I just wanted to share a few non-drug approaches I�ve been reading about in the only book I was able to find on ADHD published in the last year (2008). Anyone noticed how out of date some of the �main books� on this topic are? The book below is a super easy read, good for teens and some children � lots of color photos, large text / good summary of the condition. It has a time line of the medical discovery of �ADHD� as something observed by medical community since 1845 on page 95. Has a great list of all the national associations on page 98.

I hope people find this list helpful. The details can be found in Chapter 6 of the ADHD Update � �Understanding Attention Deficit/HyperActivity Disorder by Alvin and Virginia Silverstein and Laura Silverstein Nunn.�

To summarize the non-drug approaches (some of which I hadn�t heard about):

Training the Brain � biofeedback/neurofeedback gets a mention. LENS is the new version of this technology � it also feeds a message back into your brain/frontal lobe, and doesn�t just train you to keep your attention on the screen you are watching. But either version is supposed to help you increase attention span/brainwaves leading to attention. (Pricing for this is around $80-100 per session in VA). Anyone else got prices?

Attention Trainer � a bicycle helmet that increases game action on a computer when their attention remains high.

Brain Exercise/Brain Gym � The Dore Program � run by Dore Achievement centers in the US, stimulate the lower back of the brain � cerebellum, and helps to control movements � even after 3 months of what is considered to be a yearly program- this apparently had great results! See http://ww.doreusa.com

Training the Ear � Tomatis Method � developed by ear, nose, throat doctor � music is used at different frequencies to retrain the way people with ADHD listen and hear sounds. This apparently improved social and academic skills and increased attention span in LD and Behavior �Problem� kids.

Dancing � Dance Dance Revolution (DDR). A machine that is a cross between Twister and Simon Says � kids match the steps and the musical beat as they stomp on 4 or more panels with arrows, matching an animated screen they are watching. (I believe that�s now known as WI � anyone?) You could of course use Twister and Simon Says I imagine with some degree of success! I find this very odd - seeing as 1 hour of TV and video games is also said to increase ADHD in most kids! but as a former dancer - I don't find dancing at all strange!

Diet and Exercise (obviously)

Green Time � to avoid that new �Nature Deficit Disorder� � apparently 30 minutes in a green place is still better than 30 minutes in a concrete jungle /basketball court. Think trees, oxygen to brain, running around, oxygen going into blood stream, endorphins increasing.

Now � �am I stupid� � or does most of this list get covered under:

We used to have 3 recess times a day when I was 5 (mid 1970s)
We used to do Dance, Drama and Music in school or out of school as much as possible.
There�s a reason for Yoga?

When I compared what I had as a hyper kid to what my son has now � I see that 3 things are diffrent - recess, dance and music. And of course � boys would NEVER go to dance class in the USA without lots of stigma � so of course boys will get diagnosed more frequently � another reason to add to their �reasons why we get diagnosed more often list�.

Forgive my sarcasm - but seriously - for anyone struggling on a budget - wouldn't it be better to put our money into dance, drama, music and outdoor exercise - and reinstate it on the national curriculum for all grades ......instead we look to pay for "ridciulously" priced therapies, doctors fees and medical insruance and drugs (assuming we are lucky enough to have jobs/insurance).