Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 105 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Dottie #3470 09/19/07 07:17 AM
    Hi CP -
    Wow - your discussions sound so Cool! I would never push a child to "listen" when their mind is working.

Your next step is to find a Club that you and DS can attend, on any of the subjects your son enjoys, so that he can talk to enthusiasts. I know of Mineral/Gem Clubs, and Reptile Clubs. I'm sure there are other clubs.

I believe that when you see your DS cross examining these adults at these Clubs, you will get a whole 'nother appreciation of your son.

Parenting these children is like changeing glasses over and over and over again. They are really outside the normal expectation path.

As for the tendency of thinking that being a Parent of a Gifted kid is like joining an "exclusive club of our own" - well, we are all guilty of it from time ot time. Please don't let the feelings of "I don't fit in" stop you from "taking what you like and leaving the rest." All of us grown up ex-gifted children have an "I don't really fit in here" chip on our shoulders, true?

Smiles and big friendly grin,
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Dottie #3471 09/19/07 07:56 AM
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    Hey CP, was the 4th/5th comment in the report? Or just something she said orally? I pulled my son's WIAT report from age 7, and it seems like anything at the 4th/5th level should be higher than the numbers quoted.

That's assuming "all correct" along the way though, he could have missed words along the way, but still gotten some right in the 4th/5th level, pulling a "lower" score. Did you get GE's with the scaled scores? Do you have the GE for the Word Reading score?

Please know his scores are not at all "low", just a tad low relatively speaking compared to his IQ scores. They are all three in that "easily gifted" range (just not in the DYS range).

It was something she said when she finished testing him. That she had to remind herself that he hadn't started kindergarten yet and that she had gone as far as 4/5th grade material. She also said that he missed one problem because he didn't realize it was addition and did subtraction instead. He did the subtraction correctly but missed the "+" sign or something like that. Again he has never been formally exposed to any of this in preschool.

Below is the full interpretation of the tests.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Interpretation:
    [DS] was evaluated for the purpose of qualifying him for academic programs for gifted
    children in town. He presented as a pleasant, personable and energetic youngster who
    willingly completed all tasks. Attention, concentration and persistence were excellent.

Examination of test scores by domain, shows that [DS]'s verbal intelligence is slightly
    more well-developed than his non-verbal or visual-spatial intelligence. This difference
    appears due to slightly weaker scores on non-verbal measures of picture absurdities and
    quantitative reasoning. Regarding the latter, to progress to the next level of math in the
    test required a jump to use of proportions and comprehension of multiplicative
    relationships, a concept to which few kindergartners have been exposed. When spatial
    relationships were assessed through tanagram puzzles, [DS] performed well. Analysis
    of overall performance shows that [DS] appears to be strongest on measures of fluid
    reasoning and working memory whether a verbal or non-verbal format was being used.
    Fluid reasoning is particularly important in that it assesses the student's ability to apply
    their innate intelligence (and what they have learned) to new situations or learn new
    information presented on the spot. Lastly, [DS] exhibited an excellent ability to read
    maps, verbally describe directions and relate various orientations.

Academic achievement was assessed using the WIAT-II. Scores are appended at the end
    of this report. Given the fact that [DS] has yet to attend Kindergarten, his performance
    was excellent, particularly in math. Because math reasoning was so easy for him, I
    decided to give him the written calculation portion which should only be administered
    once a child has entered kindergarten. Age norms allowed me to calculate a normative
    score for [DS]- 136,99th percentile, mid-second grade level. [DS] demonstrated
    mastery of basic addition and subtraction operations even completing a double digit
    problem correctly. Word reading was great, [DS] demonstrating automization of
    phonics and a good ability to self-correct. I had him read some of the fist grade level
    texts of the reading comprehension sub-test which he could have completed had the test
    scored out of grade/age range.

WIAT II

Word Reading:
    Standard Score:126
    Confidence Interval: 123-129
    Percentile: 96
    Age Equivalent: 7:0
    Grade: 1:7
    Other NCE: 87

Numerical Operations:
    Standard Score:136
    Confidence Interval: 119-135
    Percentile: 99
    Age Equivalent: 7:8
    Grade: 2:5

Math Reasoning:
    Standard Score:127
    Confidence Interval: 119-135
    Percentile: 96
    Age Equivalent: 7:4
    Grade: 1:9
    Other NCE: 88

SB5
    Fluid Reasoning:
    NV: 19
    V:17

Knowledge:
    NV:14
    V:19

Quantitive Reasoning:
    NV:15
    V:18

Visual-spatial Reasoning:
    NV: 16
    V: 19

Working Memory:
    NV:18
    V:18

Non Verbal IQ: 141
    Verbal IQ: 153
    Full Scale: 149

D
    D
    CP,

There is a series of easy reader science books (with substance) by DK entitled EYE WONDER. There are tons of photographs and diagrams with captions along with the text so that a child with some subject experience (and a high IQ) might be able to decipher the words.

Non-Fiction science books on the following topics were my son�s favorite when he was 5-7 years;

Volcanoes
    Black holes
    Electromagnetic Spectrum
    Reptiles
    Rocks and minerals
    Periodic Table
    Atoms

I like Trinity�s suggestion for clubs also. We haven�t found any around here, but ds loves to attend rocks and minerals shows.

Are you considering a grade skip?

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Delbows,

We might consider a grade skip. Right now he is with friends in school and hasn't complained of being bored yet. We are going this weekend to try to locate some books like what you suggested.

Originally Posted by ConfusedParent
    Delbows,

We might consider a grade skip. Right now he is with friends in school and hasn't complained of being bored yet. We are going this weekend to try to locate some books like what you suggested.

Hi CP -
    at the risk of seeming glib - I would add that right now he has every reason to trust you and other adults - please don't give him reason to loose faith in adult decision making by waiting for the melt down before you take some actions to get his school environment to be a reasonable fit. Not perfect, just reasonable.

Trinity

C
    OP Offline
    C
    We have no worries about the school. If is a very gifted aware school. We were just hoping that there might be some additional benefits we might receive having him in the YS program.

Dottie #3485 09/19/07 01:29 PM
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Dottie,

Did you get a chance to read my post with the details of my son's testing? Did it answer your question?

CP

Dottie #3488 09/19/07 06:41 PM
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    I hope you are right. I spoke to YS program rep and she encouraged me to apply and send in some of his work and/or drawings. I'm hoping they can look past the WIAT scores. We'll see.

For anyone who's child is in the program has it proved beneficial?

Val #3592 09/25/07 11:32 AM
    S
    S
    After reading all this I don't know what to think!!!!
    My daughter started reading early and read the Harry potter books, Narnia and unfortunate events and Nancy Drew in her first grade BLAH, BLAH, BLAH BLAH BLAH! But when they tested her for GT, they said she is ok in English but her math is thru the roof!
    In math she scored 99 percentile in COGAT and 99 in nonverbal.
    She hates writing and especially essays or even paragraphs make her looking around for escape routes!
    Yes, riding bike and catching ball weren't enjoyed either! smirk
    Some one said in another post, some thing about school being too easy for their son and any subject that he has to put an effort is the hated subject.
    That sure describes her!
    Now is my daughter gifted in math or reading?

Welcome SunnyMom,
    Gifted has no agreed upon definition, but some set the bar at the top 5%, some set it at the top2% - since it has no definition, I urge you to look at the question - "How gifted (different from average) is my child in various areas?"

Here's one method to answer this question -

Dr. Ruf link to help you estimate your child's level of giftedness. The checklists start about halfway down the page.
    http://www.educationaloptions.com/levels_giftedness.htm

Getting IQ and Achievement tests in another way. Talent Search tests are a third. It's nice to have a professional's help to tie it all together, provided the professional is competent in your degree of gifted - which is logically, about as rare as your degree of giftedness ((small joke, but sadly true!))

Parenting these kids is wonderful and challenging - post here about both aspects, ok? I'm going to guess that you can't exactly talk freely with your neighbors, yes?

Smiles,
    Trinity

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs