Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Raddy French resources for 9 year old - 03/29/09 10:18 AM
9 year old is just starting to learn French. Any recommended audio/video resources recommendations please?
Posted By: Ellipses Re: French resources for 9 year old - 03/29/09 01:46 PM
Sorry, I don't have suggestions. However, this reminds me of my daughter's experiences. She took French in Preschool. In our first neighborhood, where my daughter went for preschool through fifth, French was the second most spoken first language in our neighborhood (in Austin of all places) so this was offered in her Prekinder class and they sang many songs in French.
Anyway, we had a French night (Tuesdays) at dinner for many years. My daughter and I would pick out a different cheese to try (not always French) and we would try to use our French as much as possible. It helped when we traveled to Quebec. We were just talking about this the other night and thinking about bringing it back.
Posted By: Val Re: French resources for 9 year old - 03/29/09 06:02 PM
Muzzy from the BBC is good. It's expensive but you can pick it up on eBay or half.com for less than retail. Muzzy is an immersion-type program.

Can you find a tutor? If not, I've heard good things about Rosetta Stone.

Val
Posted By: Texas Summer Re: French resources for 9 year old - 04/12/09 01:48 AM
Our library has two different language programs on their free database list. You might want to check your local library. My dd9 has been using one of them to learn French. They are not terribly child friendly but she is determined.

There is also byki (http://www.byki.com/). They have a basic level of the program that you can use for free. My husband has been using byki to learn Spanish. He likes it. I have downloaded it for dd9, but she has not had time to try it.

I have heard great things about Rosetta Stone, but it is out of our price range.
Posted By: chris1234 Re: French resources for 9 year old - 04/12/09 09:17 AM
I was going to suggest the library too, ours has the muzzy kits! (Well it's actually the next county over but they let us get a card smile )
Posted By: minniemarx Re: French resources for 9 year old - 04/28/09 06:23 PM
Raddy, I'm very late here, but I have had you in mind while I've been looking around myself for French resources for the lads for the summer.

Have you seen the European Schoolbooks site? The French, private customers, link is here:
http://french.esb.co.uk/

They have lots of complete courses, but there seem to be CDs and DVDs for supplements, as well as readers and so on.

(For anyone else interested in language learning, this site has a lot of resources for many European languages--you'll have to click away from French back to the main menu, though.)

Hope that helps!

peace
minnie
Posted By: BWBShari Re: French resources for 9 year old - 04/28/09 06:46 PM
My DS is using Rosetta Stone for Chinese and loves it. It's very easy to use so i'm not required to sit with him.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum