Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #46168 04/30/09 01:02 PM
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    I know. It's hard to believe. It must not really have been true AD/HD although he clearly fit the criteria for the hyperactive-impulsive type. He was diagnosed with chronic motor tics and AD/HD this year at 6 yo. Words can't describe the level of hyperactivity we are talking about. We put him on an extremely low dose of hypertension medication (since stims are contraindicated for tics) and that stopped his tics and calmed his aggression and impulses. We put him on fish oil which improved his mood and calmed a lot of his hyperactivity as well.

Then, we did an WISC and I learned about working memory. (His is average, but the psych felt that it was holding him back intellectually and academically.) The relationship between working memory and AD/HD is a popular field of study right now. I worked with him at home and was unconvinced that working memory was the root of his problem.

Based on what I learned HERE, I bought The Mislabeled Child by the Eides. I concluded that, although he met the criteria for AD/HD, he didn't have what they called "a primary attention problem." This is where the gifted thing comes in. I noticed that he had far fewer issues when he's intellectually challenged. Since so many dysfunctions result in AD/HD symptoms, I honestly don't even know what AD/HD is anymore! Anyway, I haven't finished all of the chapters yet, but I decided that he actually met all of the criteria for Sensory Processing Disorder and SPD is a MUCH more accurate description of what's going on with him as opposed to AD/HD. Sadly, as I'm sure everyone knows, SPD isn't in the DSM IV which means that there is no insurance coverage for treatment (which usually comes in the form of OT). Anyway, the Eides state that some psychs believe SPD is on the autism spectrum. That one knocked me out for a couple of days. I alternated between panic and joy for finding a new treatment direction. But, I had to admit that SPD rang true. So, operating on the premise that autism treatments will help SPD symptoms and convinced that SPD symptoms were the root of his AD/HD behaviors, I looked up treatments for autism.

What I learned was that many kids who are dx autism spectrum (40-something %) benefit from probiotics/acidopholus. Since my doctor had recommended one for me months ago to counteract antibiotics that I was taking, I was suddenly able to digest milk and all this other stuff. So, I figured that, since the probiotics didn't hurt me, I'd give them a shot with DS since most of the autism sites suggest it. Oh my goodness, the next day, I saw a difference. It has been about ten days now and he's behaving like a completely normal child. We just sat down for lessons for about an hour and he really enjoyed it, didn't bounce around, fidget, slap his head, tic, nothing. I am stunned.

Obviously, I have a lot of learning to do since I've just stumbled across all of this. I think I'm going to try a leaky gut diet (specific carb diet, body ecology or haas) for the whole family and see what happens next. I can't wait to take him off medication! I actually believe that's in our near future. I don't know if I can answer any questions for anyone, though. I honestly don't know the first thing about autism and I have lost confidence in my understanding of AD/HD and tics, as well.

I know I probably sound like a troll now, but I just wanted to share what's going on. Happy days!

M
    M
    I don't think it is "trollish" to have found something that works for your child and sharing it. Every child is different and like you mentioned ADD/ADHD and autism have a very large "range". I'm glad you found something that works for your child.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    I don't think Autism is a single disease. I think of Autism as a set of symptoms which may arise from different causes. I think it could be several starting points which have a common endpoint in the brain. It depends on how you define autism on whether or not a person where dietary changes improves the condition. If you define it as a set of symptoms, not matter the cause, then it's ASD.

I find this fascinating and I'm happy that you're finding something that works!

This reminds me of the PANDAS where excess of antibodies to strep causes neurological pathology.

Last edited by Dazed&Confuzed; 04/30/09 01:39 PM.
    H
    H
    That's awesome giftedticcyhyper! I pm'd you.

Last edited by hkc75; 04/30/09 01:57 PM.
    B
    B
    Funny you should mention PANDAS, Dazed, because I was just about to chime in... yes this is very interesting.

For the past few months I struggled to find a probiotic that my son would take. He refused acidopholus, probiotic yogurt, and Kefir, and I finally found a pill-form probiotic that tastes just like his vitamins, so he's been taking it for a few weeks.

I thought I was just giving this to him to counteract the antibiotics he's been on for months.

BUT-- it so happens that for the past few weeks I have noticed his behavior gradually improving for the first time in months... as if a black cloud has lifted off our house.

So thanks for posting this, giftedtichyper, something more to consider! I never would have given the probiotics that much credit.

This is all very, very interesting.

Bronxmom - At one point during the pro-biotics initiation was your DS's tonsils/adenoids removed?

B
    B
    Here's the chronology:

On strong antibiotics since early December for chronic strep
    Tonsils and adenoids removed 5 weeks ago.
    Three weeks ago, forced to switch to a lighter antibiotic.
    Two weeks ago, finally found a probiotic he would take every day.

One week ago: a black cloud lifted off our house.

Of course, I have no idea at this point what the cause/effect really is...I am just learning to be attuned to what works.

He also takes ibuprofin every day, because apparently, his brain is inflamed.

Sorry to hijack your post, gth! But this body-behavior stuff is very interesting, especially since doctors seem incapable of seeing it!

B
    B
    giftedtichyper, I just sent you a pm

M
    M
    Do you mind passing along the probiotic you are giving him? I was going to look into one for my DS. My sister's son has ADHD, and he is also on a probiotic. The Omega3 fish oil is already helping my DS, I think (2 wks now). Thanks

G
    OP Offline
    G
    I don't mind but I'm not a doctor, just so everyone knows and I'm still a complete novice at this. I got pointed toward this particular brand by the lady at Whole Foods in the vitamin section. It has to be refrigerated. It's a loose powder and I mix it with water and basically tell him to act like a man. Awful, I know. It tastes sort of like weak milk, actually. We are experimenting with different juices to mix it with, now.

Ethical Nutrients

This is the fish oil that DS loves. He takes a ridiculous amount of it because the recommended dosage was like a drop in the bucket. Fish oil helps with inflammation.

Nordic Naturals

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations