Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 117 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    Z
    ziggy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Z
    I introduced myself over in the general forum so I hope it's OK for me to jump in over here!

DS (3rd grade)took the WISC IV in January '09 at 7y7m. When we were called in to meet with the school, I was given a "Gifted Written Report" which now seems pretty vague to me. I was only given 3 scores from the test. It lists his Verbal (144) Perceptual Reasoning (139) and General Ability (151). We were presented with a GIEP which is pretty much resulting in extra accelerated math worksheets being sent home when remembered.

I always knew he was a bright kid but now I'm absolutely terrified that I don't know what to do. I actually hesitated having him tested and sat on the consent forms. (That must make me sound like a horrible Mom, but it's the denial thing. He's an only so I can't compare him to other kids...all kids are like him!) His current school wasn't meeting his needs before I was presented with his scores and now I have the school saying that he could possibly thrive someplace else. Maybe that's their way of saying they don't know what to do with a kid like him.

I really need help. I'm looking into quitting my PT job to either HS him or possibly do a VA until we get our feet wet. I just feel so lost. Is there a support group for parents? I actually can't sleep at night over this. I think I'm driving myself crazy!

I've been reading through posts and there are so many confident people here. Did you ever feel scared out of your wits over you kid/s? As I've learned through previous posts, I know I can only do what's right for today and I can't plan his whole schooling years out...that's helped a lot. I think I'm just looking for a place where we might belong. It feels very lonely here right now!

J
    J
    Oh wow. You sound just like I feel. Glad to know I'm not the only one ;-) I'm new here also and my DS8 is an only - so I totally get the 'all kids are like him' right?

I'll be following your post and responses because I'm sure some of my own questions might be answered. Good luck.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by ziggy
    I'm looking into quitting my PT job to either HS him or possibly do a VA until we get our feet wet. I just feel so lost. Is there a support group for parents? I actually can't sleep at night over this. I think I'm driving myself crazy!
    Hi ziggy.
    It doesn�t seem so long ago that I experienced the same uncertainty. My son hadn�t even been at his school for a full year before I was counseled that he might be a good candidate for home school!

If you are in or near a large city, chances are good that there is a parent support group. Ask the individual who administered the test or find a PhD who specializes in gifted for guidance.

What does VA stand for?

Z
    ziggy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Z
    Originally Posted by delbows
    What does VA stand for?

VA is Virtual Academy, or cyber school. I'm in PA and there are a lot of options for cybering. I think starting out that way might give me some confidence.

Are you HS'ing now? I'd love to hear how others got through this tough time!

Ziggy....Congrats on having a "wicked Smart" son. We've all been where you are now. Take a deep breath and take one step, just one. I got that advice on here and it works. Look at today and what's best for your DS today. Then take that step.

Try not to look too far ahead, because you can't predict anything a year from now. Whether you choose h/s, afterschooling or whatever make the best choice for today.

Post your questions here, there is some really good advice available from people who understand where you're at.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by ziggy
    Are you HS'ing now? I'd love to hear how others got through this tough time!
    No, I have never HSed, but in hindsight, think it mighthave been the best solution, at least until middle school. Home schooling for me would have primarily meant finding opportunities for him to learn and directing him to a computer site or driving him somewhere.
    That is what I do now. Since last fall, my son has received financial aid to attend a college prep 6th-12th grade school. He has been allowed to take math one grade ahead this year and will add science subject acceleration next year. He is the singular exception in his class of 100. I appreciate that the staff of his school approached our requests for subject acceleration with some skepticism that he could clear �their� standard, but without a predetermined decision. This is the best conceivable situation for him as I would no longer be useful to him as a teacher and he prefers to interact with his instructors more than on-line courses permit.
    He definitely would have progressed much faster had we substituted virtual classes for the slower pace of elementary grades though.

Have you considered applying for the Davidson Young Scholars program? Members have an educational consultant assigned to them to help you find an appropriate school placement.

Z
    ziggy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Z
    Originally Posted by Cathy A
    Have you considered applying for the Davidson Young Scholars program?

Yes! We are still working on our application. We are also waiting for results of the WIAT test he took but I guess I could still apply with a supporting portfolio. Once again I'm sitting on the application in fear of rejection...then what? I think too far ahead...

Z
    ziggy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Z
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    Ziggy, since the WISC-IV doesn't quite meet the DYS requirements (they don't consider GAI), I would recommend waiting for the WIAT results. If they are there, it would be a very strong application. Did they give you the regular FSIQ? That is also accepted and with strong WMI/PSI scores, could easily be over the 145 mark.

As embarassed as I am to write this, I'm a little relieved to hear you say he doesn't fit the DYS requirements to a "T"! We'll definitely wait for the WIAT scores before submitting, but I'm really considering pulling him out of his public school soon, like by the end of the month. Is the school still required to give me the results of the WIAT testing if I pull him out? Heck, if I knew they'd cooperate and still give me his scores and the recommendation from the GT teacher for the DYS application, I'd pull him out tomorrow!

I don't think I have a FSIQ score. The report is so vague, and the only numbers they gave me were the ones I mentioned above. Could they have only administered part of the test? I'm such a newbie to all of this, excuse my ignorance!

I
    I
    Congrats on having a "wicked smart boy" - as they like to say out here!! Sympathies also - but really - we must retain attitude of gratitude and joy I say. I still think having a disabled/challenged kid is far more disheartening to cope with!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM