Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    I
    IronMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    I just wanted to share a few non-drug approaches I�ve been reading about in the only book I was able to find on ADHD published in the last year (2008). Anyone noticed how out of date some of the �main books� on this topic are? The book below is a super easy read, good for teens and some children � lots of color photos, large text / good summary of the condition. It has a time line of the medical discovery of �ADHD� as something observed by medical community since 1845 on page 95. Has a great list of all the national associations on page 98.

I hope people find this list helpful. The details can be found in Chapter 6 of the ADHD Update � �Understanding Attention Deficit/HyperActivity Disorder by Alvin and Virginia Silverstein and Laura Silverstein Nunn.�

To summarize the non-drug approaches (some of which I hadn�t heard about):

Training the Brain � biofeedback/neurofeedback gets a mention. LENS is the new version of this technology � it also feeds a message back into your brain/frontal lobe, and doesn�t just train you to keep your attention on the screen you are watching. But either version is supposed to help you increase attention span/brainwaves leading to attention. (Pricing for this is around $80-100 per session in VA). Anyone else got prices?

Attention Trainer � a bicycle helmet that increases game action on a computer when their attention remains high.

Brain Exercise/Brain Gym � The Dore Program � run by Dore Achievement centers in the US, stimulate the lower back of the brain � cerebellum, and helps to control movements � even after 3 months of what is considered to be a yearly program- this apparently had great results! See http://ww.doreusa.com

Training the Ear � Tomatis Method � developed by ear, nose, throat doctor � music is used at different frequencies to retrain the way people with ADHD listen and hear sounds. This apparently improved social and academic skills and increased attention span in LD and Behavior �Problem� kids.

Dancing � Dance Dance Revolution (DDR). A machine that is a cross between Twister and Simon Says � kids match the steps and the musical beat as they stomp on 4 or more panels with arrows, matching an animated screen they are watching. (I believe that�s now known as WI � anyone?) You could of course use Twister and Simon Says I imagine with some degree of success! I find this very odd - seeing as 1 hour of TV and video games is also said to increase ADHD in most kids! but as a former dancer - I don't find dancing at all strange!

Diet and Exercise (obviously)

Green Time � to avoid that new �Nature Deficit Disorder� � apparently 30 minutes in a green place is still better than 30 minutes in a concrete jungle /basketball court. Think trees, oxygen to brain, running around, oxygen going into blood stream, endorphins increasing.

Now � �am I stupid� � or does most of this list get covered under:

We used to have 3 recess times a day when I was 5 (mid 1970s)
    We used to do Dance, Drama and Music in school or out of school as much as possible.
    There�s a reason for Yoga?

When I compared what I had as a hyper kid to what my son has now � I see that 3 things are diffrent - recess, dance and music. And of course � boys would NEVER go to dance class in the USA without lots of stigma � so of course boys will get diagnosed more frequently � another reason to add to their �reasons why we get diagnosed more often list�.

Forgive my sarcasm - but seriously - for anyone struggling on a budget - wouldn't it be better to put our money into dance, drama, music and outdoor exercise - and reinstate it on the national curriculum for all grades ......instead we look to pay for "ridciulously" priced therapies, doctors fees and medical insruance and drugs (assuming we are lucky enough to have jobs/insurance).

J
    J
    Originally Posted by IronMom
    Now � �am I stupid� � or does most of this list get covered under:

We used to have 3 recess times a day when I was 5 (mid 1970s)
    We used to do Dance, Drama and Music in school or out of school as much as possible.
    There�s a reason for Yoga?

When I compared what I had as a hyper kid to what my son has now � I see that 3 things are diffrent - recess, dance and music. And of course � boys would NEVER go to dance class in the USA without lots of stigma � so of course boys will get diagnosed more frequently � another reason to add to their �reasons why we get diagnosed more often list�.

Forgive my sarcasm - but seriously - for anyone struggling on a budget - wouldn't it be better to put our money into dance, drama, music and outdoor exercise - and reinstate it on the national curriculum for all grades ......instead we look to pay for "ridciulously" priced therapies, doctors fees and medical insruance and drugs (assuming we are lucky enough to have jobs/insurance).

***standing ovation***

PS. Of course, I have learned throughout my adult life that things that make sense are rarely the options of choice by the "powers that be".

E
    E
    A recent conversation with DS's teacher even had her fussing about the lack of recess for her 4th graders. She said that she thought most of her behavior problems and focus problems would be better with more recess time smile

S
    S
    Thanks for sharing some of those resources. I have many books on ADHD, but don't have any newer ones. But have looked at some info on-line and more up to date research. I agree with you that there should be more activity and outside time incorporated into schools. Also feel that there should be more hydration and snacks for older kids (I work with pre-k and K and think they get plenty). I do find it sad that schools are often so focused on meeting standards that they neglect the positive effect that play and being outside can have on performance and behavior, etc. Even when some schools do get it, they usually are discouraged to do too much of it because often time parents say things like "I am not sending my kids to play, I am sending them to learn."

Anyhow, I am a fan of trying non medical approaches first for ADHD. Although I have to say that I am also a fan of medication for ADHD when needed. Sometimes all the interventions in the world are not enough without medication. I have been working with this population for quite some time and that is just my experience. It's obviously not just with ADHD...it's with a lot of conditions: migraines, depression, anxiety, etc. You try what you can first...and then if it is not enough you go the med route.

ADHD has got to be the most overused diagnosis in the history of the world! Any time the slightest little behavior issue comes up, here it comes like clockwork! "Must be ADHD!" Couldn't possibly be just simple high energy?

This is one of those subjects that just frustrates me! In the past 6+ years, I've had 47 foster children. I can't tell you how many of them came through the door with an official diagnosis of ADHD and in many cases medication. For every one, except one that diagnosis was just simply crap! For the other one, he was actually bi-polar, he didn't have ADHD either!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    S
    S
    I agree that is is overdiagnosed in cases, but I have seen it undiagnosed in cases too. Some kids just have high energy, that is not ADHD. Unfortunately some professionals can't distinguish and just provide medication. I personally don't think you should just be able to go to a pediatrician and get mets for ADHD. That's just my opinion, because mental health isn't a pediatrician's area of expertise and because of that they often overdiagnose it. It frustates me when children have had a lack of structure and other things like that in their life that clearly makes them anxious and energetic and people assume ADHD. Especially in cases you have talked about, like in working with foster children. But I have seen the other end of it too which saddens me. Really good kids that keep getting punished at home for acting out at school and not following directions, etc...when they just don't have that self-control. They are great kids that aren't defiant..they just can't help it. Like punishing a kid for not being able to read the board when they don't have their glasses. How much sense does that make? Okay..maybe that was an awful analogy. My DH tells me that I am awful at analogies and that I shouldn't even try, LOL.

G
    G
    Fish. Oil.

G
    G
    Originally Posted by eema
    I am deeply offended by those who refuse to respect the use of medication. I respect the right not to use it.

I hope you're not talking about me because I didn't say a thing about meds.

Last edited by giftedticcyhyper; 03/20/09 12:55 PM.
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    For me, with meds:

I like my child (I always loved him--but I now really really like him)
    A fight doesn't erupt every other second
    He doesn't break everything from numerous window panes and games, toys, lamps, etc. by accident anymore
    All his clothes are no longer chewed to pieces
    My good friend no longer calls him "pig pen", although he still wears his lunch sometimes.
    I'm not afraid to leave him alone with his brother for half an hr while I blog

I
    IronMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Thanks eema for providing a differnet perspective. It's good to hear a success story. Where their side effects too though? I hear usually the drugs work, make it significantly worse, or just plain don't work at all.

Interesting to hear everyone's experiences and perspective...on my hunt for a non-drug appraoch if possible....

I still vote for a change in curriculum!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM