Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (aeh), 390 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Originally Posted by Ania
    He won! Won the entire thing! First place in written, first place in countdown! He even scored 100% on a team round but could not get trophy for that since he was a team of...one smile
    He made it to state!

Go DS-Ania! smile smile Well Done!
    Too bad about the 'team' problem though.
    Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    J
    jayne Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    I learned something new last week you won't hear from your high school counselor!

Background info: so once you get in college, you have your basics (traditionally 2 years) that you fulfill and some prerequisites (which often overlap as a basic course) for a major.

It used to be that if you had a specific gpa with the prerequisites finished, the major fields will let you in. Now you "apply" to get within a school/major/program within the university. Some applications require a test also to get into the school. Some schools will go back and look at your SAT/SAT subject/ACT scores, if the program is very competitive to get into.

NEW NEWS FOR ME! Not all of these schools/majors/programs will recognize AP/IB scores for their department. Students get a "leg up" if they actually took the courses at the university level, since they are harder and the professors know what is covered.

Also...(more news for me!)...she said some medical schools also do not count math and science AP/IB courses as a check for requirements to apply.

(She was home yesterday, advising her 16 yo brother on his college classes for next year. I overheard all of this, and stopped for explanations.) Again, I think the best way to figure high school is to take distance education courses (telecast to the high school from university) or to take it directly from the college your child intends to go to, or to take courses from a highly "articulated" college that works with that university.

Never take a college credit course without talking to the dean of the final university in the right department, as to what he will require and accept...and then...it might even change! Things seem to be bending to more competitiveness.

Originally Posted by jayne
    Never take a college credit course without talking to the dean of the final university in the right department, as to what he will require and accept...and then...it might even change! Things seem to be bending to more competitiveness.

I do think this is a worthwhile topic, but I don't actually agree with this. Many gifted kids dabble in college courses well before they have a particular program or university in mind. Should they really hold off on learning at that level if they don't know if it will "count" later? What about learning for it's own sake? What about being challenged? In my opinion, learning is never "wasted". I do appreciate the advice, but perhaps this will apply more to some than to others.

J
    jayne Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    I do think this is a worthwhile topic, but I don't actually agree with this. Many gifted kids dabble in college courses well before they have a particular program or university in mind. Should they really hold off on learning at that level if they don't know if it will "count" later? What about learning for it's own sake? What about being challenged? In my opinion, learning is never "wasted". I do appreciate the advice, but perhaps this will apply more to some than to others.

Hi Lorel!
    Thanks for clearing this up. I referred to this in an earlier post, but the way this thread covers different topics, it's kind of lost back there. I'm all for learning for learning's sake. I was specifically trying to share about applying credits to programs.

Here is where I kind of referred to taking courses that won't count to a major degree program:
    If your kids don't have a strong science interest or background, these are fine for a starting point, but not the same depth as the regular science for science majors which always requires a lab. Depending on their major, they will need to then take "the science for science majors" courses. Sometimes this is a viable option, if they have a heavy load and want an introduction to physics, before taking the fast paced one, for example.

I am trying to keep my posts shorter than longer, and I do think it's kind of confusing to follow.

The problem here is when the college students think and believe they have checked something off way back in high school and now have 3 years of college finished and are ready to start their major (some prerequisites for some majors are a little over a semester and don't overlap).

Having to go back and take math and sciences after a few years break when you didn't plan to can be expensive, as well as annoying. Her friends are wanting to go to their degree program, one is staying to redo his AP classes for a few med schools. Rent, tuition, and books are expensive, not to mention the time factor...anyway, that's what I was referring to. They need to double check with the head of the department, before they just assume that it can apply to the program they intend it to.

I think it is logical to think that if the university accepted the AP/IB for admittance, the school/program within will. It was news to me that not only do they not, some medical schools (and probably other higher degree programs) do not. Also, they use index scores for admissions into some of these programs, and AP courses do not add points. It will help us in planning, so I thought I'd share.

(I hope this high school/college thread will work out for all topics...maybe not frown )

Originally Posted by jayne
    (I hope this high school/college thread will work out for all topics...maybe not frown )

You can always start another thread. I don't think there's any reason why all high school/college topics have to be confined to a single thread. Feel free to spread out!

smile

Kriston
    Well, I hope this becomes a subforum pretty soon smile

C
    cym Offline
    C
    me too!!

C
    cym Offline
    C
    Late comments--

SSP is the Summer Science Program offered at NM Tech and Ojai, CA. I understand it's an amazing program for brilliant science/math folks--very prestigious and valuable.

Congrats Ania on Ghost's Math Counts. That is too cool! I keep remembering last year's Math Counts final video & maybe this year we'll see Ghost up there (those kids solved the problems faster than I could even read them! It was such a treat to watch).

Quote:
    DS is taking Mathcounts chapter tomorrow; cold, without ever doing ANY Mathcounts problems!
    Dear God, please help him...

He won! Won the entire thing! First place in written, first place in countdown! He even scored 100% on a team round but could not get trophy for that since he was a team of...one
    He made it to state!

I still can't believe it! On Thursday night we had no idea he is is going to do Mathcounts...

Well, State Mathcounts was today and... Ghost is on a state team going to Orlando Florida in May!!!
    Again can't believe it! Was third in written and second in countdown. This is a boy that started doing mathcounts a month ago!
    I think we will all travel to Florida with him smile

Cym - I really do not think Ghost will make it to the top ten but it is so cool to be part of your state team! Such an achievement!
    Go team Utah! ( and I am sure they will practice hard to be the best team Utah ever!)

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM