Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 351 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #3967 10/18/07 11:53 PM
    C
    cindyh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    I am new to this forum. I have some questions that maybe some one here can help me with.
    I have a 9yr old boy in 4th grade. I have never had him tested for gifted but every school year something happens that makes me question if I should. I don't think he is your typical(if there is a typical-lol) gifted child. He does not like to read for entertainment(or even that which is required). Every year since kindergarten every teacher has said the same exact thing. "He just sits there and day dreams, zones out. But when I ask him a question he has the answer." They all think he is not listening and are amazed when he knows what's going on. He does well on his tests, mostly A's and lots of 100%. Occasionally, he'll get a real clunker i.e. 47%. Every teacher says that he does not put forth enough effort and I agree. He seems completely unmotivated. Over the summer I brought him to Sylan(because I didn't know where else to go) They tested him with the California standardize test and said that he scored a 7th vocab and overall was on the six grade level(this was at the end of 3rd grade) and thought he could possibly be gifted. They suggested that I start by taking him to his doc for referral.
    ( I guess to see a psychologist)
    Another thing that my son does is take things apart but has no interest in putting them back together.
    I just got a call from his teacher yesterday that she is having behavorial problems with him. Mainly typical boy things, talking, fooling around in class. Also, being disrepectful and not taking resonsibility for his actions, blaming others. I had a talk with him about this and his reaction seemed to show a lot of frustration. Is his boredom causing him to have these behavioral problems?
    I'm so worried that we are all missing something with him. These problems go on year after year and I fear that we will lose him. He doesn't try very hard as it is and still gets A's and B's. I fear that if we don't figure out what he needs he will become disinterested altogether and dettached.
    It seems nothing anybody says or does to help him changes his behavior or attitude toward his schoolwork.
    Should I have him tested privately for gifted or maybe the issue is something else altogether?
    I'm very worried. I don't want to fail my child. Is it common for a gifted child to be a type "B" personality (as his 2d grade teacher once put it.) Or as his kindergarten teacher put it "Unwilling to conform." or as his first grade teacher put it, "Lacking maturity." Or as his third grade teacher put it,"zoned-out"(of course hearing every word and getting A's) Or as his 4th grade teacher most recently put it, "Unwilling to take responsibility."
    Or are these all another way of saying he's not being challenged?
    I hope this makes some kind of sense and that I have asked questions and did not just ramble.
    Thank you reading this. If this situation sounds familiar to anyone I would appreciate your thoughts.
    Thank you,
    Cindy

Dottie #3971 10/19/07 07:01 AM
    D
    D
    Hi,

Type B gifted is new!

My daughter just informed me last night that she is most �gifted� in the �body� (apparently �kinesthetic� was too difficult a word for 8th grade students) and �interpersonal� categories. It seems one of her teachers took the period off from teaching his regular subject to give a pop-psychology interest inventory and explained that RESEARCHERS NOW BELIEVE that there are �multiple� ways to be gifted! I told her that I consider that theory �bunk�, which changed the focus of our conversation to out-dated slang definitions!

I agree with Dottie�s advice to pursue I.Q. testing. It sounds as if he might do especially well on the non-verbal sections. There is also the possibility that he might have some 2E issues.

What does your son tell you about the situation at school?

delbows #3973 10/19/07 09:25 AM
    C
    cindyh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Thank you Dottie and Delbow for your response.

Delbow what is 2E? I'm new to all of the lingo.

My son doesn't say much about school. He tells me about things that he has learned that interest him and that everything is fine. It is not until I hear from the teacher that I am informed that not all is well.

I spoke to someone at a local psyhcologist gifted testing center this morning. She suggested that I fill out this questionnarie on their site-free. I just finished (2 hours later) and emailed it to her. She should get back to me on Monday with suggestions as to what to do next. If it is testing for gift it will be quite a financial hit($150 an hour-about 2 hours plus if I want the report another $150-if he scores 130 or above)
    If the test will help me to have more insight to my child so that I can help him it will be worth the money.
    I'll keep you posted:)

Last edited by cindyh; 10/19/07 09:26 AM.
    cindyh #3974 10/19/07 11:26 AM
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    Hi Cindyh,

I agree with dottie & delbows that you should have your son tested. It is well-worth the money to find out how to help your son. Although I don't know too much about it, I'll take a stab at your 2E question: 2E means "twice-exceptional" and refers gifted kids who also have learning disabilities like dyslexia-- which might have something related to his dislike of reading. A full psychological analysis is usually more expensive so you might want to focus on IQ testing and sometimes they'll tell you if there's an indication of other exceptionality. Others may have different suggestions.

Good Luck!

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM