Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 434 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    S
    S
    Barging in here, can you ask to get a quick copy of the WISC scoring sheet from his file? (for example, I have a copy of the scoring summary sheet from when dd did the wisc privately; I don't remember what it's called, but it included her subtest scores - a one-page document)

Well, what I really want to know is, is it common to have difficulty getting copies of scoring reports from schools? and if so, what is their excuse? DS6 had the WJ yesterday, I believe, not that anyone told me and it was hard to get DS to fess up... (his smirk gave it away when I asked; his IEP meeting is next week and while the psychologist promised to give me a copy of her written report before the meeting, I really want to get my hands on the actual numbers so I can come here to ask questions of our friendly testing gurus smile . Bummer of course is that he was on the sick side and the night before he had been up during the night several times.)

I
    I
    Possibly approach the school as in "its in your self interest to share as much info. as possible with me" - because you as parent want to help out your child as much as possible. It seems daft for them not to share - and I wouldn't mind betting that you're covered legally. I know in VA you're covered to see school records in regards to special ed and in general - so would think testing falls under "general file" anyway.

Snowgirl - real interesting that you son has IEP and they tested without even telling you. Does this suggest your school cares about both sides of the 2E equation and was proactive!!?! Keep in mind - like Dottie said the other day - the results are just "how they do on the day and time in question".

Last edited by IronMom; 03/12/09 02:11 PM.
    S
    S
    Ironmom - it's neither as good nor as bad as that. I knew he would be tested, just not when. I only guessed it was yesterday since he hadn't had the test recently (she wanted to wait till he turned 6, which was just a few weeks ago), and she's only at this school two Wednesdays per month. With the IEP meeting next week, I figured it had to be yesterday. And no, they don't really care about 2E (though they might say they do). This was only because he gets speech and OT, and apparently in K they like to do a thorough assessment for any IEP, so he was getting the WJ, both IQ and achievement, in order to look for any learning disability issues. Not to apply to the gifted program, though certainly IF the score qualified we could use the test (the district has a self-contained full-time gifted program but the requirements listed in the on-line handbook are probably a bit too strict for my asynchronous little DS6, in terms of constant achievement two grade levels above, possibly in all subjects). So while I'm dying to know the results, I'm trying hard to not get my expectations up, to take it all with a very large grain of salt. I'm hoping to do private testing, maybe in another year, though I don't really have an excuse at this time and I don't know if I can get DH to agree to the $ (since his twin brother and older sister also deserve more testing).

Thanks for your thoughts on getting the report. smile

I
    I
    They may have only done the VCI and PRI to get GAI. This is a valid for placement purposes in order to save money. You may want to ask about administering the WMI and PSI for diagnostic purposes if 2E is a concern.

http://www.nagc.org/index.aspx?id=2455

Administering just the Verbal Comprehension and Perceptual Reasoning sections (a total of six subtests), and calculating a GAI, is also a justifiable, shorter, and cost-effective alternative for selecting gifted students.

I
    I
    Oh okay. What is the disability? - I have little time to get through "every single thread" - or are you deliberately not saying for privacy (which is fine of course). My DS6 just turned 6 too. I have to say though - that compared to other mom's I know in VA that need speech and OT for their kids it sounds like your "area" of the world is being very proactive in giving him a full and entire assessment!

S
    S
    Originally Posted by IronMom
    Oh okay. What is the disability? - I have little time to get through "every single thread" - or are you deliberately not saying for privacy (which is fine of course). My DS6 just turned 6 too. I have to say though - that compared to other mom's I know in VA that need speech and OT for their kids it sounds like your "area" of the world is being very proactive in giving him a full and entire assessment!
    Speech and fine motor, I guess, are the only disabilities at this time, knock on wood. I don't think there's any official name for that. The psychologist said that they like to do a full assessment during K, looking for any other learning disabilities. (Now I can see why the district is running out of money. We're in CO.) So it won't be like this every year. I was really surprised when this psychologist called me a couple months ago about giving consent for this test. At first I was hoping for a freebee IQ test until digging around a bit and thinking some more and realizing that it may not be an accurate picture of his IQ because (1) his speech and fine motor issues do occasionally get in the way, (2) his personality at present - he's more cooperative with strange evaluators than he used to be, but it'll be easier when he's a little older I think, (3) he's a late bloomer in general so he may not be done developing yet, and (4) I guess the WJ cognitive assessment is better at finding LDs than giving an accurate IQ score (which is fine since that's the reason he's getting it anyway). So I'll have to go back and read this when I am crestfallen over his score next week LOL. I will do my best to remind myself that regardless of what the scores show at the moment, I do believe he's likely to have a higher IQ than his gifted sister. And I can't wait to lord it over DH, who years ago used to make bad jokes about what the future held for DS (and I'd say, you just wait, he'll be performing surgery on your brain one day).

Sorry for hijacking the thread, I'll stop now smile

Welcome to the board! We just had a long discussion about homeschooling on this thread. Check it out

http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....ng_all_homeschoolers_help.html#Post40815

LMom
    H
    hip Offline
    H
    Hi, new user here; I've been lurking for a while but wanted to ask about this. I'm curious - how do you know Davidson doesn't consider GAI?

Thanks!

D
    D
    http://www.davidsongifted.org/young...holars___Qualification_Criteria_384.aspx

They accept Full Scale, and/or Verbal and/or Nonverbal

Z
    ziggy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Z
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    I would recommend waiting for the WIAT results. If they are there, it would be a very strong application.

Dottie - May I PM you with the WIAT results? I'm still a bit skittish posting all his scores!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM