back, I'm back to being quietly proactive to at least make sure he is challenged once he enters K in August. They don't start simple addition until the end of the year, and they don't expect them to read anywhere near his current level until 2nd or 3rd grade (if not later). *sigh*

We've decided to hold off testing for now, but to revisit it during the school year if needed. We want him to feel comfortable in a new school setting, etc... he's my shy kid, so I don't want to just throw him into the pot. I know he's probably not profoundly gifted, but I believe he is at least moderately gifted. In Dr. Ruf's levels, he is definitely a 3 (gifted denial on my part?), if not a 4, with like 2 or 3 traits of 5 (I'm a 2 or 3 myself). http://www.educationaloptions.com/resources/resources_how_smart.php People always ask what *I* did, and I respond with "Nothing. If I did, I'd be a millionaire right now, or at least on late night infomercials."

The most frustrating thing for me is if I mention his abilities, I get a denial response from the other person... as if it's just not possible. As if he might be able to read at a 3rd or 4th grade level or do math at a 1st or 2nd grade level, but he doesn't actually comprehend what he's doing or know what to do when he gets "stuck" on something. And that there is NO way that his intelligence should overule the dang birthday rule OR be the reason he is appropriately placed grade wise for his education.

The cool thing through all of this though is I have learned SO much about myself and all the things that have gone wrong with MY education and personal life (like why I had such a huge issue with my self-esteem, common in gifted girls who don't get put on the right educational path). And, my connection with that baby that was conceived on March 22nd, 2003 is absolutely amazing.

~Dani
    Mom to DS5 & DD3 smile

You have been here longer than I have and posted more, but I just wanted to acknowledge your post and say "welcome" to you and DS5 and DD3. I nodded while I read your story, it is so familiar. When you have the opportunity, go ahead and test, it has been really helpful for us to have numbers when we have conversations with teachers and administrators.

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    aww, thanks. I love your sig by the way - geriatric dog, huh? smile we have 2 dogs, one being the overzealous baby and the other is decrepit! smile

Dani,

Thanks for the introduction. I love reading the background on the DCs. And as for the Ruf's levels ... I was completely wrapped up in them when I first read the book but not so much now. We really don't know where to place my DD on the levels but know she is profoundly gifted. So does it make her a level 4 or 5? LOL Even when you get them tested it doesn't align to the levels. Really comes down to their motivation in general and sometimes their motivation of a task that elevates them to level 5. Regardless of what level he is at he sounds highly gifted. And I understand your frustration with early entrance to school. Does your state allow them to accelerate once in school? For instance, he could be moved to 1st grade once in kindergarten?

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Supposedly they don't, but I'm sure it's not like it's never been done.

C
    C
    Hi JJsMom,
    Thanks for posting that, I enjoyed reading it. Our DSs sound fairly alike - mine, fortunately for him, is a couple of months older and so could start school this year, but I've just made a long "what next?" post... good luck to you in finding a path for your children!

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    F
    F
    On a positive not for K
    We had a great K teacher. In fact she was the one who realized that my child was gifted. We were lucky in the fact that she also had 3 other gifted kids in her class, what are the odds of that! Our teacher was great at challenging our kids at their level. She had some kids learing to write their names and ABC while she was prompting our kids to write paragraphs some kids were practicing addition while other were doing multiplication. My DD loved K, she learned new songs, did cool crafts, and developed confidence. First was not quite as good because it was more structured and harder for the teacher deviate from the curric.
    I think the teacher can make all the difference. I would check out the local school and sit in on some classes. You may find a great teacher who is able to multitask.
    Thanks for your post and please keep us updated as many of us still have pre-schoolers we are worried about.

O
    O
    Hello, Great to read the story...WOW what a super guy. Ya know when my DD3 was born I thought I could teach her everything and realized she did almost everything on her own and in her own time. Don't sweat the issues and realize he will do perfect. My sister is a GT teacher, get to know the school and the GT program they really need help from the parents to push the school to do more and test more. Kinda sad the GT programs usually get small funding and the slow learners have everything. They need advocates because the schools LISTEN to parents and not teachers. Plus, try home schooling for now and when he goes to school I'm sure he'll test out of a couple grades. Being a boy sometimes they get bullied but my sister has told me there is no evidence that skipping grades does anything to the child as far as getting along. Sounds like he could graduate college by 16!!!! Hey, go for it, I hated school and if my DD3 can go through faster she will or I'll home school!! Good luck and keep everyone informed!!!

Melissa Hughes
    J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    I don't have the option of home schooling, and I've already "signed up" to volunteer for the school. I have no worries about him not being successful now that *I* recognize he's gifted. So if nothing else, he's got his parents out of gifted denial (or at least we understand that he is, just maybe in denial about how gifted) before school starts for him. smile

K
    K
    Welcome! I enjoyed reading your story. And the end of GT denial is definitely a good thing in terms of finding a good school fit for your son. Good luck! You're in for a wild ride! I think he's definitely past a Ruf left 3 from what you described there. Our kindergarten experience was actually really positive as well. We had a very dynamic teacher who did a lot of personalized and open ended activities. 1st was not so good though. We are homeschooling now. Which is something we never really imagined happening.

One thing I was going to say, is since you have such a crazy GT son, you might consider at some point have your daughter assessed as well. No hurry on that as long as your kids are happy and thriving. I do think it's better to wait until at least 6 if you can?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM