Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #41853 03/18/09 08:51 AM
    S
    shaangi Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Hi all,
    I just wanted to share my utter surprise (shock) with something that happened yesterday.
    DD and another gifted child (9years and some) were returning from school. DD forgot her homework words sheet at school. I turned to the other child and asked if she could call him up to get the homework words. The kid goes "no, i am busy, I have homework to do". I said "what?" and he repeated it. He went on and on about how DD could justify not doing the homework to the teacher and how he was rescuing her! The homework he was referring to was his mother's enrichment work not mandatory school work but that aside, what surprised me was a lack of respect and seeming lack of social context. DD, I am sure would never have done that especially if asked by another parent. To me, this is a pointer about how I should raise my children with old fashioned values and being civil, courteous, helpful etc. The adage 'It is nice to be important, but more important to be nice' comes to mind.
    Comments?
    more background: DD has always complained abt the kid's 'attitude problem just because he is so smart' and I saw it first hand yesterday.
    Guess how-not-to-be lessons are just as important as how-to-be!

shaangi #41859 03/18/09 09:21 AM
    that kid sounds like a piece of work...... tell you daughter to avoid him.....

How's his mom?
    Sounds like the other child is not enjoying that homework and it is mandatory for him and he's crabby (best case scenario). It also sounds like he did think it would be "a favor" to someone to keep them from doing their homework...
    Hm. I guess having lots of nieces and nephews rolling around the house all the time, I have gotten into a bad habit of telling a child when I think they're being rude, now even kids I am not related to: down at the bus stop, etc.
    Usually really freaks 'em out! wink (and they'd probably cough up the homework!)

I'm the same way, Chris. I'm a total buttinsky when it comes to manners. I don't try to embarrass kids or anything--I realize I don't know the backstory, and there could be issues I know nothing about. But I do quietly suggest alternate ways of handling things when bad manners are evident.

I'm afraid I can't help it! Call it "positive peer pressure," insofar as "peer" = another human being who has to share space with the child.

Kriston
    Kriston #42035 03/19/09 07:43 AM
    S
    shaangi Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Chris: the mom is very domineering. The kid almost exists to please her..oh well.
    He has an overwhelming need to be the best which is fine by itself but even it meant that has to put down the rest (and he has).
    I hate to not give "kids" the benefit of the doubt but this one gets none!

Kriston, I feel very shy and uncomfortable about redirecting others' kids. I dont want to incur the wrath of the parents for business they should have gotten to in the first place. (Besides, we are from another country and I sometimes get caught in 'gosh, am I displaced in time, culture and age?' I wonder how I will be able to handle my own DD's puberty phase, etc..cross-the-bridge..).

shaangi #42036 03/19/09 07:58 AM
    I am in the toddler phase of everything but I watch my friends doing things that in my opinion set the stage for what is coming in the future and it is with that attitude that I enforce manners with my DD. In regards to another thread about bossy ... my DD is extremely bossy but also has a high sense of empathy so it helps even things out. People are always impressed with her when we are out in public. She minds well and is respectful of others.

But as far as butting in to the parenting of others ... that is just my opinion, I would be butting in. If they show concern I will open the can of worms but I don't harp on it. I was in that position with a close friend of mine when we had a play date for our daughters. Her daughter was so uncontrollable it made me completely uncomfortable and now I will not put my DD in that situation again. It was really heartbreaking when we left them that my DD quietly sad that "M. really doesn't know how to mind her mommy." I also had the DD that was trying to mimic a little of what she saw M. do and this made it an easy conclusion for us that we would not have anymore play dates with my friend until she tackles some of M. problems. I didn't say anything but a few weeks ago the topic came up and I voiced my opinion on the issue. Hopefully the mom will do something to correct it.

shaangi #42038 03/19/09 08:08 AM
    I hear you. I think you're much closer to the norm than I am!

I just honestly can't help myself. I'm a not-really-recovering bossy GT kid and former teacher, so I have a really hard time biting my tongue. blush

And just to clarify in light of KM's intervening post: I don't advise or criticize parents. That's not my place.

But if a child is openly rude or disrespectful to me or to my kids in my presence and the parents don't step up, I do refuse to accept that behavior. I would do the same with rude adults. I think I have the right to require that my kids and I be treated with a certain level of respect and kindness, and I know we won't get it if we don't expect it.

Just MHO...

Kriston
    Kriston #42042 03/19/09 08:25 AM
    When you state it like that Kriston, I totally agree and have found myself jumping in and this is toddlers not older kids so I am sure the line will be even more evident on what I will be willing to accept.

A lot of people would disagree with us on this though, KM. Or at least would worry about making someone mad if they did it. That's never happened to me--at least not to my face! (Knock on wood...)

I always figure that I'm not doing anyone any good if I hold kids to significantly lower standards than I'd hold adults to. I know that they're learning, and I'm fine with their not being perfectly behaved. It's a process. But how will they learn if no one ever tells them that rude behavior is not okay? And what am I teaching *my* kids if they see me accepting blatantly rude behavior toward us?

At least that's my reasoning...

Kriston
    Kriston #42046 03/19/09 08:41 AM
    Funny thing is that some parents want you to step in. My first time working with younger kids I was a Cub Master of a new cub scout troop. Parents at this time needed to attend the meetings, I felt very uncomfortable enforcing good behavior on other parents children, espesially when they where in the room. On one outing I had a new parent (He was also a Middle School Principal. He had no problem stepping in, and the parents where thankful. Big shock to me, I now am more assertive, with rarely any issues. However I haven't tried it with strangers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM