Hi all,
I just wanted to share my utter surprise (shock) with something that happened yesterday.
DD and another gifted child (9years and some) were returning from school. DD forgot her homework words sheet at school. I turned to the other child and asked if she could call him up to get the homework words. The kid goes "no, i am busy, I have homework to do". I said "what?" and he repeated it. He went on and on about how DD could justify not doing the homework to the teacher and how he was rescuing her! The homework he was referring to was his mother's enrichment work not mandatory school work but that aside, what surprised me was a lack of respect and seeming lack of social context. DD, I am sure would never have done that especially if asked by another parent. To me, this is a pointer about how I should raise my children with old fashioned values and being civil, courteous, helpful etc. The adage 'It is nice to be important, but more important to be nice' comes to mind.
Comments?
more background: DD has always complained abt the kid's 'attitude problem just because he is so smart' and I saw it first hand yesterday.
Guess how-not-to-be lessons are just as important as how-to-be!