Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    On Friday, DD8 brings her 4th grade interim report home. Purpose is (I think) to alert parents of any potential issues, introduce areas that are improving and what needs to be worked on. DD had the following comments on hers (not verbatim): offers meaningful comments during discussions, able to focus when topic is interesting but lacks focus when not interested. Tends to daydream during class and not utilize time properly. Lacks self control when working in large groups or transition periods from one class to another.

Am I reading too much into these comments to be concerned? So far DD says school is easy, not challenging and she only enjoys science. This "lack of focus" sounds like lack of challenge, as DD and I can sit down and complete an entire lesson of challenge math without any breaks. Or she can read 40-50 pages quietly and able to paraphrase it to me. How should I approach this with DD and with her teacher? Our conference with her teacher is going to be in Nov. Not sure if I should let this go until then now that she has brought these issues up.

Mommy2myEm

D
    D
    When he was younger, my son would often have these items checked (bad) on his report cards and mid-term reports.
    Uses time well
    Listens attentively
    Is quiet in class

He quite frequently, had to stay in from recess to �write sentences�. I just shook my head at the practice of denying recess to an antsy and bored boy!

These items, which I consider more important, were never checked;
    Respects authority
    Takes personal responsibility
    Is courteous and respectful of others
    Is prepared for class
    And, by the way, his grades were good.

Not that he was perfectly behaved at all times, but, when I spoke to his teachers regarding this problem behavior, their speech often revealed how they �felt� about him, rather than true problem behavior. On teacher, for instance, told me that he �bugged� the other children which she continued to define as meaning that they didn�t like him.

I advise that you talk to your child�s teacher soon and ask for examples of bad behavior to determine whether to address the issue or just wait for the next teacher.

Your daughters examples sound like typical gifted behavior when underchallenged.

OP Offline
    Dottie,

I felt the interim was quite thoughtful and the different topics it covers are a way to begin a teacher-parent conversation about concerning issues. We don't have check boxes, there is a commentary section and some prelisted options with a comment line next to it. Most teacher in our school will write something to work on, which is great, but I felt DDs comments were pretty much a gifted/bored child behaviors and since she has access to her tests from last year, maybe they would have added the 2 and 2?

Sounds like I need to initiate some conversation now with her teacher.

OP Offline
    Delbows,

Thank for your reply. I agree that the behaviors listed are pretty typical for a underchallenged gifted child. I'm glad this is brought up early in the school year so maybe something can be done about it.

B
    bk1 Offline
    B
    I agree with other posters -- seize the opportunity to talk now. It's the perfect opportunity to address the teacher's concerns and get her thinking about how to accommodate your daughter.

I would complement her on being so perceptive about your daughter, and thank her for her concern for your child.

I would explain what types of activities keep your DD interested and focused ---- like, she needs to have lots of new information and learn new things each day. I had an exchange like this last year with my DS's grade two teacher. I never used the word "gifted," instead, I focused on the [gifted] behavior and needs. I think with a lot of teachers, it also helps to focus on the child's feelings. For example, I said my son was sad on days he didn't learn anything new and came home bursting with excitement on days when the class had covered an interesting new topic. Perhaps you could talk about her frustration in having to switch gears from an interesting activity.

Also, find out which transitions she's not doing well with -- perhaps transitions to something boring???

Good luck,

bk

OP Offline
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I sent a letter to school with DD and asked the teacher to contact me when convenient to her. I did as bk1 suggested and complemented her on picking up on these behaviors this early in the year and asked for suggestions what I could do at home to support her educational and behavioral needs.

I also gave her some specific examples from last year and how they were resolved. She sent a quick post it note home letting me know the letter was received and she would speak with the gifted teacher and then get back to me. Now, I never mentioned the word gifted, but she must have identified these behaviors as such. I am hoping that this opens the communication between us and DD will have a better school year.

Wow! So far, so good, huh!? That's excellent.

Keep us posted!

Kriston

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs