[quote=Kriston}

Well...It's not so much that they want to behave badly; it's that they think other people should have to behave well. Since I agree with my kids, I don't generally pull out the Brooklyn Bridge. I save it for things that I think my kids are being dumb about.[/quote]

At a recent birthday party at a yogurt shop, kids were playing tag INSIDE the restaurant! I was appalled and refused to let my DS play. He was totally bummed and sat there pouting. He asked how come he couldn't play and I responded "Because I am a much meaner mommy." He murmured under his breath "You're not meaner, they're going to break something...." But he's still 5 and wanted to play tag!

We take him with us everywhere because he's 'well-trained' and I try to remind him of that. On a cruise last year, he thoroughly enjoyed sitting through 7 courses of dinner with us. I reminded him every night that it was a special treat because he has such nice manners. This is not to say that at home he doesn't lose it! But pointing out the special stuff they are allowed to do because they have good behavior seems to make it easier when I have to be the hammer!