I know. It's hard to believe. It must not really have been true AD/HD although he clearly fit the criteria for the hyperactive-impulsive type. He was diagnosed with chronic motor tics and AD/HD this year at 6 yo. Words can't describe the level of hyperactivity we are talking about. We put him on an extremely low dose of hypertension medication (since stims are contraindicated for tics) and that stopped his tics and calmed his aggression and impulses. We put him on fish oil which improved his mood and calmed a lot of his hyperactivity as well.

Then, we did an WISC and I learned about working memory. (His is average, but the psych felt that it was holding him back intellectually and academically.) The relationship between working memory and AD/HD is a popular field of study right now. I worked with him at home and was unconvinced that working memory was the root of his problem.

Based on what I learned HERE, I bought The Mislabeled Child by the Eides. I concluded that, although he met the criteria for AD/HD, he didn't have what they called "a primary attention problem." This is where the gifted thing comes in. I noticed that he had far fewer issues when he's intellectually challenged. Since so many dysfunctions result in AD/HD symptoms, I honestly don't even know what AD/HD is anymore! Anyway, I haven't finished all of the chapters yet, but I decided that he actually met all of the criteria for Sensory Processing Disorder and SPD is a MUCH more accurate description of what's going on with him as opposed to AD/HD. Sadly, as I'm sure everyone knows, SPD isn't in the DSM IV which means that there is no insurance coverage for treatment (which usually comes in the form of OT). Anyway, the Eides state that some psychs believe SPD is on the autism spectrum. That one knocked me out for a couple of days. I alternated between panic and joy for finding a new treatment direction. But, I had to admit that SPD rang true. So, operating on the premise that autism treatments will help SPD symptoms and convinced that SPD symptoms were the root of his AD/HD behaviors, I looked up treatments for autism.

What I learned was that many kids who are dx autism spectrum (40-something %) benefit from probiotics/acidopholus. Since my doctor had recommended one for me months ago to counteract antibiotics that I was taking, I was suddenly able to digest milk and all this other stuff. So, I figured that, since the probiotics didn't hurt me, I'd give them a shot with DS since most of the autism sites suggest it. Oh my goodness, the next day, I saw a difference. It has been about ten days now and he's behaving like a completely normal child. We just sat down for lessons for about an hour and he really enjoyed it, didn't bounce around, fidget, slap his head, tic, nothing. I am stunned.

Obviously, I have a lot of learning to do since I've just stumbled across all of this. I think I'm going to try a leaky gut diet (specific carb diet, body ecology or haas) for the whole family and see what happens next. I can't wait to take him off medication! I actually believe that's in our near future. I don't know if I can answer any questions for anyone, though. I honestly don't know the first thing about autism and I have lost confidence in my understanding of AD/HD and tics, as well.

I know I probably sound like a troll now, but I just wanted to share what's going on. Happy days!