Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    M
    M
    I wonder if something that goes with their state GLCE's would suffice as well? Many publishers list state correlations on their sites that you can print. I don't know anything about your requirements so I'm just guessing here...but they are also listed free.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    There's also this:

http://www.worldbook.com/wb/Students?curriculum

It's free and presumably national rather than reflecting local priorities or individual curriculum editors' priorities which can sometimes be a bit...eccentric.

I do like to see a number of lists like these so that what I wind up teaching is more comprehensive and transportable. I like to be sure we have covered our bases!

Kriston
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    This has been great. I think I've files the affadavit and all of that correctly. The issue that I'm having is understanding state "standards" (snicker) and testing. I would like to have measurable proof of his progress.

I had my first official day today and it went so well. I love it already. I'm starting small.

25 minutes of math and 20 minutes on a physical science/art combination project. I can't help it if the boy is fast. LOL! I'd like to get throught first grade math in the next two months so that he can slide into second grade next year.

M
    M
    I don't know what state you are in, here in Michigan you can go to the mi.gov/mde, which is the department of education website and in GLCE's, which are our "standards", also you can print the parent guide that goes along with it.

I would read your homeschool law carefully. Here you are allowed to take MEAP testing with whatever public school you would have been assigned. But, the schools don't necessarily know that, and in our case had to be directed to the state website information.

If there isn't a state mandate for testing and they don't allow you to participate in any testing you can also have yearly testing done privately. We have MEAP here but it really doesn't tell you much so we are having our DD9 take the ITBS through a testing company.

It's amazing how fast they can be sometimes. Really makes you think about all that time they spend in a public classroom...

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    Melmichigan...I had my DS take the ITBS. One thing I would recommend, is to look over the test once DC is finished. A friend did that and it was so helpful. In my case, a teacher-friend proctored the test and had to leave as soon as he was done so I didn't get a chance to look at it. Fortunately she did so I have an idea of what he missed and why but otherwise the scores don't tell you much of anything. FOr ex: for spelling, you can miss one and you're at 97th%, miss another one and you're at 92nd% (those numbers are close but going from memory) whereas science, you miss 1 and you're at 99th and miss 2 and you're at 98th%. I know this b/c my son took it w/ another boy and his mom and I compared results lol. So for ex: if DC scores 90% in computation, you don't know if problem is add, sub, multi, or div. And from what i saw in the test prep book, there are some STUPID questions that even 3 adults weren't sure of the answer lol.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM