Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 401 guests, and 45 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    R
    Raddy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    9 year old is just starting to learn French. Any recommended audio/video resources recommendations please?

Sorry, I don't have suggestions. However, this reminds me of my daughter's experiences. She took French in Preschool. In our first neighborhood, where my daughter went for preschool through fifth, French was the second most spoken first language in our neighborhood (in Austin of all places) so this was offered in her Prekinder class and they sang many songs in French.
    Anyway, we had a French night (Tuesdays) at dinner for many years. My daughter and I would pick out a different cheese to try (not always French) and we would try to use our French as much as possible. It helped when we traveled to Quebec. We were just talking about this the other night and thinking about bringing it back.

Val Offline
    Muzzy from the BBC is good. It's expensive but you can pick it up on eBay or half.com for less than retail. Muzzy is an immersion-type program.

Can you find a tutor? If not, I've heard good things about Rosetta Stone.

Val

Our library has two different language programs on their free database list. You might want to check your local library. My dd9 has been using one of them to learn French. They are not terribly child friendly but she is determined.

There is also byki (http://www.byki.com/). They have a basic level of the program that you can use for free. My husband has been using byki to learn Spanish. He likes it. I have downloaded it for dd9, but she has not had time to try it.

I have heard great things about Rosetta Stone, but it is out of our price range.

I was going to suggest the library too, ours has the muzzy kits! (Well it's actually the next county over but they let us get a card smile )

M
    M
    Raddy, I'm very late here, but I have had you in mind while I've been looking around myself for French resources for the lads for the summer.

Have you seen the European Schoolbooks site? The French, private customers, link is here:
    http://french.esb.co.uk/

They have lots of complete courses, but there seem to be CDs and DVDs for supplements, as well as readers and so on.

(For anyone else interested in language learning, this site has a lot of resources for many European languages--you'll have to click away from French back to the main menu, though.)

Hope that helps!

peace
    minnie

My DS is using Rosetta Stone for Chinese and loves it. It's very easy to use so i'm not required to sit with him.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM