Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 395 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    J
    jayne Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    So the years don't really matter when the kids are accelerated.

They will top out of everything, even the distance education and concurrent enrollment options.
    Some high schools have no problem if they continue their education at a local college. Some do...If the classes aren't "articulated" with the high school, they may not receive high school credit for the college classes. Crazy! But it happened to us. (I figured out a loop hole if someone is stuck in this position.)

Typically, the gifted kids top out of their subjects, move on to college classes (taught by semester basis) and move through a college program. Once they start taking college classes, their time/years requirement changes.

A college course taught by semester is equal to a year of high school or more. So they really don't need 4 years of Eng/Math/Sci/Hist, but 4 high school credits of Eng/Math/Sci/Hist.

This adds some flexibility when earning their AA or more, because they need to take other college courses, such as foreign languages, statistics, health, and humanities.

Also, be aware...that some colleges will try to get the high school kids to take only science classes "for non-science majors." Sometimes the lab is optional in these, sometimes not.

If your kids don't have a strong science interest or background, these are fine for a starting point, but not the same depth as the regular science for science majors which always requires a lab. Depending on their major, they will need to then take "the science for science majors" courses. Sometimes this is a viable option, if they have a heavy load and want an introduction to physics, before taking the fast paced one, for example. Also, you want A's for scholarships and grad/law/medical/dental school. It is smart to play it safe, if needed.

Also, if they take only one semester of science for science majors at the high school's feeder college, they will have have to retake it before they take the second semester at their final university. These intro/weeder courses need to be taught combined at one school (Bio 1A/1B, Chem 101/102, Physics, etc)...the universities teach them together and juggle topics. so it's not good to come in half way.

And that's just Science...LOL grin

(I hope this all makes sense...and helps! smile )
    Some day I'll write a short post!

J
    jayne Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    ANOTHER OPTION

I have been reading up on high school/college alternative paths and came across this really great interview from a kid's perspective.

Intern'tl Chem Olympiad, Pres Scholar, and Harvard Scholar Kid

There are many things I like about this interview. For one, the kid found a passion, but still loves learning in general (see last question of interview). I also like that he seems humble and wasn't radically pushed by parents. AP Chem sophomore year isn't radical, although he started at a university in 9th grade...still not TOO radical.

I love how his parents handled the languages. I wonder how much was Dad's job transfers.

smile Kids are amazing if we can find the opportunities for them to learn and keep it intrinsically rewarding.

K
    K
    Originally Posted by Lorel
    I have a 20 year old son. Wow- that sounds old! He had his birthday last month.

AH MAN, I was really hoping "this" became more of a non-issue at some point for parents. Well, gotta go clean up the bubble splatter.

Jayne ,
    Excellent, excellent points in your "longer" post above. Thank you. Boy, there is so much to learn!!!

...If the classes aren't "articulated" with the high school, they may not receive high school credit for the college classes. Crazy! But it happened to us. (I figured out a loop hole if someone is stuck in this position.)

We do not want to be stuck! Tell me what you know!

Originally Posted by Cym
    Check out SSP for when he's a junior.

An obvious ignorant here, but what is SSP?

DS is taking Mathcounts chapter tomorrow; cold, without ever doing ANY Mathcounts problems!
    Dear God, please help him...

DS is taking Mathcounts chapter tomorrow; cold, without ever doing ANY Mathcounts problems!

He won! Won the entire thing! First place in written, first place in countdown! He even scored 100% on a team round but could not get trophy for that since he was a team of...one smile
    He made it to state!

I still can't believe it! On Thursday night we had no idea he is is going to do Mathcounts...

Very cool! Congrats to ds!

Originally Posted by Ania

He won! Won the entire thing! First place in written, first place in countdown! He even scored 100% on a team round but could not get trophy for that since he was a team of...one smile
    He made it to state!

Congrats to your DS! That's wonderful!

Originally Posted by cym
    Colorado College in the Springs is supposed to be small LAC that is highly regarded.

My husband graduated from Colorado College. It is very difficult to get into and expensive - need scholarships, probably Boettcher. The curriculum is very flexible and one can even write his or her own. We are hoping our daughter can go there. She is a legacy so will have a decent chance.

Originally Posted by Ania

He made it to state!

I still can't believe it! On Thursday night we had no idea he is is going to do Mathcounts...

That's great!!!

Technically, he is a team of TWO - one and null make a set of TWO!!

J
    jayne Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    smile I'm really excited for you, Ania and your son, of course! When we moved, my kids didn't recognize the competitions mentioned at school, and didn't pursue them...sadly!

I wasn't aware of them, although I bet they were mentioned in school newsletters in crypted-acronym form, like standardized tests. Anyway, I'll be looking into some for next year.

In the meantime...I am going to post a high school related topic on this same thread. Since we don't have our own forum, this thread will be a twisted, curvy one.

I found what I wanted surfing around for high school options last week...a list of academic math/science competitions with their nicknames, and when, what, and where to compete!

I am hoping that if our middle/high schools don't offer one that will fit our 13yo, that hubby and me might successfully introduce one. Never know how it will go though with public schools!

So here is the link! Middle/High School Academic Competitions

(I'll just keep dropping things here in this thread that are high school related.) wink

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM