Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 359 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Another family of late teethers here as well. All three of my children didn't get teeth until around thei 1st birthday day. DS6 lost his first tooth on his 6th birthday in Dec this year. He just lost another one last week. I assume it's going to be a looong process.

Crisc
    DS6 (DYS) is on the late end of normal. He too only lost 2 teeth and still doesn't have his 6 year old molars.

DS4 on the other has to be a genius. He was born with 2 teeth wink That said, the rest of his teeth came on the late end of normal as well.

LMom
    E
    E
    LOL! We have always been grateful for the fact that DS didn't get his first teeth until he was about 14 months old. He had learned to run, then walk before he had teeth, so we had fewer bloody lips from falls. He is also on the late end for losing his baby teeth. He was 8 before he lost his first tooth and at 10 still has a couple front baby teeth.

However, I'll add in another Old Wise Tale. Our dentist told us that the later kids get their teeth and the longer they keep their baby teeth,the healthier their adult teeth will be. Not sure if there is any truth to this one or not, I think it is more a matter of genetics.

P
    P
    Early teething family here. DS had teeth at 4 mos & DH had teeth at two weeks. DD was more like 5 months & that is late in my in-laws family. My DS has cousins his same age that he "blows out of the water" intellectually speaking. (and that is according to there mutual grandmother) They all teethed early too. Definitely not related issues. smile

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by LMom
    DS6 (DYS) is on the late end of normal. He too only lost 2 teeth and still doesn't have his 6 year old molars.

DS4 on the other has to be a genius. He was born with 2 teeth wink That said, the rest of his teeth came on the late end of normal as well.

Thank you LMom ... I love your response... and he will prove that little statement true. LOL I can see it later on ... oh our little genius ... yes we had confirmation the day he was born since he had two teeth.

K
    K
    Here's another old wives' tale, not about teeth though. A child who doesn't crawl (who just gets up and walks - I guess there are such children) will never learn to read. The longer they crawl before they walk, the better reader they will be.

Originally Posted by keet
    Here's another old wives' tale, not about teeth though. A child who doesn't crawl (who just gets up and walks - I guess there are such children) will never learn to read. The longer they crawl before they walk, the better reader they will be.

I love that one too wink DS6 never crawled. He started reading chapter books at the age of 3 smile DS4 did crawl and started reading earlier than DS6 though.

Crawling is supposed to increase development of the parts of brain used for reading.

I am afraid our family just doesn't fit the norms wink Not even with teeth and crawling. At least the kids like pasta and cookies. That sounds pretty normal, doesn't it?

LMom
    Shall we go on to discuss head size? My friend has children with very large round craniums. DH secretly refers to them as the Charlie Brown heads. They're bright kids, but not DYS bright...

Lots of these old wives tales relate to intelligence. People have always searched for a way to justify both high and lows.

N
    N
    Oh - re: old wise tale vs old wives tale. For years, in school and then in the workforce, i thought C-change was sea-change. I thought it was like when the waves went up and down....

And you were right! What on earth is a C-change? Sea-change goes back at least to Shakespeare. smile

As for teeth, DS6 got his first two teeth at 4 months, and two more at 4.5 months, and had everything by the time he was 1. DD(almost 3) was pretty average, I think.

Originally Posted by Nautigal
    Oh - re: old wise tale vs old wives tale. For years, in school and then in the workforce, i thought C-change was sea-change. I thought it was like when the waves went up and down....

And you were right! What on earth is a C-change? Sea-change goes back at least to Shakespeare. smile

ugh - so someone gave me the incorrect answer when i gathered up the courage to finally ask about it at the big company i worked for, when it was the buzzword of choice for a while. (oh well, i guess my point was that sometimes a person hears something in a different way; nothing to do with teething.) smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM